GOT A JOB IN MUSCAT AND IN DILEMA WHETHER TO TAKE

I wish Mr. Sumitran can give a reply.

I have got a job as Secretary with OMR 550 + free furnished single bed room apartment.

I love to cook myself.  I would like to know whether I can save money.  I couldn't see much details on the cost of living. 

1. I would like to know about the cost of groceries/fruits etc. in particular and want to know cost of this for a single person.

2. Is phone calls to India costlier - how much does that cost.

3. Once I come there on a working visa, is there anything else I need to comply - anyother formalities

4. will i be able to get another job, if my present job is not satisfactory

Thanks
Meena

Hi Meena,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

All the best and good luck in your research.

MEENATVM wrote:

I wish Mr. Sumitran can give a reply.

I have got a job as Secretary with OMR 550 + free furnished single bed room apartment.

I love to cook myself.  I would like to know whether I can save money.  I couldn't see much details on the cost of living. 

1. I would like to know about the cost of groceries/fruits etc. in particular and want to know cost of this for a single person.

2. Is phone calls to India costlier - how much does that cost.

3. Once I come there on a working visa, is there anything else I need to comply - anyother formalities

4. will i be able to get another job, if my present job is not satisfactory

Thanks
Meena

Hi Meena,

R.O. 550 + free furnished single bed room apartment for a single lady is very good !

You can save almost 80% of your monthly salary every month (i.e., about INR. 60,000 every month, calculated @ INR. 140 for 1 Omani Rial). Given the fact that you're single and you wouldn't be buying food from outside you shouldn't have much expense.

See the following responses in relation to your your numbered queries above :

(1)    Groceries would cost you no more than a maximum of 50 Rials/month. Fruits are a bit more expensive than vegetables, so add another 5-10 Rials / month, on an upper scale.

(2)    If you go the approved government route, yes, it would cost you a bit – but on Fridays all telecom operators offer a flat 50% discount on international calls. But there are other (albeit, unauthorised) options like VoIP / Skype / etc., which will cost you only about a fraction of the normal tariff.

(3)    Yes, you will need a medical clearance before getting a proper work permit, in case you enter Oman first on a visit visa or an express visa. But if you've already done your medical in India and have entered Oman on a proper work permit / visa then you only need to undergo the immigration formalities on arrival, after which you will be issued an official Resident Card, which is the valid proof that you are a bona fide expatriate, holding approved papers.

(4)    No, you cannot shift jobs. Even if you manage to find yourself another job (which is very rare), you would have to cancel your sponsorship with your current employer first, exit the country, and re-enter with the new visa issued by your new employer. But given the present accelerated localisation drive, jobs for expatriates have become few and far between and shifting jobs is a rarity, especially for a newcomer.

Some other important points that you must be aware of :

On your arrival, invariably your employer would take custody of your passport, which means you cannot exit the country as and when you wish. Yes, it is against the law, yet 90% of the organisations do that still. That is why it is extremely important that you must be 100% clear about your roles and responsibilities in the job that you will be assuming.

Insist that an ‘Offer Letter' plus a proper ‘Employment Contract' be given on the company's official letter head carrying the Company Registration Number (C.R. No.) and signed by some authorised signatory of the company which you are proposing to join.

God forbid, should something go wrong at your work place then you will need these official papers to lodge a formal complaint with the local Indian Embassy and perhaps even at the Ministry of Manpower, Oman. Without these documents, nobody would entertain your complaints as you don't even have a case. So please make sure and be totally aware of what you're getting into.

Best Wishes !

P.S. Contrary to what you think, I feel that one of the most active topics of discussion in this forum is on the ‘Cost of Living in Muscat' !

Welcome Meena i too from chennai and i am agree with Mr.Sumitran..

Hi Mr.Sumitran

First of all I would like to thank you for your effort which you put in solving the queries of others peoples.

And expecting you to solve my queries too.

Sir I am from India(mumbai), done my Bachelor of management studies with 2years of work experience in Sales.
1) Am looking for job in Muscat, but not getting any proper direction that how to find a job in Muscat, I have tired everything like posting my resume on naukrigulf.com, gulf talent.com, monstergulf.com but not getting any success, Sir please show me a right direction from where i can find a job in Muscat.

2) If I get a job in Muscat, then how much salary i can expect there as a Sales Executive..???

3) And I also want to know which sector is good in Oman to make a career in Sales weather it is Retail,Construction/Building material,FMCG,Telecom,Banking...etc..which is a best sector..???

4) I have 5 year old baby who is studying in Class 1st & my wife is teacher in India, so weather my wife can get a job in muscat in teaching field..???

Sir your help will be highly appreciated

Thanks
Jagdish

jagdish03 wrote:

Hi Mr.Sumitran

First of all I would like to thank you for your effort which you put in solving the queries of others peoples.

And expecting you to solve my queries too.

Sir I am from India(mumbai), done my Bachelor of management studies with 2years of work experience in Sales.
1) Am looking for job in Muscat, but not getting any proper direction that how to find a job in Muscat, I have tired everything like posting my resume on naukrigulf.com, gulf talent.com, monstergulf.com but not getting any success, Sir please show me a right direction from where i can find a job in Muscat.

2) If I get a job in Muscat, then how much salary i can expect there as a Sales Executive..???

