New members of the Philippines forum, introduce yourselves here - 2022

Hi Sir Dwight. Nice to have you back. Do you have a pseudonym 'Tariq 1983' ?
Hello, I just discovered I had joined this community back in 2014 under my screen name TimoTraveling. It is the same name I am using at Twitter @Timo20470737 and at https://timotraveling.blogspot.com/ and  at my newbie Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/timotravelingblogspot  I have another blog about Florida, USA Real Estate at https://floridausarealestate.blogspot.com/
Bonjour à tous
Nous sommes de Paris (France) et nous nous projetons à faire construire à bohol.. (panglao)
Je viens de découvrir ce site qui est très accueillant !
Merci
Hi, newbie here, I'm Sam from England living in Mindanao since 2017.

I've posted regarding bringing my personal stuff from the U. K. but no reply yet? If anyone can help with advice/info it would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers
@slee75
Hi Sam, I'm living in Mindanao also and also from England, Coventry, to be precise. I live in Mauswagan which is very near to the the airport in Languindingan, where in Mindanao do you live, maybe we could meet up one day.
Hi, newbie here, I'm Sam from England living in Mindanao since 2017.

I've posted regarding bringing my personal stuff from the U. K. but no reply yet? If anyone can help with advice/info it would be greatly appreciated!
- @slee75

Welcome.
But you had got answers at your question in the topic where you asked it   :)

Hi, my name is Robert Cooper, 63 just got back to Cebu Jul7 2021. 

Hi All,

I moved to Panglao, Bohol 2 months ago and am enjoying the tropical life! I am from Washington DC and have been married to a Filipino for 10 years. He is from Bohol and and 8 years ago we built a commercial building on National Road near the new airport. We have a gas station/mini mart, an urgent care, diagnostic center (relicensing it, so not currently opened) and soon to open restaurant.

I moved over to get everything opened back up and build our new home. We just got permits issued and will break ground next month :-)

I look forward to learning from the seasoned expats here.  It's quite an adventure living in another country!

For now, I am here on a tourist visa. After meeting with an immigration officer, not sure there is a benefit right now to pursue anything else, since I will head to the states at least once a year. And probably travel around Asia pretty regularly.

Now that I have secured my 6-month extension, my current quest is an ACR card. Should I head to Cebu and do it myself or go to one of the authorized agents and let them handle it?

Look forward to participating here.

Sincerely,
Mike

@mikePanglao I think it is not to hard to apply for and get the ACR card on your own. But you may need to go to Cebu several times. We did it in Manila which may have been easier because it was nearby, I suggest you post a photo of yourself.

Thanks @Timo62!

Manila is an option, but Cebu is much closer and we will go every 6-8 weeks for shopping at S & R.

I will head over next week and get it done before I hit 59 days.

@mikePanglao

Good you have started businesses in the Philippines  1f44d.svg    Filipinos realy need more jobs.

LOCK UP! though so you dont break the law about being allowed to work.   
Thats to think of when chosing VISA. 
Some dont allow working
Some allow working
Some allow working IF applied for and got work permit for the job(-s) you will do.
@coach53

I don't do any work, we hire locals to do the work :-)

I can leave for months at a time and no one would miss me!
@mikePanglao

I have done all my immigration items myself. My tourist ACR required two trips to an immigration field office I think about 2 weeks apart. It was a quick process both times and not much of a hassle.
Welcome, Sir Dwight!
Hia.

I'm Rex.
Hello

My name is Etienne, i'm a cooker.

I would like to obtain some informations about the Philippines.

Thank you.

Best regards
@etienne   
Welcome

Much info you can get by checking old topic.
If you miss something, you can start a new topic.

Hi, I've hear it's nice there. I like southern leyte as well and plan on staying there some when I retire soon.

- @gwaps

It's very heartwarming to know that you're planning to stay here in the Philippines for good. Southern Leyte is a very charming province littered with masterpieces of natures and friendly locals. ***
Moderated by Bhavna last year
Reason : Please do not promote your services on the forum.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct
Hi all,

I'm from Cebu City and working for 25 years in Singapore doing Construction Automatic Irrigation, I'm assigned back here in the Philippines and just finished up the refurbishment of the World War 2 American Battle Monument Cemetery in Taguig City BGC. Happy to be back here and exploring the beautiful beaches here in Cebu. Cheer's 1f600.svg
Must be nice to be home Roel, after working 25 years overseas. That's a long time.

Your recent work at the Manila American Cemetery and Memorial in Fort Bonifacio, Taguig, Metro Manila, within the former Fort William McKinley, is certainly of real credit to you.

With a total of 17,206 graves, it has the largest number of graves of any cemetery anywhere for U.S. personnel killed during World War II, and also holds war dead from the Philippines and other allied nations. Many were killed during the Battle of the Philippines and the site is maintained by the American Battle Monuments Commission.  It's an important place, and many here will have visited, including my wife and myself.   

