Meralco Electric Bill July 2022

Just received my July 2022 electric bill.  P12.95 per KWH

April 2021 paid P9.81 per KWH

****My fuzzy math says that's a 32% increase.

@Enzyte Bob Yikes

@Enzyte Bob You should feel GRATEFUL. My July bill was 14.6 PHP per KWH. I have VECO, Visayas Electric Company (Subsidiary of Meralco). Rate is Up 33.4% since last year. My Bill was 11,500 for a one bedroom 60 Sq Meter Condo. I replaced a window unit in my bedroom with a split type inverter AC, but Bills are still higher. I am increasing the temp from 25C to 26C, and shutting down a few hours a day. I have a KW Eating Window unit in the Living Room/Kitchen area but run it only a few hours a day, at dinner time. But, I will not give up all comfort to save a couple thousand Pesos. Hopefully the SS COLA will compensate enough to breakeven on Electric Bill and local Inflation.

@Enzyte Bob

makes me really anxious about my meralco bill for the month of July. which i have not seen yet.

yikes.

i know for sure aircon use has doubled in the past 30 days.

fingers crossed it isnt any more than a couple thousand than what i have paid for the average due amount in recent months.

@Enzyte Bob You should feel GRATEFUL. My July bill was 14.6 PHP per KWH. I have VECO, Visayas Electric Company (Subsidiary of Meralco). Rate is Up 33.4% since last year. My Bill was 11,500 for a one bedroom 60 Sq Meter Condo. I replaced a window unit in my bedroom with a split type inverter AC, but Bills are still higher. I am increasing the temp from 25C to 26C, and shutting down a few hours a day. I have a KW Eating Window unit in the Living Room/Kitchen area but run it only a few hours a day, at dinner time. But, I will not give up all comfort to save a couple thousand Pesos. Hopefully the SS COLA will compensate enough to breakeven on Electric Bill and local Inflation.

- @talamban

Air Conditioning . . . .is a real power sucker, I watch my electric meter rotating faster than a 78 rpm record. I run our bedroom air conditioner 24/7 since August 2018.

Air conditioners are also real dust suckers which cause higher bills and reduces it's efficiency. I  had mine service every three months for P1000 that includes a P200 tip for two men. They would remove it, lug it down three flights of stairs and power wash the dust out of it, then reinstall it.

Now I have hepa air purifiers, one I bought on Shopee and a monster purifier that was a DIY project. It sucks up the dust before it has a chance of reaching the intake of the air conditioner. It's now been five months since my air conditioner was last serviced.

The built in dust filters in air conditioners are a real joke, they pass more dust than they stop.
@Enzyte Bob You have your AC pressure washed? What kind of cooling fins do you have? If I used a full stream from my water hose to clean the fins on my LG and Samsung outside condensers I would damage the fins. I have to have the nozzle set to shower.

My electric bill just came, P18,428 for 975 KWHs. That is P18.9 per KWH.

A word about Boston Bay air conditioners. I have a 1.5 hp LG split unit on the ground floor and a 1 hp Samsung in each of the two largest bedrooms upstairs. I am very pleased with those units. I bought a Boston Bay 1 hp split unit for the smallest upstairs bedroom and I also bought a 1.5 hp Boston Bay split unit for the in-laws bungalow. I am not pleased with the Boston Bay units. Every split unit I've installed here and in the US, except for the Boston Bay units, came with the evaporator coil pressurized with dry nitrogen. It protects the coil from corrosion and you know there is no leaks when you bleed off the nitrogen. Neither of the Boston Bay coils were pressurized and the caps were even loose.

Split units come from the factory charged with enough refrigerant for refrigerant lines that are 25 ft. or less in length. I've never had to add refrigerant in any of the dozen or so units I've installed, except for the 1.5 hp Boston Bay  unit in the in-laws bungalow. The evaporator coil was freezing up which is a sure sign of a low charge. I connected my gauges and it saw the pressure was indeed low, and the line set is less than 10 feet in length. I had to order a tank of R401A refrigerant and top off the unit and now it's OK. I can't recommend a Boston Bay air conditioner, they have poor quality control and cut too many corners. Rubber feet were not included in the Boston Bay units and that is also a first for me.
@Enzyte Bob You have your AC pressure washed? What kind of cooling fins do you have? - @Moon Dog
I don't think it's pressure washed but power washed. I've not witness the process as I don't go down the three flights of stairs to watch them.

The air filter on the intake does a poor job and behind the air filter it gets completely filled and clogged with dust.

Two ways I can tell the air conditioner needs servicing   (1) the room reaches a point where the temperature rises and becomes uncomfortable. (2) The air conditioners fan has reduced air flow so less cooled air coming out.

I believe the whole problem is the untreated air going in is restricted by the build up of dust. I've reduced the dust with air purifiers so it's been almost six months from the last servicing, before the air purifiers it was every three months.

It's amazing how much dust the purifiers catch. We have less noticeable dust in the room and even less electrostatic dust build up on my monitor and flat screen tv. The commercial air purifier measures particles per million with the normal reading between 8 to 16.

I run my the air purifiers 24/7, approximately 12 hours each. Before I built the monster I watched Youtube videos where they ran large DIY air purifiers and the brought the ppm down within several hours.

@Enzyte Bob HEY E.B.!  Your math is correct.   It's a 32% increase from April 2021.  What was your total electric bill for June 2022 (I'm assuming you had the same 32% increase for that month as well)?

Has anyone used gasoline fueled generators for residential electricity generation,  especially during rolling blackouts?  I'm curious to know the effectiveness of the generators producing enough electrical current for usage in the home and the costs associated with this backup method.

