Confused About Accepting The Job Offer

Hello Dear Friends,

I seriously need some advice from all friends regarding accepting a Job Offer at Muscat, Oman.

I have almost four years of work experience (Three years as Executive Engineer & one years as Senior Executive Engineer). My whole & soul experience rounds around Telecomuunication sector.

Currently, I have got a job offer in Muscat, Oman as International Gateway Monitoring Engineer (Telecommunication).

The company is offering 1250 OMR + Medical Insurance + One Return Air Ticket Yearly.

I just want to know whether I will be able to manage a normal living with my wife and save a bit with the aforementioned offer.

All contrbutions are highly welcomed & warmly apprecited...

Hi shaheen782,

The details provided below should be of some help to you in deciding.

The costs provided here are ballpark figures only, just so that you get a rough idea of the cost of living in Muscat. For example, house rents would vary from neighborhood to neighborhood; and pretty much whatever other costs are provided below would vary on your usage.

According to you, the company is offering you R.O. 1,250/- per month as salary, plus Medical Insurance and one return air ticket every year.

So what about your wife's ticket ? If you have to buy, then that would be an additional annual cost on you.

Besides, see the other expenses which will be on you :

R.O. 250/- monthly rent for a 1 BHK apartment.

R.O. 30/- for monthly water and electricity.

R.O. 150/- for monthly provisions.

R.O. 100/- for monthly transportation.

R.O. 50/- for monthly Internet and Mobile.

R.O. 150/- for living expenses (like DTH TV Channel subscription, etc) and other entertainment.

So the nett in hand would be R.O. 520/- per month.

That should be good enough for a couple to live comfortably and still save substantially.

Good luck !

Hi Friends,

I am working in MNC Company in India as Finance executive and 8 year experience
I have got Job offer from Oman and Salary package 700 OMR PM. I want advise from you.
If I want to shift in Oman with my wife , should I accept this job offer o not.
What is cost of living in Oman? Rent, Food, DTH connection, electrify, Gas, Transport,  other exp.

Hi Bhabesh, are you a qualified CA or just M.Com / B. Com ? Your salary offer would depend on that. Do you have an upper middle class metro lifestyle ? Then u would find it  very hard to manage both ends.

Try this website for cost of living numbeo.com

Hi Srinirajan,

Thank you so much for your advise and I have completed M.com & MBA in Finance

@Sumitran

Thank you really very much for your kind response.
After thoroughly analyzing the provided avergae costs from your end, I think so the offer is good enough to be accepted..:)

Moreover, your friendly & kind advice has really made my vision clear for upcoming days regarding calculating my expenses & savings.

Wish to meet you soon at Muscat someday.

Thanks once again.

Regards,
Shaheen Raza.

Well Shaheen, the experience you have mentioned sounds like very good but offer seems to be not very good .. you should negotiate this offer as ppl i know with this experience getting around 1500 plus

Bhabesh , hi! Since u have Mcom plus MBA u would be expecting to get 2000 RO. That will be okay for a couples stay food weekends etc etc

Dear friend
            go head
best regards
mahendra singh

Bhavesh Ramani wrote:

Hi Friends,

I am working in MNC Company in India as Finance executive and 8 year experience
I have got Job offer from Oman and Salary package 700 OMR PM. I want advise from you.
If I want to shift in Oman with my wife , should I accept this job offer o not.
What is cost of living in Oman? Rent, Food, DTH connection, electrify, Gas, Transport,  other exp.

I feel the salary they offered is low for 8 years experience person

It is very low indeed, given that he has dual post graduation qualification

Hi

OR 1250 is not a bad salary, but you could negotiate more OR1400 - OR1500. However good jobs are hard to come by and Oman is a decent life. I think that you and your wife will be happy here. You will be fine on OR1250 and be able to save.
Very important
1) Make sure your wife's air ticket is covered.
2) Make sure you get decent leave - In Oman if they say you get 45 days leave that includes weekends.
3)If your salary does not include company accommodation then do not take the job
4) Accommodation must be provided - furnished accommodation with all appliances including washing machine.
5) Accommodation must be at least a 2 bedroom so you have a study or spare room - in fact as an engineer insist on a 3 bedroom so you have a study and guest room

Oman is not a bad place to be.

All the best

Perry

ESLPERRY wrote:

Hi

OR 1250 is not a bad salary, but you could negotiate more OR1400 - OR1500. However good jobs are hard to come by and Oman is a decent life. I think that you and your wife will be happy here. You will be fine on OR1250 and be able to save.
Very important
1) Make sure your wife's air ticket is covered.
2) Make sure you get decent leave - In Oman if they say you get 45 days leave that includes weekends.
3)If your salary does not include company accommodation then do not take the job
4) Accommodation must be provided - furnished accommodation with all appliances including washing machine.
5) Accommodation must be at least a 2 bedroom so you have a study or spare room - in fact as an engineer insist on a 3 bedroom so you have a study and guest room

Oman is not a bad place to be.

