Scene from downtown Toronto...in the spirit of Ramadan

salam aleikum everyone,

i wanted to share something i witnessed downtown this morning.

first let me set the stage: its grey and raining in toronto today.

on my way back from an appointment, i was walking quickly along college street which is a busy east-west thoroughfare when i noticed a homeless man without an umbrella walking aimlessly about 100 yards ahead.

as i got nearer to him, two young men wearing low rider jeans, big baggy t-shirts, baseball caps on backwards and pocket chains came out of a store with a plastic grocery bag in their hands and walked up to the homeless man.

they tapped him on the shoulder. he stopped and looked at them and i could tell he wasn't quite understanding why they'd stopped him...as i came up next to them i heard them saying "this is for you...we bought this for you to eat"...

the two 20-something fellas were muslim and told the man they wanted him to eat. the homeless man just stared...i think quite frankly in surprise and said "thank you" and took the food.

as i walked on ahead of them my heart just swelled...it always does in the face of kindness but this was beautiful to see.

the two young guys walked back to the store. at this point, i had to look away as i was literally staring at them and people were at this point staring at me because i was standing at an intersection.

i'm not posting this because i'm surprised of the kindness or gesture. i'm posting it because we all need to see and believe in the kindness and generosity and spirit of our high holidays.

i also wanted to share this because i think there is some curiosity amongst muslims who haven't travelled to canada (especially toronto)and i want you to know people do practice their faith here freely. and that is something i'm most proud of.

Salam,

k

We are proud that every one is totally free to practise their own faith in any place world wide!
Actually it a nice real story touches our heart
How muslims act abroad maked me feel proud especially that they helped a homeless old man

Thanks for sharing this story
Ramadan Kareem :)

Salam

Katyusha wrote:

salam aleikum everyone,

on my way back from an appointment, i was walking quickly along college street which is a busy east-west thoroughfare when i noticed a homeless man without an umbrella walking aimlessly about 100 yards ahead.

as i got nearer to him, two young men wearing low rider jeans, big baggy t-shirts, baseball caps on backwards and pocket chains came out of a store with a plastic grocery bag in their hands and walked up to the homeless man.

they tapped him on the shoulder. he stopped and looked at them and i could tell he wasn't quite understanding why they'd stopped him...as i came up next to them i heard them saying "this is for you...we bought this for you to eat"...

the two 20-something fellas were muslim and told the man they wanted him to eat. the homeless man just stared...i think quite frankly in surprise and said "thank you" and took the food.

as i walked on ahead of them my heart just swelled...it always does in the face of kindness but this was beautiful to see.

the two young guys walked back to the store. at this point, i had to look away as i was literally staring at them and people were at this point staring at me because i was standing at an intersection.

i'm not posting this because i'm surprised of the kindness or gesture. i'm posting it because we all need to see and believe in the kindness and generosity and spirit of our high holidays.

i also wanted to share this because i think there is some curiosity amongst muslims who haven't travelled to canada (especially toronto)and i want you to know people do practice their faith here freely. and that is something i'm most proud of.

Salam,

k

salam
it is so nice story my dear,and that is why Islam is great
and that is why ramadan is the great holy month .:D:D
and that's why the Muslims are really people are kind
thank you for sharing this . :):)

hello all, I want to ask u to be in iftar times and u will see in each intersections u will find young men or ladies who give u Tamr(deeds),water or juices and it is normal here.and it happened for me more than once and in different areas and in different years before revolution and after revolution times.

One of the big shots was a movie has been taken in Tahrir i think, for a young man gives to another one tamr(deeds) and the receiver told the giver "thank you ,im not fasting im christian"but the other one "the giver" told the receiver " me too". :D:D

Christians youth helps in Muslims Iftar . this is EGYPT.this how we grown up here. Thanks Allah I'm Egyptian

mero928 wrote:

hello all, I want to ask u to be in iftar times and u will see in each intersections u will find young men or ladies who give u Tamr(deeds),water or juices and it is normal here.and it happened for me more than once and in different areas and in different years before revolution and after revolution times.

