Living half my life in the USA and half in Scotland

@Julien

I have been trying to figure out a way to live half my life in my home country of the United States and half in Scotland.  I am 68 and my wife is 66.  I am semi-retired and she just retired.  I really don't want to work over there - or at least - I don't want to have to work over there.   Nor do I want to return to a university.  I can afford the second home and the added expenses for normal things, but I just got a price of $1,500 a month for me to have health insurance over there. So assuming the same for my wife - I really don't want to spend $3,000 a month for health insurance.  Any ideas?

David

@JulienI have been trying to figure out a way to live half my life in my home country of the United States and half in Scotland.  I am 68 and my wife is 66.  I am semi-retired and she just retired.  I really don't want to work over there - or at least - I don't want to have to work over there.   Nor do I want to return to a university.  I can afford the second home and the added expenses for normal things, but I just got a price of $1,500 a month for me to have health insurance over there. So assuming the same for my wife - I really don't want to spend $3,000 a month for health insurance.  Any ideas?David         -@schuppertdw

Hi and welcome to the Forum.

Not easy.  As you have discovered, wherever you go in the world, there is no such thing as free healthcare, it is also true that you get what you pay for.

You've mentioned Scotland; as a country they are a part of the United Kingdom (so, England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland); with regard to Immigration, there are no special rules for any one of them, the UK Government (Westminster) has primacy in this matter.  The UK does not offer retirement visas to anybody, they just don't exist.  So you still have options, but none of them are going to get you free healthcare.  I assume you have already checked out the UK Gov website that deals with visitors visas, if not, this link will take you straight to it.

One thing to consider is if you are a Veteran, then I have heard of them being able to access US Military medical facilities when living overseas; there are 13 US military sites remaining in the UK, I can't think of any in Scotland, but this link will take you to the relevant website for RAF Lakenheath (despite its name, it is in fact a US military base in England).  If you are not able to use their facility, then you will have to make your own arrangements for medical insurance.

I'm not sure if I've helped, but if you have any further questions, please feel free to ask.

Cynic

Expat Team

Hello everyone and welcome David !

Please note that I have created this new topic from your posts on the Scotland forum for better interaction.

All the best

Bhavna

@Cynic

Thank you Cynic.  Not looking for free health care but was hoping for something a bit more user friendly.  It's too bad that there is not way for countries to work together so that healthcare is more transferable.  I am entitled to Medicare here and pay for supplemental insurance.  None of that does me any good while in the UK.  I guess I will have to settle for short term stays in Scotland.  Too bad because after my second trip there I know I could love living there.

@Cynic
Thank you Cynic.  Not looking for free health care but was hoping for something a bit more user friendly.  It's too bad that there is not way for countries to work together so that healthcare is more transferable.  I am entitled to Medicare here and pay for supplemental insurance.  None of that does me any good while in the UK.  I guess I will have to settle for short term stays in Scotland.  Too bad because after my second trip there I know I could love living there.

-@schuppertdw

I'm afraid that's not on offer to any short-term visitors, only UK residents get Healthcare free at the point of delivery and the only way for you to achieve that would be to work in the UK and even then you would be making a substantial contribution in the first couple of years.