All the best

Perry

Yes accomdation main one, most of amount will go for accomdation.

Hi there,

You never told us where you are from and if your job offer is presently in muscat.
Out here in the city things have become pretty expensive, its definitely not as it was earlier days.
In short, if you have a tight fist you can save.

All the best

salim ali

Yes you will be fine with this salary, good salary.

Said

Yes, for a couple without child they need 1500 RO as minimum to have a tight budget and decent family residence. With child, they need 2000 / 2250 RO minimum to have a basic life in Muscat.

srinirajan wrote:

Yes, for a couple without child they need 1500 RO as minimum to have a tight budget and decent family residence. With child, they need 2000 / 2250 RO minimum to have a basic life in Muscat.

Mr. Srini,
With all respect, I would suggest you that whenever you state a comment, please mention the basis of it. Trust me, there is a huge community of expats, earning in 3 figures and living comprehensively. Its not about how much you earn, its about how you plan your life being in another country. Might be your earnings are way beyond the others, but please donot degrade the new comers by commenting something which they can't even think of at the moment.

I would suggest you to be specific and precised about the topic and then comment "accordingly", else you'll lose the worth of your words.

Regards,

Hey I am an Electrical engineer and i have 1yr experience in my field. I want to work in Oman. But I have heard that Experince from Gulf countries is of no use in india,u wud be considered as d same as u were in India. Is it true???

And is this country gud for an engineer to work on ???

All comments nd suggestions are welcomed...

Amit Priyadarshi wrote:

Hey I am an Electrical engineer and i have 1yr experience in my field. I want to work in Oman. But I have heard that Experince from Gulf countries is of no use in india,u wud be considered as d same as u were in India. Is it true???
And is this country gud for an engineer to work on ???
All comments nd suggestions are welcomed...

Hi Amit Priyadarshi,

Working in any Gulf country, for any fresher is not advisable, especially when the option is in choosing for working in a much frenetic market like India.

The Gulf market is a relatively tame market, where the manufacturing sector is conspicuous by its absence, to a large extent. The Middle East is largely a resellers market. Therefore learning opportunities are limited. And that's what makes it unattractive for freshers, or those who are in the early stages of their career.

For mid-level and senior-level expatriate employees, they would have learnt most, if not all, of what they would need to learn and so to compromise on their careers for the attraction of tax-free salaries makes it acceptable.

thnk u sir...........

I am having an offer of 700 OMR+medical insurance+2months holidayafter 2 years .company providing its own 1 BHK family accom.utilities paid by them also.only TV will not be there ,otherwise all other basic necessities are provided.my queires are below
1) 1BHK flat- how much it is in Sqft /sqm2 normally- As i am comfortably residing here in India with 2BHK flat since last 6 years.and eaither of our parents ususlly pay a visit to our place.Whether paying a visit to Oman occaisinally  is also a costly affair?
2) what will be the cost of a LCD TV(32")  there and unlimited internet connection both home and in mobile?

2)they confirmed me of a car if I can avail a DL there?what are the cost to have D/L there?

3) what are other costs like moving out for multiplex for movies  and eating out (monthly twice)

will it be wise to get rid of a reputed job back in India(getting 8 lacs P.a.)  and move with 700 omani riyal with all the above points in mind?

Hello

I definitely do not think it would be wise to take this job.

Muscat is expensive and OR700 is not a lot for a family.

To get a driving license will be expensive (OR800) for lessons, and it will take a long time. They will fail you several times even after having extensive lessons.

If they were offering OR 1100 OR 1200 + all the benefits I would maybe take it.

Remember if you have a family you need a car (Taxis will be expensive). If you don't have a license then you can't even hire a car - hiring a car is about 150 - 200 Omani riyals a month.

If you have a good job stick with it. The right opportunity will come later. You can't bring your family here and earn OR700 and also have no car - believe me it will take more than 6 months to get a license and then you will still have to get the car.

Anyway it does not sound like the right job offer - let it go, day goodbye to it and get on with your life.

Thats my opinion. I have a wife and daughter and earn OR1100 a month and it nearly not enough.

Without a car and having to catch taxis you would need about OR1400 a month.

best regards

1) 1BHK flat- how much it is in Sqft /sqm2 normally: well it all depends on construction so really don't know.
2) what will be the cost of a LCD TV(32"): for LCD around 100 OMR and 120 for LED. Unlimited internet by Omantel for 21 per month with 2Mbps speed.

2)they confirmed me of a car if I can avail a DL there?what are the cost to have D/L there: What is DL? if you mean leasing it depends on down payment and period you want to take.

