Are Triptans (migraine drug) available in Brazil?

Does anybody know if Triptans are available here? If so, would you happen to know if it's possible to get a prescription at the free clinics (for a Brazilian, not for me)?

Zolmitriptan by prescription only.

Yeah. Very similar. Sumatriptana and whatnot

Cloridrato de Naratriptana is readily available here in the northeast. 2.5mg in 10 packs for R$20-30 at our Paguemenos dot com dot br pharmacy site.

I don't suffer migraines but know folks that do and they like the price/availability here.

OK - so while my last port is under review let me try to be less specific. Kurterino - yes they are and yes you can. I know people that suffer from migraines and it is horrible.

02/20/22

mberigan wrote:

OK - so while my last port is under review let me try to be less specific. Kurterino - yes they are and yes you can. I know people that suffer from migraines and it is horrible.

Matt,

How strange!  I saw your post, and didn't see anything in it that seemed to cross any TOS lines.  I'll ask some questions about what happened.

Recommending powerful drugs with potentially serious side effects is a bad idea - That's what doctors are for.
Trying to sell potentially dangerous drugs from a site you claim to own, or even suggesting ways to get what appear to be prescription drugs without seeing a doctor, is worse.
Telling the world you use a given drug and relating your experiences is fine.

02/20/22

Fred,

Bigfooting a forum where you have no expertise is a bad idea  -- a very bad idea.

I've told  you so privately and it hasn't worked, so now I'll tell you publicly: 

If you want to be the Brazil Expert. I'll be glad to step back.  I can find other uses for the 2-3 hours I spend here every day.  Otherwise, please ...

Butt Out.

abthree wrote:

02/20/22

Fred,

Bigfooting a forum where you have no expertise is a bad idea  -- a very bad idea.

I've told  you so privately and it hasn't worked, so now I'll tell you publicly: 

If you want to be the Brazil Expert. I'll be glad to step back.  I can find other uses for the 2-3 hours I spend here every day.  Otherwise, please ...

Butt Out.

He recommended buying what appear to be prescription drugs from a site he claimed to own.
Perhaps you might like to read the post again before making a public comment.

I would like to read the link, but could not. Matt does not sell things here he does research on many things, but no medical selling.

Sorry to all for any confusion. I made no claim to be the owner of any site and you cann walk into most any store here and buy that drug over the counter. That might not be true in the USA but here you can.

A friend came here and suddenly had a migraine problem he went to a doctor and the dr told him to go buy it over the counter.

Brazil is different.

Thank you.
Actually it's not for myself, but I know they are the go-to drug for migraines (I've tried several, they don't work for me)
A friend of mine (Brazilian) has untreated migraines (as far as I can tell, and I've been seeing several neurologists the last 15 years. Doesn't make me an expert, but I know a little bit about it)
So I was wondering if she could go to a free clinic, hopefully get diagnosed correctly, and at least give it a try. I know Triptans can be life-changing if they work. So from what I understand, getting a prescription shouldn't be a problem. Hopefully they aren't as expensive as in Switzerland …

mberigan wrote:

I checked and found that my friend had an appointment in a private clinic with a neurologist regarding his migraines and it cost him R$350.

Health care pricing is very different here than it is back in the USA. Obviously, one always needs to side with caution because there are problem providers.

A friend suffered appendicitis here on a visit and had it removed (laparoscopic) and the whole package cost him R$9000. No insurance. Private hospital.

I think that's a bit more expensive elsewhere.

Fred,

Please, take a deep breath and just drop it.  "Our" group (I don't own it) could do with less of this drama.

Next time simply ask the poster what their intent was and take the appropriate action.

Next time I'll try to be less possessive of a national chain of drugstores and clearer in my messages.

I appreciate everybody's attempts to keep the expat groups clear of propaganda, politics and proselytizing.

Please - end of story and let's get back to nicer conversations.

Thanks,
MattB

PS - I hope the person with migraines gets what relief is available.

Thanks Matt.
Our pharmacias carries two brands.
Both are approved by Anvisa and as said must be prescribed by a doctor. (blue script)

02/21/22

Thanks, Matt,

By all means, let's get back to the business of Brazil, and trust that the business of Indonesia can take care of itself.  That matter has been referred to the competent authorities, and I trust will soon be resolved.

I, too, hope that Kurterino's friend in Brazil is on her way to getting the help she needs; your info and Tex's will undoubtedly help.  :top:

Hello everyone,

This is just to inform you that some posts have been removed from this thread.

Let's keep focused on the topic.

Cheers,

Cheryl
Expat.com team

02/21/21

mberigan wrote:

Cloridrato de Naratriptana is readily available here in the northeast. 2.5mg in 10 packs for R$20-30 at our Paguemenos dot com dot br pharmacy site.

I don't suffer migraines but know folks that do and they like the price/availability here.

I recognized the URL for the PagueMenos site immediately.  Anyone  who knows Brazil would.  PagueMenos is one of the largest national chains, and I've often used the site myself.

If anyone has it, they will, and quite possibly at a discount.

I know a good divorce attorney in Virginia.  He cured all my headaches forever.

Inubia wrote:

I know a good divorce attorney in Virginia.  He cured all my headaches forever.

I know that you wrote that ‘in jest', however it's based on a (very common) misconception.
Migraines and headaches are two different things, and having migraines is a recognized condition, by doctors and social insurances (meaning that chronic migraines can be a disability).
While regular headaches probably can be caused by stress (I'm not sure though), migraines occur without any external factors (yes, some factors like stress, noise or bright light can make it worse, but you can get regular migraines without any of these things).
Also, migraines are more than just headaches, common symptoms are dizziness, nausea, distorted vision, and more). In fact, some people get migraines that don't hurt, they have a number of these other symptoms.
There's another type, Cluster headaches. Apparently, these are even worse than migraines, so much so that they're sometimes called ‘suicide headaches'.

yea, i find the pharmacists here are more approachable and convinient for getting medications i need ( nothing serious ) and information on whatif scenerios. quite different than north america. but if need arises i just go to emergency. and wait for hours xD