Cost of living in the Philippines in 2022

US dollar has strengthened against the piso by 5%. My pension got a 6% COLA this year. Investments running 10%. I have yet to collect SS. So everything is pretty good.
@Cheryl
Living Expenses 2022 in Cebu City, specifically Talamban area.
Monthly LOCAL Recurring Expenses       
USDLRS/Pesos
$(160)     (8,000) Partner/Caregiver
$(360)     (18,025)    Lease - 600 Sq. Ft Furnished Condo.
$(196)     (10,000)    Electric, LPG, Water
$(36)     (1,899)    WIFI - Globe Fiber
$(25)     (1,300)    Cell Phone Load
$(700)     (35,000)    Food, Wine & Beer, and Household
$(100)     (5,000)    Restaurants, GrabFood
$(50)     (3,500)    Transportation, including Grab & Motorbikes
$(50)     (2,500)    Govt Fees - Visa Renewal & ACR-I
$(200)     (10,000)    Medical - Prescription/OTC Drugs-Blood Tests (This cost is typically not included in cost of living estimates)
$(200)     (10,000)    Miscellaneous Expenses
Bases on Actual Expenses for last three years living here.
No Car - Just use Grab (Uber) and Taxis for typical weekly travel to Malls and Supermarket.
Add for any major purchases - Cooking Appliances, new Beds, Large Screen TV, Better Air Conditioners, Better fridges, etc.)
Add for Travel back to home country, or any Asian Trips (About $2,000 for one week for two people).
Add for Helping Partner's Family back "In The Provinces") Maybe about $1,000 per year.
Add for Building a small 250 - 300 Sq. Ft House in "The Provinces" for Partner for her future living - Maybe $5,000
These are realistic Costs. Hope they are helpful.
Regards,
Talamban
@talamban
:thumbs up:
How many people?
35 000 pesos sound high if not 3 or more people, because I spend 12 000 pesos for such in expensive Sweden :)
Coach53 - Two people plus occasional visit from Family. Average of 5,000 Pesos per month for Wine and Beer with Dinner. Includes Household items for cleaning, laundry, shampoos, soaps, etc. Was a little less before some Inflation. Meat purchases mostly Pork and Chicken, Seafood on Fridays, and Steak maybe once a month. I track my expenses carefully, and it is now about 35,000 Pesos Average per month. Does not include any 3 - 4 Fast food Deliveries of Pizza or Jollibee's.
Regards,
Talamban
That price list come the end of the year may be looking a tad optimistic. The latest inflation rates for the USA & UK respectively are 7.9% & 7%.

The Philippine government like many emerging economy nations subsidises food and energy costs but at huge expense to the economy by keeping a lid on prices but they can only do so much. If they bring in price controls expect those supermarket shelves to look somewhat depleted - more grist for those whinging expats to kick off on.
With regards to "lending" money to a relative you better accept that you will not see a single penny of that paid back. You either learn to say NO or be a whimp and give in. I've seen it happen too often.
Too true. Why bother with banks? The relative gets an interest free loan and they get to keep the original capital without damaging their credit rating.
I've got two brothers-in-law (if that's correct grammar) who've both repaid, so if I'm able I'll assist them. Shockingly, I got stung buy church people, "Christians", who were parasitic. Should have known better...
@samahantayo
With regards to "lending" money to a relative you better accept that you will not see a single penny of that paid back. You either learn to say NO or be a whimp and give in. I've seen it happen too often.
_________________________________________________________________________________
When I give out of pocket loans (small) I never expect to be paid back. Actually I tell them it's a gift, so there is no lost friendships or embarrassment.
When I was last in Makati I saw a foreign guy with a t-shirt which had on the front ATM. Was that you?
I've got two brothers-in-law (if that's correct grammar) who've both repaid, so if I'm able I'll assist them. Shockingly, I got stung buy church people, "Christians", who were parasitic. Should have known better...
- @gsturdee
Why "shockingly" ?   :)
Dont you know many christians - including WHOLE Vatikan - are among the worst hypocryts claiming they are good but they are terrible?   
Its common Christian organisations SCAM people even poor in our home countries too...
One of the bigest scams in Phils is the Christian organisation led KAPA scam...
How dare you bring the church into disrepute on what is one of the holiest days of the Christian calendar.
But I will absolve you my child as we are all children of the good lord.

@coach53  Yes, yes i know, I'm a slow learner...but  finally realized not all religious people are honorable.

@Lotus Eater  thanks for the absolution, appreciated, and I hope you enjoy this special time.

@coach53   finally realized not all religious people are honorable.

