Working as a stylist.

My husband and I wan't to move to cuenca. He is retired I am still working and not ready to retire. I am a hairstylist and thinking about opening a tiny salon or working in a salon. I have been a stylist for 25yrs. Have owned three salons.Is there a need for an American stylist? Thanks.

What better work to do than the work you know best. I think it is a great idea and would be lots of fun for you. Sounds like a win-win to me. If you have certificates for your degrees or training, you want to be sure to bring copies that are both certified and have an apostille (and are translated into Spanish). Otherwise, they may not be accepted.

Thanks for the advice.:)

I think that not only could you have a great salon but you could definitely teach..... I have seen many salons here that use sewing shears to cut with and...... yikes.  There is a need and also a potential market.  Definitely.  It also depends on where you want to set up.... which city.
Robin

hazem elgergawy wrote:

:top:

Looking for a beautiful Russian hairstylist in Ecuador to marry you and live in Egypt?
Good Luck!!

Am also a hairstylist and have asked around as to costs of haircuts (for comparison sake).  Nice salons in the malls (I'm assuming higher end) charge around $10 for a haircut.  My expat friends say they pay between $4-$6 a haircut.  Doesn't sound like a good living to me... :(

I paid $2 last week. I mentioned it to my Spanish teacher and he said $2-$3 is typical for men's haircuts. You'd have to cut a lot of hair to make a living at that rate.

Everything is relative, remember. I'll bet you couldn't live on $1000 a month in Michigan. Here, you certainly can, so that modest income, on a percentile basis, isn't so bad even though I would feel the same initial cringe. ;-)

The point above, to keep in mind the cost of living here is important.  While the cost charged for a haircut is less, so is the cost of living…….so yes, it would be possible but you will not get rich……but you should be albe to live well…..
Vaya con Dios

BobH wrote:

I paid $2 last week. I mentioned it to my Spanish teacher and he said $2-$3 is typical for men's haircuts. You'd have to cut a lot of hair to make a living at that rate.

At $3/cut it would take 333 haircuts to make $1000 gross a month, working 6 days a week that would be 13 haircuts a day.  Then there are the expenses of the business, overhead etc.  That is a lot of hair to cut 6 days a week to clear $1,000/month.

The poster is a female hair stylist. Would assume the majority of clientele would be females. Not that some males wouldn't be clients, but you guys all know for the most part that females spend more, and care much more about how their hair looks than us males do. Think is probably more realistic to find out what the average female pays to get her hair done.

Hi,

I am ecuadorian, and I have paid 30 to 60 USD for  hair dye, hair cut, and brush depending of the place. Those prices are valid for Quito and Guayaquil, of course you can find places where the prices are lower but  maybe not good enough as the other ones.