Immigration to Malaysia

Hi,

I have been offerred a job in Malaysia (Cyberjaya) as Manager in Back Office Operations.

I have 14 years Experience in Capital Markets and am currently based out of India. I am a post graduate in MBA with lots of additional qualifications and international work experience
I have a wife and a kid and aspire to educate myŽdaughter in an International School in Malaysia.

Plus we would like to live a decent life - Fully Furnished rented house ( 1000 sft to 1500 sft ) and a good car , in Malaysia

We would also like to eat out on the weekends and visit the neighbouring contries .

Please could you guide / advise what CTC ( Gross and Net ) is  aceptable as compensation to live a good enough decent and above average life in Cyberjaya / Bangsar looking at my aspirations, experience and qualifications.

I have been made aware that I will have to contribute 11% to PF and 26% as tax .

Please advise urgently

Regards
Sneh Kumar Singh

Well I can suggest you to ask abt 20-30% hike based on the previous ctc assuming u are having the same life style with tht ctc in tht place.

Well I can suggest you to ask abt 20-30% hike based on the previous ctc assuming u are having the same life style with tht ctc in tht place.

Thanks Vijayrajan, I am currently in India and the salary that I have been offerred is RM 15000 per month . Pls let me know if it is good enough to move Malaysia . I will have to support a family of three  with education in International School

your welcome sneh :) as far as i know its a good package what they have offered you and school part i have no idea but you can google and find out abt it. Cost of living is fine here the food is cheap and you do get indian food here :) You can always support your family but again depends on what kind of luxuary life you want to lead. With all modern aminities its worth :) All the best for it.

Hi,
I can tell you something about schools. The "good" schools which teach the American or British curriculum have a fee structure which involves a "non refundable fee" of around RM20,000 per child. This doesn't include the 1 term deposit and the fee that starts to range from RM9,000 per term (3 terms in a year). Do google the schools that you might want to consider just to get an idea of the price bracket and where you would fit in.

British Curriculum:-
1. Alice Smith International School, Garden International School, British International School, Nexus International School, International School @ Desa Park City ( high fee category);
2. ELC International School, Tenby International School, Kingsley International School, Regent International School, Sayfol International School, Mutiara International School ( lower fee category);

American Curriculum:-
1. International School of Kuala Lumpur, Mont Kiara International School ( high fee category).

Indian Curriculum:-
1. Global Indian International School, Vikas International School.

IB curriculum:-
1. Fairview International School.

I would suggest that you negotiate with the company to pick the tab for your kid's education, or at least 50% of the deposits and fees, if they agree then you have a good pool of schools to pick from.In terms of school fees, the American Schools are the highest in fees, followed by the British Schools in the 1st group. The Indian schools aren't that expensive but the horror stories I have heard of unqualified teachers & teachers leaving suddenly is enough to put anyone off. The 2nd category of British schools are cheaper than the 1st group but have teacher issues as well. I have heard that the IB offered here is nothing like as what a true IB school should be offering so if you are looking at the IB school, do your homework very well.

The salary of RM15,000 offered to you is good for a comfortable living lifestyle as you mentioned in KL as food is reasonable, rent is also reasonable but depends on the area to live in which you are looking at. If you can sort the schooling out with your employer then you look set....

I mostly agree with the above, however with 14 years experience in BO ops in cap mkts 15k RM is too low. Remember in KL you have to pay taxes from that, school fees, medical fees/insurance etc. You are Malaysian I note but costs are up!

15k + housing + all medical bills + 100% education costs + EPF then ok.

a local AVP in a bank in middle/back ops got 10-12k 8 years ago (I dont know the rate recently but lets say 12-14k now). The assistant below got 12k due to union regulations and overtime payments (I used to be a consultant and had access to pay rates). Your position will be VP I guess. so 15k no very low but sounds  a little low. With the perks I would argue for then ok.

Local pay scales are low in banking as there are other cash "perks" as I am sure you are aware of lol. As a Malaysian returning to Malaysia you are considered local not an expat (friends were in that sitiation) so hard to argue for non-cash perks. But it does save face if perks given rather than extra cash.

Good luck with negotiating

Your experience seems impressive and does not commensurate with the package oferred, definitely. But back office operations usually do not command competitive remuneration. But even then you should ask for a very basic minimum of RM 250K annual.

Theoratically you can live by extremely happily with RM 120K or less per annum.

Cheers,

DA

devilsadvocate wrote:

Your experience seems impressive and does not commensurate with the package oferred, definitely. But back office operations usually do not command competitive remuneration. But even then you should ask for a very basic minimum of RM 250K annual.

Cheers,

DA

However I note op is a Malaysian citizen - an expat back office person yes too low. Malaysians get half of a expat with same ability. That's how it works sadly

Nemodot wrote:
devilsadvocate wrote:

Cheers,

DA

However I note op is a Malaysian citizen - an expat back office person yes too low. Malaysians get half of a expat with same ability. That's how it works sadly

Hi Nemodot,

Honestly I am not familiar with remuneration packages for back end operations.

Having said that I know Malaysians with about 10 years experience with a basic degree drawing between RM 180K and RM 240K. These are client facing officers in Financial Institutions. With bonuses, which the banks seem to be very generous with, higher up you are on the ladder, these chaps seem to draw very generous packages. Hence using that as a benchmark, Mr.Singh may have ample room to negotiate.

Cheers,