Al Fayoum advice...

Hi I am planning to visit Fayoum soon. What is the general area like? For example, the people, are there nice places to eat? I'm not visiting for a holiday but to ask for a hand in marriage so will be staying in one of the local hotels. I've seen the Queen Hotel online, is it of a decent standard ?

Also what is the atmosphere like now the Muslim Brotherhood are likely to take parliament? Are there likely to be issues with crime in Fayoum? Is the area predominantly Christian or Muslim residents?

Thanks in advance

Hello Yido86.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Aurélie

Hi
I have noticed that you are from England!?
Be aware that as per travel advice Fayoum is th eonly place in EGypt where they recommend that you take Anit-Malaria medication.

I think you need to ask.
This is a subject a little close to home right now - as since I hav ebeen in EGypt I have contgracted malaria and have just finished the medication to get rid of it from my system.

BR

Hi guys.

Thanks for that info, I called my GP today and apparently I need a 2 week course of tablets! I'm leaving in a week do not sure if it will be enough.

Thanks for your help!

No Yido, dun worry about safety there, but only don't travel with ur own car, or a rented car. and if u have to, then make sure to go and come back during the day.
concerning Muslims and christians every thing has always been fine, and also, fayoum is in the country side where families control the situation and they have always lived in peace.
the problem will be at the food, u won't find a (healty) place there, but u gonna find a decent quality, also fayoum is very close to upper egypt, which starting from Beni swief, and ppl there have their own food traditions which will be very hard for u, so if u're going to eat at ur fiancee's home, make sure not to eat (HEAVY) stuff, and don't eat a lot as well.
and when u drink tea, (TELL THEM) not to boil it, and keep the sugar outside. and it's preferred to be packets tea.

as for the hotel, i've never been in one their, i always stay with friends, but i know Helnan but not sure if u gonna like it, so if u don't like to take a risk, u can stay at Moevenpick at 6.October that's about 70km away from Fayoum, so it's just about 45 minutes. or Le Meridien at EL-Mesa7a sq at Giza, and that's about 80km. from Fayoum, but it's a little expensive.
wish u Peace

Thank you very Cenlin, your post was a big help to me. I look forward to visiting your country soon!

U're more than welcome, and hope u enjoy LOVE :D;)