Best place for expat families

Hello

I am soon to be an expat from the Us and I wanted to know what is a good place to live for families where it is also convenient for markets, stores, malls, transportation etc.

Zamalek, Maddi, dokki or Garden City

the best places for expats are definitely the ones mentioned above. public transportation here isn't something Americans are used to as it is below standards. I'm having great difficulty getting around myself to Maadi and Zamalek. which of course are the places to be if you're an expat.

This is the perennial question!!

The basic answer is - whereever it is easiest to get to your work!!!
Everyone has their own opnions on where to live - Rehab, Heliopolis, Zamalek, Maadi, Garden City, 6th October.
Foe every place you will find people who love living there and people who hate living there!

It depends on whether you like liviing in somwhere vey crowded / or somewhere more open!
Yes some places in Cairo have more 'expat shops', etc. - but it isn't the end of the world to have to get there by car - unless you enjoy having a few too many every time!!
All these places have their plus points - but the biggest plus point for me was the commute to work and back.  You work most of the week - and so have to suffer the traffic every one of these days - and to be stuck in traffic for hours on end on the way to and from work - is not my idea of heaven!
Also it isn't necessary for me to be 'on top' of the nightlife. We can drive, I have a car - and to be honest my life is more family oriented than partying evey night - although it is good to do it sometimes.
Most of the more popular areas of Cairo have nice places to eat /visit / shops / malls.  But Also in some of the places it is difficult not to feel taken advantage of - just for the reason that I am an expat and I will pay these extortionate prices for food / drink because the place is in Zamalek or somewhere.

Again where you work is the 'thing' - make your commute the shortest you can.

:top:

biffy wrote:

This is the perennial question!!

The basic answer is - whereever it is easiest to get to your work!!!
Everyone has their own opnions on where to live - Rehab, Heliopolis, Zamalek, Maadi, Garden City, 6th October.
Foe every place you will find people who love living there and people who hate living there!

It depends on whether you like liviing in somwhere vey crowded / or somewhere more open!
Yes some places in Cairo have more 'expat shops', etc. - but it isn't the end of the world to have to get there by car - unless you enjoy having a few too many every time!!
All these places have their plus points - but the biggest plus point for me was the commute to work and back.  You work most of the week - and so have to suffer the traffic every one of these days - and to be stuck in traffic for hours on end on the way to and from work - is not my idea of heaven!
Also it isn't necessary for me to be 'on top' of the nightlife. We can drive, I have a car - and to be honest my life is more family oriented than partying evey night - although it is good to do it sometimes.
Most of the more popular areas of Cairo have nice places to eat /visit / shops / malls.  But Also in some of the places it is difficult not to feel taken advantage of - just for the reason that I am an expat and I will pay these extortionate prices for food / drink because the place is in Zamalek or somewhere.

Again where you work is the 'thing' - make your commute the shortest you can.

Definitely Zamalek...

The best location for you is wherever is nearest for your work!!

Malls - if you don't have a car - taxis are quite cheap here and malls are all over Cairo.

Market / stores - again for the small everyday items all over Cairo - if you live further away from such as Carrefour - taxis again and make a plan - shop once a week.  The souk - unless your arabic is fluent or you like to be ripped off don't go! unless you have an arabic friend / partner who can go with you.  Becuase you are Western - don't speak arabic - don't know the prices - don't haggle - they will fleece you totally!! and with a smile on thier faces!

Transportation - again unless you really speak arabic and know your way around Cairo don't try the microbuses you could find yourself anywhere in Cairo far from where you want to be with your purse / wallet stolen, whilst someone tries to fleece you!
Use Taxis - but always choose the white ones - as they have a meter in them tcalculate the cost. Black taxis - they will just rip you off, charge you whatever they think they can get from you (at least double / triple the actual cost!!) and you will argue forever and if you are not careful they will make big drama!