Construction Costs 2022

I have land and a house design using a lot of steel and glass in hill south of Nosara.

What is the present estimated per sf or per m costs? 

When calculating total f2 (or m2) is the garage included? Are open exterior porches included? 

Does the estimate cost provided include all permits, water, sewer, electric and internet, appliances? 

Thanks to all willing to offer opinions!

When we built in 2014 the total footprint of the house / garage / covered deck area and balconies were included in the cost per square meter.  You will have to check with your builder or architect regarding the water, sewer, electric and internet.  Ours included the water, septic, and electric, but if we had chosen internet, that would have been out of our pocket.  Appliances were included in ours as we brought all new appliances from Canada and I provided the sizes to my architect. 

We had (and have) an excellent relationship with our architect.    He is now a good friend and I have sent a lot of people to him.

I can give you the cost per square meter for 2014, but that will not help today.

Cheers .... Terry

@TerrynViv great info! Would you mind sharing your architect's contact info? (private message) Also, if you could give use the price it'd be great, thanks!

@TerrynViv I am planning to do the same thing. I'd greatly appreciate the architect's contact detail and other relevant information. Thanks you.

sbgutwin.......$150 to $200 a square foot and rising,that is with the garage,decks and septic.Permits,appliances are separate.Nosara had stopped issuing water letters,did you get the OK finally ? 

Edwin is spot on construction costs up 30% since we began the design of our project in 2019.

When a reputable builder does your home, he weighs certain areas with certain percentages of overall cost.  For example, an open air garage or porch will carry less weight per square ft (or meter) just because of less materials (framing, borders, etc.).  

Your overall budget is extremely important as there is so much leeway in materials costs depending on your connections.

That is just the beginning, the nightmare of CFIA certifications, water permitting, electric permitting, local permits, the list goes on and can seem like a bureaucratic and red tape Armageddon. 

Hopefully that helps......

Why don't you look for a maestro de obra and a peón, wouldn't that be cheaper? And you're actually hiring people that need it. It's my understanding they make around 2k and 1.5k colones respectively.

Why don't you look for a maestro de obra and a peón, wouldn't that be cheaper? And you're actually hiring people that need it. It's my understanding they make around 2k and 1.5k colones respectively.

- @antitruster50
 Per hour I meant to say.

Raises hand uhmm does your archetype help people in the southern pacific?  

Ziminar.......The Southern Zone like Nosara,the prices are global for everything and rising !

Littletower, Henrych and
Ziminar, 

I sent you a PM with the Architect's information.

Best of luck!

We are having a house built just south of Quepos.  It is  in rain forest, private community, ocean and jungle views. The house is tri level, 3 bedrooms, 5 bathrooms, infinity pool, covered car port.  Came with water, electricity, and fiber optic internet. Construction cost $336,000.
Our architect is also our contractor. Great guy

@levinmark25 - I'm looking to build next year, can you please send me architect info?

@levinmark25 Thank you for the details. I am looking now for the land and will be building a house. I have one opinion but would like to have at least two to compare. Terry has already referred me a great guy. Could you please share the contact info of your architect please. You can do that privately if you don't mind.

@levinmark25 yes, share the contact of your architect please! thanks!

Folks, have anyone dealt with Brian McLane, who builds the houses at the development called Altos de Antigua, close to Puriscal? Any pertinent information is highly appreciated.
I met the Canadian man once and I know that he had a good reputation. The location of his development is in a very nice area.

@levinmark25

hello I'm about to build near estrillos, would you mind sharing your architects info?

@levinmark25 hello I am about to build a house near estrillos. would you mind sharing the info for your architect ? thanks

@TerrynViv - Hi, could you Pm me his info too?

thanks

I would advise that whomever you use you check them out with the CFIA because it is literally the only recourse you have that won't cost and take as much as the home itself.

Build cost is currently anywhere from $1200 a metre up. costs have risen recently. High end houses are minimum $ 1500 a metre.

There is a lot of construction which means getting a good builder takes time. be prepared for a 2 year process.