If you dream of staying for a year in Hong Kong, why not apply for the Working Holiday Visa (WHV)? More details in this article.
Traveling to Hong Kong can be an interesting professional and personal experience as a student or young professional. In fact, the numerous opportunities available in this Special Administrative Region have been attracting young foreigners for a few years. Indeed, by choosing the Working Holiday Visa (WHV), you can not only work but also study and enjoy a pleasant holiday in Hong Kong for a year. So why not seize this opportunity like many other have before you?
Good to know:
The Hong Kong WHV is available for nationals of the following countries in different annual quotas: Australia (5,000), Austria (100), Canada (200), France (200), Germany (300), Ireland (100), Japan (250), Korea (500), New Zealand (400), United Kingdom (1,000).
You will be eligible to the WHV Hong Kong provided:
- you are between 18 and 30 years old
- you are ordinarily residing in one of the above-mentioned countries
- your main purpose of traveling to Hong Kong is holidays
- you do not have any dependent (spouse or children)
- you have a valid passport for the whole duration of your stay in Hong Kong
- you have sufficient funds to support yourself during your stay (a bank statement or official letter is required)
- you have bought your return tickets (or proof of sufficient funds)
- you have subscribed to a health and repatriation insurance which will be valid during your stay in Hong Kong.
Good to know:
If you satisfy these criteria, you will be allowed to work for a maximum period of 6 months in Hong Kong, and even enroll for higher studies while enjoying your holidays. However, nationals of some countries are not allowed to work for the same employer for more than three months. You will find more details on the Immigration Department website.
To apply for the WHV, you have to produce the following documents to the Hong Kong embassy or consulate in your home or host country:
- a duly filled and signed ID(E)940 application form
- your passport (valid for the total duration of your stay in Hong Kong)
- a passport-size identity photo
- a bank statement proving that you have sufficient funds to support yourself during your stay (varying between HK$14,000 and HK$ 25,000 for nationals of different countries)
- your return tickets
- proof of subscription to a health and repatriation insurance
- fees applied (to be paid by cashier order or bank draft in Hong Kong Currency as it will be returned to you in case of rejection).
Traveling to Hong Kong
Once your request has been processed and accepted, your visa should be issued within two weeks. You can then fly to Hong Kong within three months following the date of issue. Once in Hong Kong, you are allowed to stay for a maximum period of one year as from your entry date. You will be allowed to work and enroll for a study or training course.
Once your WHV has expired, you will not be eligible to another WHV under the same scheme.
Immigration Department – WHV www.immd.gov.hk/eng/services/visas/working_holiday_scheme.html
Immigration Department – WHV application form www.immd.gov.hk/eng/forms/forms/id-e-940.html