Rent a flat or a house in Bali

Finding a place to live is a priority when settling in Bali. Your experience will be of a great help for the members who want to settle in Bali.

Therefore, we have prepared some questions for you:

Is it hard to find a flat or a house for rent in Bali?

How to find a home in Bali: classifieds, real estate portals, real estate agencies?

How much is the rental for a house, an apartment?

What are the formalities or the required documents for renting an accommodation?

Which advice would you give?

Thanks in advance for participating!

Hi, Christine,
Glad to meet you on this forum. My Name is Komank. Balinese Real Estate Independent Broker. Well, I wanna try to give any information and advice to you and all Expat-Blog member;
Q: Is it hard to find a flat or a house for rent in Bali?
A: Actually it's easy if you trust one of Property Agent or
    Broker to ask further information about property (generally)
    or in this case is house for rent. They will glad to help
    you to find out depend on your order. Discuse with them.

Q:How to find a home in Bali: classifieds, real estate portals,
  real estate agencies?
A:You can browse in to the Web and contacting them to ask more
  information as you need.

Q:How much is the rental for a house, an apartment?
A:The cost is depend on type, total room, facilities,
  environment and the important one is location. For eg.
  house/apartment in Kuta and near the beach is more expensive
  than in  Kerobokan or Denpasar area, and depend on rental
  period.(daily, monthly, or yearly) start from $1,000 a month -
  $3,500. Average $18,500 yearly.

Q:What are the formalities or the required documents for renting
  an accommodation?
A:ID (Passport, Visa, or VoA), KTTAS/KITAP, IMTA, etc discusse
  further with your Agent/Broker.They will help you.

Oke, that's my suggestion, Hope it would be usefull to all reader.

Regards,
Komank

How many family member you have and what is your budget?

Hi komank_wirya!

Thanks for your contribution ;)

@ jayati jayati rinck : These are general questions.

Regards
Armand

Hi, Mr.Armand,

You are welcome. I will give an information as much as possible I know to all Expat-Blog member. And I'll be keep going.

Glad to be one,

Regards,
Komank

Is it hard to find a flat or a house for rent in Bali?
no. Since Bali is well-known Internationally, vast information in any medias are available

How to find a home in Bali: classifieds, real estate portals, real estate agencies?
all the informations are useful, when you find it just sort as your requirements

How much is the rental for a house, an apartment?
It depends on how large and how complete are the facilities, location, access to the site. You can find rental price between 30 million IDR and 200 million IDR

What are the formalities or the required documents for renting an accommodation?
In indonesia the citizenship card names KTP, for immigrant you can use KITAS, or Passport

Which advice would you give?
When you plan to rent a house, please first specify your requirements, and how much is your budget. It's enough. And It's good to retrieve information from someone you know/trust

Hi chantipiwi!

Thanks for your help ;)

Armand

hi there - I have tried to answer all of these questions in an article I wrote on renting a house / apartment in Bali for people thinking of moving here or coming to stay long-term, rather than those just coming for a holiday.

You can also check out my Life in Bali facebook page, too, if you want to ask me more.

Cheers!

Hi - I have just added a follow-up post to my one about renting a house, this time about renting a villa in Bali ! I hope it's useful for you guys thinking of coming here for long-term!
Cheers,
Steve

Hi komank,

Some of your answers to those questions although informative, still relatively cryptic, not really direct, clear cut concise information.. for example,, the following questions

Q: Is it hard to find a flat or a house for rent in Bali?
A: Actually it's easy if you trust one of Property Agent or
    Broker to ask further information about property (generally)
    or in this case is house for rent. They will glad to help
    you to find out depend on your order. Discuse with them.
----------------------------------------------------------

Could you answer this question in more thorough clear detail? for example. which precise property agent or broker to ask those details from? most ppl reading these are potential new comers to Bali who won't know anyone or trust anyone yet.. ( i'm one myself) so probably the majority of readers would want more detailed answers such as what i was asking.. names of people. email addresses or something perhaps?

which leads to the next question you answered which was as follows:
Q:How to find a home in Bali: classifieds, real estate portals,
  real estate agencies?
A:You can browse in to the Web and contacting them to ask more
  information as you need.
--------------------------------------------------------------

In my experience of visiting Bali and those who i have interacted with, most locals will say renting and finding houses is mostly about "word of mouth" in Bali,, and there is little information about this on the internet.. some but very little.. not enough hence why many locals directly told me it's all "word of mouth" and that i do believe from the lack of detailed information i have found on the internet about it.

So my question following on from your answer above is,, what precise websites have detailed listings of many rentals all around Bali? long term rentals, not holiday rentals ,, there's many of those.. also where you said browse the web contacting them,,, contacting who precisely? can u provide names, email addresses, business names etc of those who u know are trustworthy as per the first question i pointed out above that u answered...

in summary can you provide specific, thorough, comprehensive, concise, clear cut details to those questions? :)

Cheers
Brian

We own seven Villa's for long term rental in Bali.

Because most rental accommodations in Bali are owned by individuals with just one house for rent they can usually not afford a web site. There are no pure "rental agencies. All the Real Estate agencies here are both sales and rental.

Finding a place to rent in Bali is identical to finding a place to rent anywhere outside the "Western World". First start with the local paper, The Bali Advertiser is on line. There is a large real estate section.

Next obtain a list via the web of real estate agents in Bali, Ray White, L.J Hooker for example then email them. You will need to tell them exactly what your accommodation needs are, how many are in your family and which is your preferred location.

Having said that, what most people who want to stay for an extended period do is book short term hotel accommodation then spend the next week or so looking at what the Real Estate agents have available then decide after inspecting.

One of the issues associated with long term rentals here is that due to the difficulties around enforcing lease terms, 12 months leases for example normally have to be prepaid for the entire period. Recently some owners have been offering monthly payments. We just decided to take a monthly payment client who both him and his wife are school teachers who just did not have a lump sum but had 12 month employment contract so we had sufficient comfort to be able be flexible.

Lastly, many agents not only live of their 5 or 10% commission they demand from the owner they also mark up the rent and have the owner kick back the difference to them. By coming here and firstly short term hotel renting then visiting lots of properties one can quickly get a good idea of the "market' rental price within whatever area one is looking for the quality and type of accommodation sought.

Thank you ibanez and EKULZ for your input. :)

Aurélie

Thanks that was very helpful :)

@ibanez - have you arrived in Bali yet? Always interested to hear if the information you read before going was accurate!

Cheers