Living the dream in Bahrain

As a member of the armed forces being posted to Bahrain my initial reaction was "great, a hot middle eastern country with zero social life". How wrong was I?
I arrived here from the UK in April and as a member of the Royal Navy I am partial to the occasional get together and celebration, any excuse for a celebration really (wow, the suns out, let's celebrate......oh drifting off again).
Anyway I'm keen on fitness so go to the gym daily which allows me to drink guilt free at the weekend :-). I was surprised at the amount of watering holes (bars) there are here. All of which seem to be well populated too. Of course there are the odd dodgy bars where you can pay for more than a drink, areas to avoid, however there are some really good bars. I feel as if I've only discovered a few and am barely scratching the surface with what Bahrain has to offer. Normally hit JJ's bar or Buffalos but I'm sure there are many expats here who could offer advice on some quality bars. I've been to many brunches which are a great idea to write off your Fridays, my favourite thus far has to be the Dragon. Anyway if anyone can offer/suggest a good night out please let me know, thanks.

James.

Hi James!

Welcome to Expat.com and thanks for sharing your experience.

Regards
Armand

Thank you, just think that people should be aware of how much Bahrain has to offer on a social front especially from a westerners view. I'm very happy to be here. Roll on the weekend :-)

Hi Heartbreaker1974,

Welcome to the forum and to Bahrain and thank you for sharing your positive views around Bahrain ! It IS a wonderful place, whatever some people can say. Yes it's not so big, yes after a few years you've seen it all, so what ? It's still friendly, open, welcoming, secure, multicultural, modern & traditionnal, etc... What else do you need ? :D

Bravo for the great spirit and for sharing it !

Cheers

Olivier

PS : I just hope 1974 isn't the number of hearts you've broken !!! :p

Hey Oliver, thanks. There is always something happening on a social front from organised events (like the Amy Winehouse band in JJ's this Thursday night) to the normal hustle and bustle of popular bars on a regular basis. It may be a small place but it sounds like you are of the view that the best things come in small packages lol.

PS: 1974 there or there abouts :-/

Heartbreaker1974 wrote:

PS: 1974 there or there abouts :-/

Ouch ! Stay away from my daughter !!!   ;o)

Have fun anyway...

Cheers

Olivier

Haha, I'm not that bad honest. Thanks for the warm welcome you appear to give everyone (I've read a few of your blogs). You're very courteous and extremely helpful to people who require info on Bahrain.

James