New in AUH...Struggling To Meet New People...Then Read This!!!

Hello AUH,

I hope this message finds you all well, and if anyone is fasting then Ramadan Kareem.

New in Abu Dhabi or have been here for a while, still struggling to meet new like-minded people...well regardless of your age, gender, size, shape, race, skin colour, religion, background, political views (…and the list goes on) you have this wonderful opportunity to become a part of this new, exclusive social group and truly become a part of Abu Dhabi itself.

I have seen throughout Expat-Blog a number of requests for someone to actually organise something rather just keep talking about it. I have now taken this step to put these words into action, as I wasn't sure whether anything had been done or was ever going to be done. 

The first few steps have been taken to create a cinema club for like-minded people to meet and watch a different movie every week at a local cinema. I would like to think that the movie would be a good excuse to get a gathering together so that we can meet new people and network. And we can all even go out after the movie to grab a bite together. After all most of us have left our friends and families behind, and travelled thousands of miles away, so it is important to meet new people so that you're not left feeling lonely and depressed in a new city.

This is a non-profit making idea, and purely just an exclusive social group with no entry or joining fees or anything like that, you just simply pay for your own cinema ticket and confectionery.

I have made contacts to see if this cinema club can get some special offers only available to its members, so I am waiting to hear back on this. Not only this but I am also waiting to hear back on whether 'someone' would donate some prizes on a weekly basis if we were to run a competition of some kind.

Development of this club is now well on the way as I am close to deciding a name for the cinema club and will ultimately be revealing a logo to compliment the group. I have taken extra measures of looking into flyers, leaflets, and social networking websites to get the word out there about this new and exclusive networking group.

I have even gone as far as looking into t-shirts, caps, and other merchandise to try and develop an appeal to join this social group. The idea is to have membership cards developed for each member, which would go a long way to making this an exclusive member's only social group.

And once again I will stress that this is COMPLETELY NON-PROFIT making. NO FEES, NO JOINING FEE AND DEFINITELY NO COMMISSION!!!

If anyone likes the sound of this and would be interested in meeting up every week to watch a film, and to meet new people, and most importantly feel the need to be a part of something, then why not come a long and join this exclusive club.

For further information please contact me as it would be nice to get a group of at least 10 people together on a weekly basis.

I look forward to receiving some feedback from you all.

Mohit :)

good thinking batman! i'll definatly be there when i finally arrive!   :D

Thanks Becca...lets hope this picks up cos I love my movies, and just thought it would be a good way for everyone to network without hurting their pockets :)

Hurry up and get your butt out here!!! :D

Sounds great to me!

Hey Carol, how is everything coming a long? So when will we be seeing you over here in Abu Dhabi :)

Mohit?!.. ur new official name is Batman !!.. I'm a movie buff too .. sometimes dont have the time for it and other times I acquire an  unrated and uncut version of whatever is showing within a few weeks of release by some other method....BUT .. i do prefer to get out of the house and enjoy a movie with folks who at least understand the dialogue .. laugh when they're supposed to ... dont smoke or light up in the auditorium .. or dont start babbling in arabic when there's a point in the movie where there's no shooting , aerial stunts, car chases, or any other random acts of movie action and violence. i'll forgive the occasional barbic act of having the romantic kissing interludes and sensitive intimate moment  lasting a minute or two cut out of the movie to leave u guessing where it picks up...for a night out...lol

@becca.. pull the hair back and put it in a pony tail and one of thos sleep masks they have on the plane and cut too slits for eye holes in them and I think we'll have either a blonde robin or his cousin superheroine The Canary ...lol

Well just got email about being there Thursday which is the 25th from NYC but they don't have ny daughter on the ticket so we will see.

Oh no. Well I hope everything sorts itself out...and welcome to the UAE :)

Jahbear: Thanks for the new name...I had to actually get Becca to explain it to me...apparently I have a lot to learn lol

Hi everyone :)
I have been in Abu Dhabi for 4 weeks only and I am definitely in. Thanks for your effort.

Hi every body,

It is a great idea Batman (seems to be your nickname ;)) and I am in!

Cheers

Antoine

Oh god...see what you've started now Becca lol

haha awesome :lol:  chuckle chuckle chuckle

Well if I'm batman you can be Robin :p

Hey Carol, you may want to speak with AZgal, she is also in the same profession as you :)

Tammy Carol (Carolinat2) may need your advice, she's coming out here with her daughter.

See this group is already connecting people...I should work for Nokia :P

I'm glad you two have already spoken with each other.

A couple of us on here are meeting for dinner on Wednesday, if anyone is interested in joining us and making a couple of new friends, then you're more than welcome, just get in touch with me.

i would love ti join u people ;)

z1zr in a private message send me your full name, mobile number, and email address and I will keep you informed for when we meet again.

Me and AZgal got some amazing food from Lebanese Flower yesterday, hopefully there is more of us next time...everyone is welcome to join in.

I am hoping to have a small group together to go and watch a film on Friday 9th September, which is the week following Eid.

Hi guys,
Good to know that you enjoyed the dinner and would love to join you next time. Hope you will choose a comedy movie as I really need some fun in my life currently :)

Well the films will be randomly selected on a weekly basis, and revealed once we meet up on the day...the film isn't our main purpose, our main purpose is to meet new people, and that is the reason why I won't be revealing the movie ;)

Aha, nice trick ;) and I totally agree, so let's meet at least half hour before movie time in order to get introduced to eah other. Looking forward.

I agree :)

But lets start spreading the word so that we can have a about 8-10 of us together for 9th Sept :)

I'm getting keytags developed instead of membership cards, so you will be able to put the tag on your key fob :)

Last week not everyone could make it to dinner, but I was wondering if anyone can make it some time this week. I believe today or tomorrow is the last day of Ramadan, so how does Wed or Fri sound? If anyone is interested get in touch. Lets see if we can get a table together :)

Mohit, most people are on traveling this week. So better postpone it till after the vacation.

Oh yea we'll do another dinner for the following week anyway, I'm just crying out to those who haven't got anything to do, such as myself lol

I am available these days if something is on...4 days off and nothing to do !!!!!
Let me know!

That's great, I will definitely keep you updated :)

Hi,
I will be available too

what time tomorrow? What is the meeting point ?

Topic sticked.;)

Thank you very much for that Harmonie...Expat.com meet up it is then ;)

William I'll text you the details later this evening or by tomorrow morning :)

pabbm wrote:

Thank you very much for that Harmonie...Expat.com meet up it is then ;)

You are welcome.:)

then inform me once there will be a meeting somewhere
and for sure i'm in with you guys .... just let me know when and where :)

We are meeting up for dinner tonight at 7pm. If you are interested then let me know and I will send you further details :)

Thanks to all those who came tonight, it was nice seeing so many new faces, I for one had a great evening, probably my best evening in Abu Dhabi so far, lets hope there are plenty more to follow :)

Dear Mohit,

Thankyou very much for your e mail.
yes I would like to join you if I may, please advise whenn youi are meeting next and if available, I will come.

With thanks,

Brian.