Looking for jobs

Hello everyone. My names is Daniela. I'm from Bulgaria. My boyfriend and I feel to travel to Kenya .... Can you tell me the sites where to look for work, how to issue a work visa and what are the safest neighborhoods to live? Thank you!

Hello Daniela,  Getting employment in Kenya isn't particularly easy.  It is against the law to do any kind of work (paid or unpaid), without a work permit.  It is your employer who applies for the work permit and in doing this, they must be able to give evidence to the government that a Kenyan cannot do the job  for which you have applied (Kenya has a very high % of unemployment). 

I have pasted a link below, listing the types of work permit.  However, as an employee, you would probably need a 'Class A' Permit.  Note that this permit costs Ksh 200 000.  The permit is valid for 2 years.

While the application is being considered, you have no right to remain in Kenya beyond the date given on your visa.  I was also informed that work permit applications can be made from outside Kenya (for those who have secured a job, while outside the country).  It can potentially become rather costly, as the work permit application can very easily take over three months, your visa expires and you have to travel out of Kenya and re-enter. 

Note also, that if you are in Kenya for a continuous period of over 90 days, you must register as an alien, at Immigration.  This is a separate process to obtaining a work permit.  Failure to register is an offence, for which you can be arrested.

If you just want to visit Kenya for a 'working holiday', as a volunteer, then there are a lot of organisations who arrange this sort of thing - usually for 3 - 6 month periods.  You generally have to pay. 

There are also organisations, such as VSO and Skillshare International, who employ volunteers to work on their programmes in East Africa.  After a tough interview and selection process, you get a year, or two year position, but your choice of location within the county is limited by where these organisations work.  You get accommodation and a 'local wage'.   

http://www.ihfonline.org/kenyaworkpermit.phphttp://www.immigration.go.ke/index.php? … Itemid=127

Good Luck!!!

(Moderated: Please avoid copy/paste)