Family Living in New Delhi????

Hi there,

I'm living in US with my 3 children currently all under 5. There's a slim opportunity but an opportunity nonetheless to transfer to New Delhi for a while but I was wondering what's it like for family living. And I mean with expatriates?

All the times I've been there, i've been there as a tourist so havn't even looked into what it's like to live there?

Is this an idea i should just forget about or could I make it work with 3 under 5s?

I think it is easy to achieve if you have an India husband. If not then again it is easy, but as of now I do not know how. Well, I think if you are in academic field then it can be possible as a teacher either at a university or college or any institutes. Let me know exactly wheat you want. If I can I will help you.

Good morning adventurefamily and welcome to Expat.com!

Francesca

Take it easy its fun! it seems like u are already frightened...:) there is nothing like what u think,u can adjust here easily with your kids!

Hi,We are a Japanese family with two kids ( 4yrs and 1yr old children), living in New Delhi . we already stayed here smoothly for 2yrs long, and 1 more year perhaps. At the star about 3 to half year ,it is a bit hard for living, especially for the children. because of the food and eviornment and wether... but after a little time, it is really very fun place to explore . and so many foreingers here as expats, they have their own circle and area ... My neibour is a british family with 5yrs old kid also, we all get well with here now... when you are coming?

I also will be living in Deli with a child. My husband is a Marine and he will not be accompanying me and our one year daughter.  Any tips on where to live, how to establish a social network and ways to keep my daughter and I safe regarding the food?

Most of us foreingers living in Vasant Vihar. Every Tuesday morning in Hayatt hotel , having a Foreinger social cafe open. As the food, now Delhi has much more imported foods shops and all safe. Only the small meal standing booth which is very locally, that is not safe. otherwise they have so many nice restaurants and places to buy safe food. Food is safe, only the taste is different with ours.

Thank you for the info, I am sure I will have more questions as the time get's closer for my move.
Best Regards, Suzanne

Hi adventurefamily,

I am agree with Duyi Post, it's not that much difficult as you think. India is having three season and every four month season will be change like Winter, Summer and Monsoon. All major good shops food is safe to eat and it's not like that I had seen lots of expats to have a food from Small Meal Standing Booth. Please let me know if I can help you...

The only question will be if you can afford vasant vihar, if you cant, then try defence colony. both the areas have quite a few expats.
Quite a few expats also let out their home to another expat in your case could be a lady.
Delhi has a culture of having house help, specially for kids you can have a cook and a house help

[Moderated]

Believe me you won't have a problem..it'll take a few months to adjust but you should be just fine :) cheers.