3) And I also want to know which sector is good in Oman to make a career in Sales weather it is Retail,Construction/Building material,FMCG,Telecom,Banking...etc..which is a best sector..???

4) I have 5 year old baby who is studying in Class 1st & my wife is teacher in India, so weather my wife can get a job in muscat in teaching field..???

Sir your help will be highly appreciated

Thanks
Jagdish

Hi Jagdish,

With just a bachelor's degree and only 2 years of work experience, job opportunities will indeed be limited.

Look at the online Situation Available columns in the local editions of newspapers (Times of Oman; The Tribune; Oman Daily Observer; Muscat Daily) and tabloids (The Week; Hi !; Y), et al.

Salary for someone with your kind of a background will be in the region of R.O. 250/- to R.O. 350/-. Being Sales, it might invariably be commission based.

Construction / Building Materials sector is very active. FMCG / Telecom and Banking are saturated. Keep trying and take what you get. I doubt if you'll get the option to pick and choose.

Teaching jobs can be got in Indian Schools and Nurseries. It is largely a matter of luck.

Best wishes.

Dear Mr. Sumitran,

Greetings for the day!

I am an Indian Chartered Accountant with 2.5 years of experience in  tax in India with one of the big 4 Audit/Tax.

I got an offer of OMR 800 in Muscat. The company will provide me with annual return ticket to my home and medical facilities. With regard to this I have following queries:

1. Is the salary offered is reasonable considering my experience?

2. I am single now and planning to get married in 2-3 years from now. Will there be any Visa problem for my wife? Also, For a family will this salary hold good? (Although it will increase by that time)

3. Will it be possible to switch jobs there if i dont like the current job?

4. If I plan to return to India, say in 2-4 years, would I be getting suitable roles and package in my country?

5. Based on discussions with my friends, 250 OMRs are enough for a bachelor in Muscat.

Considering all these, should I go ahead with this offer? I have to give a confirmation in 24 hours so appreciate your quick reply. Others view are also welcomed!!

Thanks in advance!!
Jimmie

Jimie wrote:

Dear Mr. Sumitran,

Greetings for the day!

I am an Indian Chartered Accountant with 2.5 years of experience in  tax in India with one of the big 4 Audit/Tax.

I got an offer of OMR 800 in Muscat. The company will provide me with annual return ticket to my home and medical facilities. With regard to this I have following queries:

1. Is the salary offered is reasonable considering my experience? - Yes.

2. I am single now and planning to get married in 2-3 years from now. Will there be any Visa problem for my wife? Also, For a family will this salary hold good? (Although it will increase by that time) - Sponsoring your would-be wife's visa is at your company's discretion. A couple can manage well with this salary if accommodation is provided for by the company.

3. Will it be possible to switch jobs there if i dont like the current job? - No.

4. If I plan to return to India, say in 2-4 years, would I be getting suitable roles and package in my country? - No.

5. Based on discussions with my friends, 250 OMRs are enough for a bachelor in Muscat. - Yes.

Considering all these, should I go ahead with this offer? I have to give a confirmation in 24 hours so appreciate your quick reply. Others view are also welcomed!! - You cannot depend on total strangers to make personal decisions like this. It is your life, your career and your future. So you must take ownership and decide what you want to do with your life.

Thanks in advance!!
Jimmie

Hi Jimmie,

Find my responses against your queries.

Good luck.

Dear Mr. Sumitran,

Thanks a lot for your quick response!!

Just to add on that, the company is not giving me any additional benefits (i.e. accommodation etc..).Currently, I am getting INR 9Lacs PA in India and if I will switch over from here to another Indian company, I'll manage to get around 11Lacs in India. Considering this, is the 800OMR is attractive enough to move?

The current conversion rate is 164 Rs/OMR however, it might go down as the India economy becomes stable. My financial goal is to save atleast 1LacPM if I'll join there. However, with this salary, I can save approx INR 90k.Feeling like underpaid and more so as the increment %age are not quite high.

Grateful if you can provide your expert inputs on this.

Jimie wrote:

Dear Mr. Sumitran,

Thanks a lot for your quick response!!

Just to add on that, the company is not giving me any additional benefits (i.e. accommodation etc..).Currently, I am getting INR 9Lacs PA in India and if I will switch over from here to another Indian company, I'll manage to get around 11Lacs in India. Considering this, is the 800OMR is attractive enough to move?

The current conversion rate is 164 Rs/OMR however, it might go down as the India economy becomes stable. My financial goal is to save atleast 1LacPM if I'll join there. However, with this salary, I can save approx INR 90k.Feeling like underpaid and more so as the increment %age are not quite high.

Grateful if you can provide your expert inputs on this.

Hi Jimmie,

Compared to what you are getting currently and what you could be making in your next job, what has been offered by this Omani company is not really exciting.

This high Rupee-Rial conversion may not last for too long - it shouldn't !

Your only advantage would be the tax-free income. Even career wise working in Oman would be a setback only. Be aware that there will be no regular increments or promotions. Plus, there is always this threat of the job getting 'Omanised'. This is a fact of life here - for every expatriate.

Consider all these factors as well before you make up your mind.

Good luck.

Thanks a ton Mr. Sumitran,

Your advices definately very useful in deciding my move. I am 50:50 now!

I dont think that I'm very positive mow to join.

Thanks and best regards,
Jimie

Thanks you so much sir for your reply.

Your info will help me to take final decision.

Thanks
Jagdish