Texas family with young children wanting help with trip to Cuenca...

Hello everyone....

Its been my hearts desire to relocate to South America for sometime now. FINALLY my husband said its ok to go visit and check it out. So we chose Ecuador after much research. (Planned time of arrival: Dec 2011)

We do not know spanish!! ahhhh!!! I mean I know SOME. But I think my 3 year old speaks better english than I do spanish! Im wondering HOW difficult this visit will be? Will it be so much more expensive since I do not speak the language?

I see the rental prices on craigslist...and I cant help but think that the prices are higher due to the american audience of craigslist. And I do NOT want to get ripped off because Im american!!

So, should I hire an interpreter to help me find a place to rent? But then...where do I stay until I find a place?? I dont want to waste all my money on a hotel..and then I've heard stories about bedbugs in the hotels!

I have my children to worry about...I dont want to end up in a bad neighborhood on the wrong side of town! But how will I know, since I dont speak spanish?

So...anyone out there know anyone in Cuenca that can help us out? I am not asking for FREE help...but some places that Ive researched that offer americans help cost like $200 a night. I'd rather save that $200 a night and put it towards the MONTHLY rent of like $500 instead!!

Okay..so I really rambled on here, sorry! I am just very nervous and wished I had some brethren out there to help me, so I can feel peace.

Thanks for any helpful responses!
Christa

Hi, guys, Ž
I can help you if you decide to go to Quito, but hope you wonŽt be alone in Cuenca... Half of the people on the forum are from Cuenta, IŽm sure some one will respond.
Well, in Quito for 500 monthly rental budget youŽd be very comfortable.
Although many Ecuadorians understand some English and can say a few words, they feel more comfortable speaking Spanish. You still have 3 months before you go, I suggest not to waiste time.
Good luck.
Monica

Girl, you need to take a breath and relax a little bit.  Lack of Spanish is not going to create huge problems or cause you to be ripped off.  How long are you going to be here and what do you hope to accomplish during your visit?  Write me directly at [email protected] and I'll help you any way I can.

ok thanks for the advice...BREATHE, RELAX LOL!! I will email you. We want to be there for the whole tourist passport limit 3 months. But if we like it, we would like to apply for the longer visa. Then we would have to come back to the states and decide if we want to relocate permanatly.

Hello There,

I am an Cuencan that lives now in Boston, MA but hopes to relocate to Cuenca again soon. Live there is very good and I am sure you would be able to find a great community, schools and people that would be able to assist you . As a good Cuencana I can tell you that just in my family I have many wonderful people that would be happy to help you with any information and not take advantage of you. My aunt and uncle after living for 30 years in Florida have moved back to Cuenca and are leading a great live and have many American friends. I you would like to write to me directly I would be happy to give you their information. I am an Spanish tutor so I would reccomend taking some Spanish lessons because you still have some time to learn before you get there.

We are selling our family home very close to downtown. My brother is a real state broker and when you are in Cuenca if you want you could contact her and see the house if you are interested in buying. Good luck with your move. I am sure you wont regret it. I met the last time I was there a very nice couple from Texas with two older children. I could get their contact information for you as well.

thanks marijd....

Cuenca does sound like a great place to live! And i would love to be in contact with the couple from Texas! The cowboys/girls have to stick together! LOL!! Please pass me their infomation...if they dont mind!!

Hi holyrollingstones

Relax, be sure many people is going to help you and your family.
I arrived to Cuenca from the States like 2 month ago with my kids and belongings and I know how stressful can be.
But I have two advantages, I speak Spanish and I have family here that help me a lot.
So, here is my advice: learn Spanish is very important, you can find SOME people in Cuenca that speaks Englis. In business and realtors usually there is no problem but in the every day life Spanish is important.
Be carefull with rentals, I saw how people try to get American people so they can charge more. Try to be well informed about real prices or find someone you trust.
If you don't speak Spanish try to get a good interpreter, it helps.
And, finally, is normal to be worried about the neighborhood for your childrens, we had the same worry, and, again, find the right info from the right people.
If you need extra help or info, feel free to contact me at my email.

Good Luck
Vinny

Thanks Vinny for the response!
I am trying to learn spanish! I have been for years...here and there. I took a class in spanish too...but its like I forgot most of it! But I am still listening to CD's almost everyday. I hope I can learn quickly while I am there! And I will probably hire an interpreter then! Are you interested? lol!

Hello,

You welcome!

I will be glad to help you and I'm interested in your offer.

Please write me to my email:[email protected]