- @gsturdee
The higher level the worse average with the Vatikan among worst people possible by they protect serious criminals!!!  They didnt only help high nazis to get away to South America after WWII - I suppouse against much pay - but still too!!!  Have you seen the documentary serie "Hunting Hitler"?  There they tell about a lot of found proves of several top nazis got there assisted by the Vatikan and even Hitler himself - or someone very look alike - was seen in at a "nazi gathering" in South America by an AMERICAN spying at the nazis there.  And they prepared and seemed close to ready to send a rocket atom bomb hiting USA, but skiped it when it became cold war between USA and Sovjet by the Cuba crisis so they felt they didnt "need" to do anything themselves. 
At high level I count catholic church as worse than many known criminals by the criminals dont claim they are the good ones...
Coach...Why are you spreading this hate?
Which country supplied iron, iron products and ball bearings to Germany in WW2?
I think a lot expats in the Philippines were GI. Many GI's perished in Europe. My friend is going to Normandy to see where his family fought. My grand uncle was a GI and was deployed in the Phillipines towards the end of WW2.
Back to religion topic. I think in general, religions' aims are good, however, there are few people not-very-nice people that identify to a region that gives it a bad look.
Like the term use today: bad optics
Am I off topic . . . . . again?
Its all good...I'd rather be a  hammer than a nail & so being here does make a lot of sense.
(omo)

1f60e.svg
Coach...Why are you spreading this hate?

Back to religion topic. I think in general, religions' aims are good, however, there are few people not-very-nice people that identify to a region that gives it a bad look.

- @Jackson4
I am not spreading hate. I am spreading TRUTH 1f923.svg     specialy when someone say false.

Actualy I LIKE American history - I have studied it much. I were even in an American group of historians, who tought me much about details in American  history around 1850- 1900, which I researched, although I could actualy correct them concerning a fact about American history!   :)   (When we talked about price differences between west and east cost when American army arrived to San Francisco or more correct Yerba Buena as it was named before USA changed the name. (Before the gold rush. Because I had red some military reports talking about price differences.)
USA did very much GOOD during WWII.  (The FIRST can PERHAPS be seen ok) but from the SECOND atom bomb when Japan were very close to give up anyway just to get power over RUSSIA is one of the very bad things USA have done - but many Americans claim USA fight for e g democrasy, when the truth is USA fight to get more power too USA.  A common false claim, which need to be corrected   :)

Concerning Sweden I protest about Swedish things in forums where SWEDES see it and SWEDES claim false things    :)

Well. At LOW level there are many christian doing GOOD things, but at high level as e g the Vatikan most are crocks...

Concerning being bad topic for being Easter, I claim the OPPOSITE  :)   because  I suppouse Jesus would have PROTESTED much more than I do against what the Vatikan do concerning things as protecting very serious criminals and being GREEDY.  As base for my claim I refer to as 14 yo Jesus protested against greed "hidden" among claiming to be nice religious leaders.  What the Vatikan have done and do still are much worse than the greed Jesus noticed and protested against...

Them, who claim other than I do about theese, are obviously in need of studying these subjects...
Its all good...I'd rather be a  hammer than a nail & so being here does make a lot of sense.
(omo)

1f60e.svg
- @manwonder
I love your one liners Manwonder ;)
Electric - P15,000 - P20,000 (2 houses)
Groceries - P20,000
Cell Phones - P600
Internet - P999
Municipal Water - P300 (Mostly Using Well Water)
Distilled  Drinking Water - P2,000
Beer - P4,000
Pool Chemicals -  P1,500
Diesel (Generator & Fortuner) - P2,000
Gasoline (Lawn Mower, Tricycle & Multicab) P1,500
Diapers & Baby Formula - P5,000
@Enzyte Bob

Hey can I get a loan. I will be landing on the first of May. LOL
Diapers & Baby Formula - P5,000
- @Moon Dog
Good info  1f44d.svg
But isnt the best baby formula built in in the mother?    :)
  • @Enzyte Bob
Hey can I get a loan. I will be landing on the first of May. LOL
- @eptowing
@eptowing, The check is in the mail.

On a more serious note on when exchanging dollars for pesos, don't over change. You don't want to return to the states with a suitcase full of pesos.

If you run out of pesos, it's no big deal on exchanging dollars for pesos for a lesser rate
Hi Moondog

Good info on the cost, just a question how many members in the household for these costs? I am moving in 5 weeks there and when I did my budget calcs I am close to your numbers in some cases and quite of in others.

The groceries for 20K does it include meat and vegetables?

Appreciate your feedback.

Thanks

AK

@coach53 Adopted baby

@aklokow We live in the province, it's a 1 hour drive to the nearest town and a 3 hour drive to the nearest city. We have a store in the barangay that sells pretty much everything we need. I based the P20K groceries on our weekly visit to that store. She usually spends about P4,000 (I subtracted diapers and formula) but that doesn't include fresh meat. For that we usually send a nephew out to buy lechon manok, which is cheap. Sometimes (like tonight) she will grill fresh chicken, not sure of the cost of that, but my over-allowance should easily cover it. Cost of food probably depends somewhat on where you live.

