WARNING FOR EXPATS

PLEASE READ AND BE VERY AWARE - This is more for expat women in Egypt, you DO need to read this it will scare the sh#t out of you - it is the report of a British woman attacked in Tahrir a couple of days ago and may well be the consequence of State TV running a campaign warning Egyptians of the dangers of speaking to or dealing with forgeiners!!!! Please can you alkso post this on your Facebook pages etc. to make others aware.

ibtimes.co.uk/articles/357077/20120627/british-journalist-natasha-smith-suffers-vicious-sexual.htm

Hi
I just read your post on the other website - just came on here to make sure it was also posted!!

Just shows that you cannot be too careful and that modest dress and good behaviour alone aren't enough to keep you safe!!

You can't stress enough about being careful - because if this can happen in what is a busy populated space - then I dread to think what might happen in a more unpopulated place!!

Also as the embassies keep stressing - take care with taxi drivers if you are out alone in the evening / night, and avoid microbuses where possible unless you use them during the busy rush hours on busy routes - never be the last one one (and try to take care that you are not the only woman!!!)

Think sensibly and stay safe!!

Thanks for taking the time to check it was here too BM?

The whole thing scares me half to death - I've lived in Cairo for the past 4 years and had always felt safer here than I did in the UK, sadly this is no longer the case - since the revolution the whole feeling of safety has gone on a rapid downward spiral.

I would like to see them run another campaign on state TV to right the former one - instead of trying to turn Egyptian society against foreigners maybe they could try promoting the fact that forgeiners could bring much needed money back to the trashed economy!

Take care :)

As my other half is EGyptian I have travelled in and out of Cairo alot over the past years and I must admit that the 'feeling' in Cairo is not the same as it was!!

WHen I first came I was younger (slimmer!!!!) and did not focus so much on my dress code and faced no where near the amount of hassle / harrassment that I do now!!

There are certain places that I now don't go by myself - whereas at one time I wouldn't have thought twice.
The first time I came to EGypt - I knew my Husband - but I came as a tourist and stayed in a hotel in al Harem.  If I got fed up of being in the hotel I would get my backpack and walk down pyramids road and back - with very little if any interference - now I wouldn't do it!!
And my daughter (who is a very tall girl for the age of 11) doesn't like going into many shops by herself because of the way the male population stare at her and the comments that they direct at her!! (I can't say men becuase it isn't just limited to men now)!!

I must admit I no lonnger feel as comfortable as I used to.
To not want us here is one thing, to tell us so is the same - but this attack takes it to a whole new level and I would take it as a warning!!
Okay maybe Tahrir Square with all these volatile emotions wasn't the place for her to be - but there is no excuse or defence for anybody for what happened to her.  This attacke was extreme.

And if I am honest - I don't think it is just the TV campaign that has caused this the roots and thoughts behind this kind of behaviour unfortunately run much deeper!!

i think its agood topic to talk about .every country have bad peopls and good peopls so we must avoid the bad peopls by nt contact with them and dnt trust any 1 coz he or she say good words and we must imagin why bad peopls do that with forigens may be coz the clothes coz sexy clothes and we must choice the places we go to .and every weman must have sum thing in her bag to defence for her self.................hope all will be ok forigens and egyptions wemans and mens ....robert

Please lets not debate the issue of sexy clothes versus being covered up invites treatment such as this lady got!!!
There is NO excuse for it at all - but what is worse for me is not even that it took p;lace in such a public busy place - is that the people around saw what was happening and ignored it / let it continue!! Paritularly the women!!
And the number of men that participated - I am sure they feel very proud of themselves!!
I have to wonder what on earth they think of us westerners to ignore this kind of behaviour!!
Shocking shocking shocking!!!

It makes all the harrassment you see and hear, and are on the receiving end of seem not so innocent anymore doesn't it!!

It is sad indeed, that a woman should experience this abuse in an allegedly Muslim country, where Islam preaches modesty and establishes its laws to protect people.

Muhammad (saau) said:

"By Allah, this religion (i.e. Islam) will prevail till a traveler from Sana (in Yemen) to Hadrarmaut will fear none but Allah, or a wolf as regards his sheep, but you (people) are hasty.” [Bukhari]

Safety, safeguarding of honour and property it is paramount in Islam. the moment there is lack of safety in a Muslim country it is exactly when people drop their religion. I've been to Egypt 12 years ago, and I've to say, people fell into immorality and a libertarian lifestyle that brought some of the youth out of control.

