Updating Passport with Bank of China from abroad?

I haven't been back to China since before the pandemic and need to update my expiring ID card with Bank of China which, in my case, is just my foreign passport. I tried using the app to do it but it couldn't recognize my passport as an ID and wouldn't auto-snap the picture- and I couldn't find a button to force it into taking it.

Does anyone have any advice? I can't get to a branch in China but I could go to the Bank of China in Toronto, but my understanding from them in inquiries past is that they have no direct connection to accounts in mainland China.

Hoping someone here maybe has some idea what can be done here to prevent my account from being suspended until I can actually get to China.

Thanks!
Adam
Hi Adam,

Welcome on board !

I hope members will be able to guide you.

There's no customer service/mail, they can be reached out by ?

Regards,
Bhavna

@Adrade update password ID should go to Bank of China dirctly, App couldn't modify that.

Hello stellachen,

Welcome to Expat.com :)

Thank you for your input.

Were you in that same position before?

Feel free to tell us about your experience so far.

Cheers,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

@Adrade

Hi, directly go to a Bank of China branch nearest to you, ask a clerk there, and your problme is fixed.   

@王先生 Thank you. So, am I able to visit the Bank of China branch in Toronto and update my passport there? The last time I reached out to them in Toronto, they told me they were considered a separate bank and can't help. I would be willing to travel to just about any place that is open in order to make the update, but the long quarantine required still in China would make travel there for me just about impossible right now.

@Adrade Hi, do you mean your passport has expired?  In that case, you're supposed to get it renewed before you go to Bank of China office, as no bank issues passport. Am I correct?

Yes, my passport expired and I have already renewed it. Now, it needs to be updated with the bank or they say they will suspend my account. But, I am unable to travel to China. The Toronto branch cannot help as they only operate as a Canadian bank, so I will contact the New York office tomorrow to see if it may be possible to update it from there.

@Adrade Hi, It seems your Bank of China account has been frozen and locked? And not a good time these days to travel to China due to the pandemic. You'll have to be quarantined for 7+3 days at your arrival.

Good luck. Find me at WeChat ***if you also use it.

Moderated by Cheryl last year
Reason : No contact details on the forum please.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

I know someone who came through a similar situation , but the way they resolved it was by hiring a local agent and he updated them on his behalf in China , but he already left so l cannot ask him anymore detaikes

@Johnmwash I would happily do this. If you know in any way how this worked out, I would take any advice.

I would advice to first contact the department of foreign affairs within the bank, contacts are on website , grasp the full picture first, then find someone there or local agency (be careful though)

Make sure you are sure it's a legit agency.a copy of your new passport print and other needed documents and a letter giving the person right to act on your behalf , many templates are available online, l personally used this method twice when l was in China and l needed to update some documents. But things in China are ever changing so it might not work, but if it fails l will ask around for more info.

You need to do it in person AT THE SAME BANK that your current account is in. There are ZERO exceptions.

• APPs will not work.
  • Other Branch offices will not work.
  • Having a representative with a legal document will not work.

This is bank policy. It has not been changed.

The advice of using a third party is questionable. The advice of using a legal document is questionable. The advice of going to the embassy is questionable.

Do not believe them.

I have been in this situation on numerous times.

• First was in 2002, and I was in Erie, PA, USA. It was resolved when I got my passport, hopped on a plane to China and took care of the matter face-to-face.
  • The second was in 2012. I was in Shenzhen, and my BOC was in Shanghai. It was resolved when I got on a plane, flew to Shanghai and took care of the matter face to face.
  • The third time was in 2020. I was in Zhuhai. My bank account had been transferred from Shanghai to Shenzhen. To resolve this, I had to hop on a plane, fly to Shanghai, then to Shenzhen, then to Zhuhai. I resolved this matter when I met with all three of the bank officers face to face.

When you go to the branch, take your old passport along with your new passport together. Make sure that you also bring your latest residency document.

You will need to have an active QR to enter the bank. Make sure that you have all that squared away, and please don't be "the ugly American" and refuse to wear a mask. Nothing embarrasses me more than watching this kind of clown-show play out.

Bank rules for BOC are fixed and unmovable. It makes no difference where you live or where you are you MUST go to the bank branch where you opened up the account.

Going on your own definitely is the most risk free plan.

Yep you have to go to the bank in China. I have a friend that went on vacation early 2020 before the country locked, he has still not been able to get back. His account is unusable because of the expired passport situation.

Hi Adam,

I have updated my ID card info through the bank's APP, but , as a local Chinese. I guess, if the APP doesn't work for foreigners/passport, you could contact with the Bank of China and ask your manager to provide an online way such as email/wechat so that you can send your new passport to them for renewing... I have a bank manager who serves me who deals all sorts of such issues for me.

I can understand the Bank of China Toronto couldn't do that for you being a totally separate independent business entity  ...

Hi,

You can try this (I am having the same issue as you do)

Since I have never had a Chinese ID card (only travel passort -Russian Citizenship)  I am unable to update my info after my passport got expaired and I got myself a new passport.

Call the bank/message via 客户服务 in the app

Ask for the telephone number of the branch where you got your bank card issued (they will ask you to verify urself so you need your bank card on you)

Call the branch and persue for documents submission via your email

1% chance of success

(I used skype for calling, makes it so much cheaper with 0.023 EUR per min)

Hi everyone.

I am currently in the same situation. Presented myself at Bank of China with my old and new passport,valid residence permit... but they still found a way to tell me it's not enough. They asked for an authentification document that testifies the two passports are linked and belongs to the same person; me (that is if it doesn't appear on the two passports).

Just Be ready in case .... still waiting for that document from the embassy though !

@Micbg I'm in the same position, did you manage to get everything resolved? Can anyone update on what authentification documents are required (if passport numbers are different), I found that my consulate in China will not authenticate passport authenticity (not very helpful as usual). I found it impossible to communicate with the local branch and the International helpline will not advise. Thanks