Cash vs. Credit Cards

Hello all,

Wondering whether Kuwait is plastic friendly? Any American expats out there who use their US credit cards? I have one that does not charge a foreign transaction fee, and was wondering  how easy it is to use plastic, especially American ones (American Express, Mastercard, Visa)?

What are some places that only take cash?

dude you dont need to be worried about using your card all the time almost all of places here do take cash,and even i like it too using cash.

Thanks ace117, but here in the states I don't carry much cash. I like using my credit card to monitor my spending and plus it's safer than carrying a lot of cash. So with that said, can a guy in Kuwait go on about his day relying on plastic? Please forgive me as I will be moving to Kuwait in the next 8 weeks so I do not know.

Pretty much everywhere except some of the food places take plastic so you should be good.

Thanks, Kona. Do you recommend using Kuwaiti credit cards or American?

I would go with Kuwaiti. NBK and Gulf Bank have some good ones

me personally I use a credit card geared towards getting miles for my trips.. :D

Try to open account here and get K-Net card.

the thing about using AMEX is that they will charge u in terms of exchange rate. ur better off getting a local card; debit or credit makes no difference. NBK is by far the best as it has the most ATMs in Kuwait, using an NBK card with a different bank will cost u 200fils, as well as only give u certain amounts i.e. no less than 30 or so depending on the bank.

all supermarkets (big ones) have POS machines, and they are conveniently located in Kuwait, so chances are u'll find one close to home.

personally, i dislike using cash, i swipe whenever i can, and keep a minimum of 20KD cash.

so in conclusion: plastic is the way to go.