When some beneficial restrictions placed by God are transgressed, and vicious behaviour starts to be tolerated in society, you will see men transformed into animals. And from a sociological point of you, when you suddenly allow too much freedom in a society used to rules between men and women, you will see men literally 'hunting' women.

This is not happening only in Egypt, but in different shape, in UAE, Saudi etc. At least they do it more covertly than in Egypt, I must say, exactly because the society is more conservative.

Let's consider that according to Islam a non-related man is not allowed to speak to a non-related woman. What about making sexual comments?

According to Islamic Law, the woman who has been abused in the article has right of compensation from those men, and they would have been lashed and put in jail.

Useful sentence to say to men who might make them fell ashamed, if a grain of faith is left in their heart:

- A'udhu billahi minkum (group) /mink (one)  (I seek refuge in god from you)

- Takhaaf Allah ta'ala (fear God the Almighty)

- A'udhu birrahman in kunta taqiyyah (I seek refuge in the Most Gracious if you do fear him)
  (it is also a verse from the Qur'an).

- Inna lillahi wa inna ila'hi raji'oon (To God we belong and to God we shall return)

- A'udhu billahi min sharrikum (group) / shark (one) (I seek refuge in God from your evil).

Hopefully, when hearing this from a foreigner they will feel shamed. Hopefully.

erikabrio wrote:

It is sad indeed, that a woman should experience this abuse in an allegedly Muslim country, where Islam preaches modesty and establishes its laws to protect people.

Muhammad (saau) said:

"By Allah, this religion (i.e. Islam) will prevail till a traveler from Sana (in Yemen) to Hadrarmaut will fear none but Allah, or a wolf as regards his sheep, but you (people) are hasty.” [Bukhari]

Safety, safeguarding of honour and property it is paramount in Islam. the moment there is lack of safety in a Muslim country it is exactly when people drop their religion. I've been to Egypt 12 years ago, and I've to say, people fell into immorality and a libertarian lifestyle that brought some of the youth out of control.

When some beneficial restrictions placed by God are transgressed, and vicious behaviour starts to be tolerated in society, you will see men transformed into animals. And from a sociological point of you, when you suddenly allow too much freedom in a society used to rules between men and women, you will see men literally 'hunting' women.

This is not happening only in Egypt, but in different shape, in UAE, Saudi etc. At least they do it more covertly than in Egypt, I must say, exactly because the society is more conservative.

Let's consider that according to Islam a non-related man is not allowed to speak to a non-related woman. What about making sexual comments?

According to Islamic Law, the woman who has been abused in the article has right of compensation from those men, and they would have been lashed and put in jail.

Useful sentence to say to men who might make them fell ashamed, if a grain of faith is left in their heart:

- A'udhu billahi minkum (group) /mink (one)  (I seek refuge in god from you)

- Takhaaf Allah ta'ala (fear God the Almighty)

- A'udhu birrahman in kunta taqiyyah (I seek refuge in the Most Gracious if you do fear him)
  (it is also a verse from the Qur'an).

- Inna lillahi wa inna ila'hi raji'oon (To God we belong and to God we shall return)

- A'udhu billahi min sharrikum (group) / shark (one) (I seek refuge in God from your evil).

Hopefully, when hearing this from a foreigner they will feel shamed. Hopefully.

well said sister and bless you!

:one: :top:

Thanks for the sentences to say.
But I must admit that I have learned some altogether very different words and sentences that are a bit more basic (if I can say this!!).

Because I must admit that if these people feared the wrath of God as you think they should - then surely theyw ould not participate in any kind of harrassment - but lower their eyes and walk on by / away!!

biffy wrote:

Because I must admit that if these people feared the wrath of God as you think they should - then surely theyw ould not participate in any kind of harrassment - but lower their eyes and walk on by / away!!

Good cuz u know that this...

Thank you for sharing this information, I didn't know about this.

Interesting article...
One of the worst things about all this, apart of the horrible feelings this girl will carry around for the rest of her life, is the fact that the revolution has been stolen from us women. Now, with all these news in the last months/year, Tahrir is not for us anymore, we have no more rights either to protest or to celebrate. Now itŽs a Midan for Men. I deeply want to believe this was made unpurpose, another way of fighting against protesters. With this, weŽll have 50% less of ppl to worry about..

Thanks and salaam