@msmichaelstinson161 I use a 7,000 watt diesel generator. It burns approximately 1 liter per hour. I paid P59,000 for the generator. It runs a 1.5 hp and a 1.0 hp air conditioner and everything else in my house except for the on demand water heater. I used the water heater once by accident and the throttle went wide open and she was putting out some black smoke so I make sure to turn the heater off.

@msmichaelstinson161 When in Texas, I used a gasoline powered Generator after Hurricane Electricity Outage. Powered my Fridge and some lights with a heavy duty extension cord. Very Expensive and difficult to continue supply of gasoline if power is out in the area and Service Stations cannot pump gasoline. Important that you allow to cool completely before refueling, so you don't start a fire or an explosion. When I built a new house in a remote area, I installed a Natural Gas Generac Genset with an Automatic transfer Switch (ATS) so it came on immediately and automatically Disconnected when the power resumed. It supplied the entire house including two Central Aircons  - about 500 square meters of living area. Costs at the time for equipment and installation was about $8K for a 24KW System with ATS. It is also convertible to LPG from Tanks.

@Enzyte Bob

by the way, you mentioned having 2 guys take out and clean your Air-con for 1000.00 plus a tip you give them.
is that the going price for having that sort of thing done these days?

for a few years up until 2019, my ex and i paid a company 2,479 annually for them to come to our house and do cleaning/maintenance 3 times a year.  pretty good deal,   in my opinion.

where I am living now, I don't think our main aircon unit has ever been serviced. Not sure how much it would cost on a single visit to have it cleaned out.

Thanks.

@Enzyte Bob

by the way, you mentioned having 2 guys take out and clean your Air-con for 1000.00 plus a tip you give them.

for a few years up until 2019, my ex and i paid a company 2,479 annually for them to come to our house and do cleaning/maintenance 3 times a year.  pretty good deal,   in my opinion.

where I am living now, I don't think our main aircon unit has ever been serviced. Not sure how much it would cost on a single visit to have it cleaned out.

Thanks.

- @kristopherryanwatson
The price was P800 and I gave them a P200 tip for a total of P1000.

Apology to all . . . .

On my original post I was in ERROR in reporting my Meralco bill as P12.95 kph.

The correct cost was P10.99 kph

I will accept full RESPONSIBILITY for any heart attacks by members of this forum caused by my error.
@Enzyte Bob

WOW phew...thank god for that.
monumental tragedy averted this morning !

Apology to all . . .  I will accept full RESPONSIBILITY for any heart attacks by members of this forum caused by my error.  - @Enzyte Bob

Smiley Bob po!  As one direct result of your mistaken original posting my wife reinstated the dirty kitchen thus under cooking our pandesal.  This dough gives moi severe indigestion.  Please remit the full cost of two bottles of soda water 1f61c.svg

Apology to all . . .  I will accept full RESPONSIBILITY for any heart attacks by members of this forum caused by my error.  - @Enzyte Bob

Smiley Bob po!  As one direct result of your mistaken original posting my wife reinstated the dirty kitchen thus under cooking our pandesal.  This dough gives moi severe indigestion.  Please remit the full cost of two bottles of soda water 1f61c.svg
- @PalawOne

The check is in the mail.  (Philpost)

@Enzyte Bob

Thanks.

- @kristopherryanwatson

Presumably you are in a rental so would that not be the responsibility of the Landlord to sort out?
Omo :
Enzyte Bob must indeed be the landlord....at least I think so....as he claims he won't take the time to walk down 3 flights of stairs to check on the aircon serviceman cleaning his filters.

1f923.svg

@Enzyte Bob Good For You, but mine is still 14.6 PHP per KWH for June Bill from VECO. June 2021 was 7,500 Pesos BEFORE replacing a standard Window AC with a Split Type Inverter, although larger HP - 1.5 HP "Energy Efficient" compared to window 1.0 HP unit. June 2022 is 11,500 Pesos. A few more Gadgets added - Air Purifiers, Aquarium, some added Air Fryers; but still seems ridiculous to me. So much for my Excel Spreadsheet rationalizing my 30K purchase of the Split type AirCon. Same spreadsheets that forecast the incredible increase in Pesos exchange over the next six months to compensate for Inflation. Expected 60+ PHP/$$$ by December. Looking like lucky if we can get 55 then. Just exchanged via WISE for a little over 55 net over last two weeks of Drip, drip, drip transfers.

Omo :
Enzyte Bob must indeed be the landlord....at least I think so....as he claims he won't take the time to walk down 3 flights of stairs to check on the aircon serviceman cleaning his filters.

1f923.svg
- @manwonder
Actually Mrs. Enzyte Bob is the landlord (no mortage the house is paid for) .  . . . . A little history on the house, my wife was one of six siblings who lived in a very large house on a decent size piece of land. My wife is a senior to put everything into perspective. Her parents owned the house and the house was actually divided up upon their deaths.

One by one the siblings sold their portion of a divided house. When I met my wife she had a sliver of a house. The last sibling sold their portion, leaving her house with no front door, with three of her children climbing in and out of the window.

The house was in such bad shape, termites and all.

We had the house completely torn down and rebuilt from the ground up some 15 years ago. It's now a three story long and narrow house, about 65 meters each floor.

First floor: A kitchen, dirty kitchen, bathroom, living/dining room, outdoor laundry room.

Second floor: A terrace, three bedrooms and bathroom.

Third floor for my wife and myself, huge bedroom, big enough for a kitchen table so when it gets hot everyone can eat dinner in comfort, as it's air condition. A terrace, the main kitchen and another bathroom are on the third floor.

Going up & down three flights of stairs is a choir for me, so there must be a good reason to do so.
@Lotus Eater

No, it isn't a rental per se.... it's a rather unusual living situation.  :)