Tax consultant / lawyer

Hi,

does anybody know a good tax consultant/Lawyer here?
I need some hints in what i have to be aware of if i want to work as a freelancer instead of employed. Like the Tax procedure, how the conract should look, how a bill has to look in kenya etc.
Would appreciate some contacts. Thank you
Iris

Hi, What do you want to freelance as?  It would be helpful to know.  Do you have a work permit?

i have the possibility to work in company which would organize a class a work permit for me.
But i am thinking of doing some freelance work in the field of graphic Design and conception for my former boss in my home company for example. My new boss is also fine if i would work freelance for him (Travel company - so i do online marketing there and travel offers) but wants to have a fixed contract. So i thought as freelancer ia m more flexible. But what do i have to be aware of. Like how much are the taxes so that i get the same money at least as freelancer compared to when i am employed etc.

Hi,  Your situation sounds quite complicated.  I think that you have to be a little careful, regarding your work permit - a Class A Work Permit is generally issued specifically for an employee and for a specific job.   A different class of work permit is needed for those who are self emplyed - Class H.  I have posted some information below:

https://www.expat.com/en/guide/africa/k … kenya.htmlhttp://www.ihfonline.org/kenyaworkpermit.php

The work permit issue needs to be clarified before any worries about paying tax.

Tax information is below:

Employee social security = 5 % (capped)
Employer social security = 5 % (capped)
Hospital insurance = 1% (capped)
Personal income tax rate = up to 30%
VAT = 16% and is namely levied on the “service” fees

I think that some legal advice would be useful, to prevent you from getting into trouble, or paying out money which you don't have to.  We used the following person:

Mark Macharia Ng'aru   e-mail:  [email protected]

He has done a lot of work for us, and he may be able to advise you on employment issues, or at least pass you to someone.  Mark is knowledgeable, but he can sometimes be slow to act.

Hi email your enquiries to Zeno Advisory [email protected] - working on all aspects of legal, tax and managerial consultancy. Most of our clients are expatriates so will be able to help and advise you accordingly