ABU DHABI FILM FESTIVAL - THE WORLD'S LARGEST OPEN AIR CINEMA

Hi All,

I hope everyone is well. I have already asked my Expat-Blog Meet-up Group about this, and thought there may be many more of you interested in this, but may not necessarily have anyone to go with, so I'm putting this out there to anyone of you who would like to come a long…you are more than welcome.

I am not sure if anyone has realized but the Abu Dhabi Film Festival is well and truly in the boil, and as many of us are not actually from the city, and in most cases not from the UAE, I think it's a brilliant opportunity for us to mix with the locals and other expats. I personally see this as an opportunity for all of us to get involved and embrace this city as our home, and become considered as residents and not expats....I don't know about you guys, but I really don't like being categorized as an expat.

Well next week the Fairmont will be showing movies in an open air cinema (the kind of things you see in the old American movies). Even at my tender age I can sincerely say that I have experienced a lot, but there is a lot more out there I am yet to experience. An open air movie is one of them. And cos I come from a country where it's always raining I can't see that changing...but out here it's a different kettle of fish…has anyone already forgotten about what rain looks and feels like…I for one am someone who can't wait to return home for xmas to experience some cold lol.

Any way the point for this is I am actually very much interested in maximizing this opportunity and experiencing this, so I can return home for xmas and make my family and friends very jealous… and I ask you all if there is anyone else who shares the same level of excitement as me, and if so then why not we all go together.

The following is the schedule and I will send it out to you all via email later this evening:

Night 1 - Tuesday 25th October: The Idles of March
Night 2 - Wednesday 26th October: Footloose
Night 3 - Thursday 27th October: In Time
Night 4 - Friday 28th October: Dolphin's Tale
Night 5 - Saturday 29th October: Moneyball

General Admissions: 50 AED
VIP: 199 AED (including Food & Non-Alcoholic Beverages)

Doors open at 7pm
Film starts at 9pm (on Fridat at 8.30pm)

I would like those interested to let me know which film they would like to watch, the film which receives the most votes...wins

Our meet-up group all meet up on a weekly basis anyway, but it would be nice if more of you joined us, if you would like to introduce yourself to members of our group, then you can go so on the following forum:

https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=104022

I look forward to hearing from any interested.

Mohit

47 Views, and yet no posts...wow. Come on ladies and gents, you obviously have enough interest to view the page, why not have the courage to come a long with us :)

I just saw the post !! I am only free on Tuesday nest week but I looked up the movie and it's classified as Drama !! Well, Drama is the last thing I need in my life now :(
Sorry.

mahalacoste wrote:

I just saw the post !! I am only free on Tuesday nest week but I looked up the movie and it's classified as Drama !! Well, Drama is the last thing I need in my life now :(
Sorry.

Ah what a shame. Well Moneyball is winning at the moment anyway :)

At the moment it looks like its going to be Moneyball on Saturday :)

Hi
I watched The Idles of March. It was awesome! I really love the conflict and storyline of American politics, though very talky but a captivating tale of sex, ambition, loyalty, betrayal and revenge. Its a political thriller with fantastic ending. I like this conversation by the campaign manager - ""You can start a war and bankrupt the country but you can't fuck the interns"". Brilliant!

decent sweetie wrote:

Hi
I watched The Idles of March. It was awesome! I really love the conflict and storyline of American politics, though very talky but a captivating tale of sex, ambition, loyalty, betrayal and revenge. Its a political thriller with fantastic ending. I like this conversation by the campaign manager - ""You can start a war and bankrupt the country but you can't fuck the interns"". Brilliant!

That's really encouraging to hear that you had a great time. We are going on Saturday, I'm personally really looking forward to it. Do we just buy tickets once we get there, or do we need to purchase them before hand? If there is any other advice you can provide it would very helpful.

Thanks.

Mohit

PS: Btw that sounds like a brilliant line ;)

So it has been decided...We will be watching Moneyball, so if your interested in joining us, then please take a look at the details below:

Date: Sat 29th Oct 2011
Time: 1830
At: The Fairmont Bab Al Bahr Hotel
Doors Open at: 7pm
Price: 50 dhs

If any of you would like to share a taxi, then please meet us at Al Wahda Mall (just by the entrance) at 6pm. We will wait until 6:15pm, no later than that.

If you are considering joining us, then please know that you are most welcome, but please let me know so we can arrange a point to meet-up at.

Mohit

Hi Mohit
You can buy tix online. Go to http://swissopenair.com/uae/
Wear heavy clothes, it may get cold outside. Scenery is beautiful. You will love everything. Enjoy!

decent sweetie wrote:

Hi Mohit
You can buy tix online. Go to http://swissopenair.com/uae/
Wear heavy clothes, it may get cold outside. Scenery is beautiful. You will love everything. Enjoy!

Can we buy tickets once we are there?