3) what are other costs like moving out for multiplex for movies  and eating out (monthly twice): 2 OMR for 2D and 3 OMR for 3D movies. eating depends where u go nomrally 3 OMR in decent restaurant for one person.

will it be wise to get rid of a reputed job back in India(getting 8 lacs P.a.)  and move with 700 omani riyal with all the above points in mind? well its not a bad offer as you can safe good amount.

quite confused as your reply sound positive and ESLPERRY's reply sounds terrifying.
another query- My wife also has engineering degree and is working  till now,(for 3-4 years) in Training and development department of a reputed organization.
can she, after I get family visa from my company, search and get a job there  or is there any twist to it?

abhiman wrote:

I am having an offer of 700 OMR+medical insurance+2months holidayafter 2 years .company providing its own 1 BHK family accom.utilities paid by them also.only TV will not be there ,otherwise all other basic necessities are provided.my queires are below
1) 1BHK flat- how much it is in Sqft /sqm2 normally- As i am comfortably residing here in India with 2BHK flat since last 6 years.and eaither of our parents ususlly pay a visit to our place.Whether paying a visit to Oman occaisinally  is also a costly affair?
2) what will be the cost of a LCD TV(32")  there and unlimited internet connection both home and in mobile?

2)they confirmed me of a car if I can avail a DL there?what are the cost to have D/L there?

3) what are other costs like moving out for multiplex for movies  and eating out (monthly twice)

will it be wise to get rid of a reputed job back in India(getting 8 lacs P.a.)  and move with 700 omani riyal with all the above points in mind?

Hi abhiman,

Medical insurance is something that needs to be provided to the employee, by the employer. It is a mandatory requirement as per the Omani Labour Laws.

2 month holiday, after 2 years of work is usually extended for blue collar workers only. White-collar employees get 1 month of paid holiday after 1 year of continuous service.

(1)    Most new buildings (built in the last year or two) all have very small room sizes. They use the 1 BHK house size to make it into 2 BHK – for making more money through rent. Old buildings have large sized rooms usually. But maintenance will be an issue. To give you an approximate indication, a new 1 BHK apartment would be in the region of 600-800 sq ft, as opposed to an old house where the floor area would be easily about 1500 sq ft.

Air tickets would of course depend on the destination and the time of travel. During peak holiday season ticket rates skyrocket on account of the demand. During lean season they will be comparatively lesser.  Just for a comparison, a return ticket to Madras (from Muscat) was R.O. 280/- for travel during late June 2013. A return ticket to the same destination for December 2013 (booked now) is R.O. 180/-.

(2)    R.O. 80/- to R.O. 150/- depending on the brand. Internet connectivity will cost you about R.O. 25/- per month. 4G is expensive though. Check Omantel or Nawras website for tariff details.

(3)    Be forewarned. Getting a local Driving Licence is a pain. A very big pain. Cost could go upwards of R.O. 1,000 if you are not very confident. But then there are some who do get it within the first few tries too ! It's not only about driving. A lot of other factors play a role there. I have written extensively on this subject in this forum. Look it up.

(4)    Movies will be within R.O. 5/- each, inclusive of incidental expenses. Eating out in a decent Indian restaurant, for a family of 4 would cost about R.O. 20/- to R.O. 40/- depending on its location.

I don't think it is a good deal for you to leave an organisation such as the one you are in, to come and take up employment at a bargain. Remember that professionally you would lose much more.

Good luck !

Hi I got an offer in Muscat as Team Leader support service and I have relevant 6yrs exp back in India. The offer I got was 650 RO + Bachelor accommodation (Furnished flat)+medical+Air tickets. Please advice on the same with the market rates......should I bargain more and on what all basis can i Bargain?

Definitly... u can leave a normal life with this salary

I  need to travel to Oman in mid Feb for an assignment of 9-12 mnths. The place of  work is Sur. The company has  offered a monthly salary of 1650 OR. Let me know  whether its  sufficient  to lead  a comfortable life. I lov e travelling and  want to explore places. Can somebody help me  with the expenses 7 also how  to find  a 1 bhk or studio appartment or  even on sharing basis.

Hi all I have just got an offer as technical consultant from a company with 1600 OMR with no accommodation and no HRA. I have 11 years of experience in Tivoli tools and I am Mtech. pls let me know is this amount is good enough for family in mascat.

Hi Khanfamily
Your salary is 'good enough' for family living in Muscat... Why don't you search in the Oman forum to know about cost of living & other pertinent details? :/
Here's the link to Oman forum:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=420

To those it may concern,

A monthly income of R.O. 1500/- + will be comfortably sufficient for a bachelor.

If the place of work and stay is outside of Muscat, the expenses would be even lesser.

For cost break-ups please refer to the forum for details.

Most of the required information is already available in the forum.