We live in a 200 sq. meter paid for house that we had built and it is just my wife, myself and a 17 month old baby we are adopting. On the back of the property is a 75 sq. meter paid for bungalow that is even newer, finished just before Christmas last. Her parents and 1 or more nieces and 3 or more nephews live there. I only included the electric for that house which I pay. My wife has her own income that finances everything else there. This month our electric bill was over P18,000 and the bungalow was P8,000 but we ran the pool filter 24/7 cleaning up the water. Our bill is usually P9,000 to P12,000 and we run a 1.5 hp and a 1.0 hp split aircon 24/7. I cut the pool filter back to 4 hours a day so we'll see the cost next bill with the filter next cycle.

We do have a pet dog we brought with us but I didn't include dog food and heartworm preventive because we sent all that in a balikbayan box. None of this includes birthdays and other celebrations which include lechon, beer and tuba which can run into money. We've been here 9 months now. For the first 8 months we probably spent a half million a month building her parents house, building the swimming pool, building the concrete gazebo and landscaping  including 100+ dump truck loads of fill. We are now adjusting to not having a crew of workers show up 6 days a week. I can now get a handle on what are living expenses are going to be. I have a P150,000 budget and I hope that will cover everything, and it looks like it will.

Hi Moon Dog

Appreciate your clarification, we also in the province we have built a 3 bedroom house, not as big as yours but good enough for us, that is the wife, bay of 1 year and I. Currently i have my sister in law living there with her husband just to keep things running. The current cost before we are there is:
1. Electricity P5000 per month and I have 5 split AC's obviously not all of running all the time. I have also a 7,5 MVA diesel gen for the emergencies. Central water heater and a borehole.
2. My brother in law is into meat so we will be able to get chicken, pork and fish at a discounted price. We have also sent a lot of groceries in Balikbayan boxes.
3 Was planning P 6000 to P 8000 for groceries excl veg and meat. Did not really consider what you mention about the diapers etc.
4. Added to the budget medicine, doctor, dentist, Xmas and Bday gifts as well as parties.
5. have a P 1 M emergency fund for the the unforeseen.
6. Schooling, Uni, pocket money, trips to Lucena, Manila for shopping included as well as the fuel.
In short my budget for 3 people is approx P 49 K per month, projected over the coming years with an inflation adjustment each year.
7. Plan to buy a new car and bike at the end of May as we arrive.
8. Hope that my planning is ok is maybe over estimated.

But thanks for sharing very helpful.

Take care

AK
@aklokow AK, sounds similar to our situation. We have extremely high electric rate here on Biliran Island so our bill will always be higher. We also bought a new car as soon as we arrived. I arranged it and sent the deposit while still in the states because we were looking at a long lead time but the car was delivered while we were in the quarantine hotel in Manila, much sooner than expected. I wired the balance to Toyota Tacloban's bank account so it was waiting on their lot when we began our 2 week quarantine in our new house. I told the sales lady that it would be a while before I could pick it up so she personally delivered the Fortuner to our house (3 hour drive one way) and we signed the papers through the window. It is a fantastic SUV, but the backup camera wasn't working and that is an important feature here. I complained that the car was not thoroughly checked and they sent a technician all the way to our house and he quickly found a wire that was not plugged in all the way. So 9 months later the car has had the 30 day checkup and the 6 month checkup just last week, 2,400 kms and the oil has been changed twice. As long as it's free I'll keep taking it in.

I bought my brother in law's Honda TMX Supremo tricycle so he could buy a L300 for his expanding business so that is my motorcycle. For my personal vehicle I recently ordered a multicab from a business in Cebu that refurbishes them, it's my toy and I love it. I had a work shop built before we arrived and I love to work on stuff. I just converted the multicab windows to electric and I'll add remote door locks and backup camera as soon as the items arrive from Lazada. Photo of multicab below.

5k55t1.jpg
Our electric bill last month was P9200 as we have one aircon running 24/7. Our cable & internet bill is P3648. I spend P52,000 plus for food at S&R, Landers & small market. (six adults). Other expensive costs are prescription drugs and salary of housekeeper. No rent as the house is paid for, three floor, 65 meters per floor.

Other expenses incurred this year: real estate tax, doctor visits, hospitalization, new wash machine, purchase of a freezer and an additional oven/range for use in our downstairs kitchen, replacement of old security gate. Also needed to hire a plumber. I have US Global Mail annual payment, Netflix, email accounts, hosting fees for my websites, renewal fees for my domains.

Recent dining out: "The Filling Station" & "T.G.I.F." (Fridays).

There are three types of living standards or maybe more: First world, Filipino & Provincial (Hut).

We don't have a car, we use "Grab" most trips under P200

When moving to the Philippines also consider cost of furniture and appliances.