One of the big shots was a movie has been taken in Tahrir i think, for a young man gives to another one tamr(deeds) and the receiver told the giver "thank you ,im not fasting im christian"but the other one "the giver" told the receiver " me too". :D:D

Christians youth helps in Muslims Iftar . this is EGYPT.this how we grown up here. Thanks Allah I'm Egyptian

love it mero. thanks for this. it made me smile. :)
k

Katyusha wrote:

salam aleikum everyone,

Salam,

k

Impressive Impressive Impressive Impressive
Your way of describing the situation is woow, it is obvious that you have really been influenced and touched by these deeds.

You know, In ramadan here, ppl are amazing, giving eachothers water, food, and they are so helpful

Thank you for posting this story and for sharing with us this story

mero928 wrote:

Mero, you know what, this story of christian and muslim, and their story about Iftar affected on me alot, I had a big smile and was so happpy and proud when I knew this story
I love that alot:):) thank u for sharing it, because you reminded me of this great story
Cheers

How do you always manage to get my whole body shivering with some kind of happiness with every wonderful post you do.

Ahmad Khallaf wrote:

How do you always manage to get my whole body shivering with some kind of happiness with every wonderful post you do.

God bless you Ahmad!
i think people are inherently good. we make choices that impact those around us and i just prefer to believe in the better part of our nature. kindness to me is the greatest strength. cowards hurt, but it takes courage to extend ourselves with the risk of being rebuked. i was transfixed by these two young guys. they looked like typical "rapper dudes" but they walked their faith with pride and humility. when i see moments like this, i think that's when God's winking at us and telling us not to lose faith in one another.
so glad i'm giving you pleasure with my posts. at times i think i just rant!
salam
k

semsema135 wrote:
Katyusha wrote:

salam aleikum everyone,

k

Impressive Impressive Impressive Impressive
Your way of describing the situation is woow, it is obvious that you have really been influenced and touched by these deeds.

You know, In ramadan here, ppl are amazing, giving eachothers water, food, and they are so helpful

Thank you for posting this story and for sharing with us this story

i think you and i will fill many hours with our thoughts. miss u habibti. will write u a proper note on the weekend.
salam
k

don moe wrote:

We are proud that every one is totally free to practise their own faith in any place world wide!
How muslims act abroad maked me feel proud especially that they helped a homeless old man

Salam

morning don moe, that is one of the reasons why i wanted to share this. i think we need to feed our souls and reinforce our faith through kindness. u demonstrate this. shukran.
salam
k

Katyusha wrote:
don moe wrote:

Salam

morning don moe, that is one of the reasons why i wanted to share this. i think we need to feed our souls and reinforce our faith through kindness. u demonstrate this. shukran.
salam
k

Afwan ))))
And I was sure u will understand me in this issue :)

Salam

Katyusha wrote:
Ahmad Khallaf wrote:

God bless you Ahmad!
i think people are inherently good. we make choices that impact those around us and i just prefer to believe in the better part of our nature. kindness to me is the greatest strength. cowards hurt, but it takes courage to extend ourselves with the risk of being rebuked. i was transfixed by these two young guys. they looked like typical "rapper dudes" but they walked their faith with pride and humility. when i see moments like this, i think that's when God's winking at us and telling us not to lose faith in one another.
so glad i'm giving you pleasure with my posts. at times i think i just rant!salam
k

Don't ever feel that way, you are always supporting us not to lose faith and you are the one who feed our souls and reinforce our faith through kindness.
Waiting for your e-mail, and couldn't wait to see you and have a real chat:)
tc

semsema135 wrote:
Katyusha wrote:
Ahmad Khallaf wrote:

God bless you Ahmad!
so glad i'm giving you pleasure with my posts. at times i think i just rant!salam
k

Don't ever feel that way, you are always supporting us not to lose faith and you are the one who feed our souls and reinforce our faith through kindness.
Waiting for your e-mail, and couldn't wait to see you and have a real chat:)
tc

God bless you yas, you just made me giggle! seriously, when i get my teeth into a topic i feel strongly about, look out! i loved your comment in the other topic that i'm egyptian underneath! who knows, maybe i am. why else do i feel such an affinity for your country and people?
salam
k