I am sure everyone here wishes you a very happy homecoming Roel 1f600.svg

Manila_American_Cemetery_and_Memorial.jpAerial_View_Headstones_of_Manila_AmericaManila_American_Cemetery_Aerial_View.JPG
Who gets the credit for the North Cemetery?

People are actually born in the North Cemetery and call it home, check it out on Youtube.
People are actually born in the North Cemetery and call it home, check it out on Youtube.
- @Enzyte Bob

Yes Bob, as you say, true ... Quote: "MANILA — Manila North Cemetery, opened in 1904, is one of the oldest and largest in the Philippines. Its elaborate mausoleums and endless rows of humble, stacked tombs are home to an estimated one million of the dead — and a few thousand of the living."

NYT  25 June 2017  "Hard Life Among the Dead in the Philippines"
@RickTacloban

Hi Rick, My wife and I will be retiring to Biliran in about 16 months. I have some questions about filing U.S. taxes while living in the Philippines. Any help will be greatly appreciated and hope to chat with you often. Thank you Dave. 
Hello everyone, My wife and I are retiring in about 16 months, we will be moving to Biliran where she is from. Looking forward to starting a small farm, becoming self sufficient for the most part. And enjoying a slower and less expensive lifestyle compared to the U.S.
@Dave & Ruby Welcome, my wife and I are on Biliran Island. We moved here just over a year ago. Which municipality/barangay are you moving to? We live in the Cabucgayan area. Not many foreigners in these parts.

All I can tell you about taxes is there was no change for me. I maintain a Georgia address and did my taxes online. This was the first tax year that all I had to claim was pension and SS. I paid in zero tax and got a $300 refund which was a surprise.

Local tax is very low. I think we paid P1,000 or P2,000 on the 1,700 sq. mtr. property. We built a house on the property that was assessed at P5.5 million and tax on the is around P25,000 with a 20% discount if you pay early so about $400 a year for the house and property if paid on time.

Electricity is the big cost on Biliran Island. We keep the house air conditioned on the both floors and our bill lately is close to P20,000 a month. Works out to P18.9 per KWH which is the highest rates I've heard of. There are also 12 hour brown outs about once a month. I'm on the generator as I type this. Good luck with your move.

@Julien

I was trying to send message. After filling out the form, I could find no way to send it. I could sure use some help. I sure need help as a new visitor to the Philippines.

Hello kayaker,

Welcome to expat.com!

What problems are you exactly having? Could you kindly message me in private?

Also, feel free to check the Living in the Philippines guide for expats. You will find loads of information there.

Cheers,

Yoginee

Expat.com team

@Yoginee

Thank you for the quick reply. I was trying to submit a question from the web site. After filling out the form, the submit button was not visible and I could not move the form on my screen to find it. As you might guess, I am not good with the computer.

The original question I had was, I am on my first extension, and I have to return to the States for a quick trip. Does my visa extension cancel or is it still good on my return? I am trying to get my ACR card and do not want to start all over again. thank you

Kayaker wrote yesterday from Mangatarem, Ilocos ..

"I was trying to send message. After filling out the form, I could find no way to send it. I could sure use some help. I sure need help as a new visitor to the Philippines."

We sure hope things can be sorted out Kayaker.

There are lots of people here who will be able to help you, being as you are a new visitor to the Philippines. We will hope to be able to welcome you to the Philippines Expat Forum group soon.

I will be in the Philippines on Sept 14. Will try to spend much time in Sorsogon, Bicol. I live in Clovis CA So interested to hear your thoughts about this country. Thanks.

HI, 

I've travelled to Manilla many times for work, but now I travel to Cebu to live... A new partner and a new life. I've sold my house in the UK and rented here for a year so I am committing to make it work. Next, a car of some fashion, since the Trikes cannot quite get me and my shopping up the very steep hill... I have to pay to push the trike up the steepest hundred yards - Well worth it for the ride home ;-)

Its day 11 and so far, I've navigated the taxis, trikes and motorcycle transport, the supermarkets and the malls. I am getting used to the idea that drinking water is purchased in bottles and does not come out of the tap and that it is hot here - really hot!  The air conditioner is my second-best friend and the fridge the third!  I love the fried/dried fish in place of bacon for breakfast and "rice with everything". I've learnt around 50 words of Tagalog.

I walk a little, swim a bit more, and read a lot.  This is retirement for me, but I am looking for a project too... build something, do some travelling, make some friends.  I like meeting people, talking and trying new things. So many things to try!

Any tips and tricks for a newbie? Any advice welcome...

Is there an expat community in Cebu? Anyone open to a drink sometime (Cebu City - Minglanilla)?

Kind regards,

Jonathan

@SilverBirch

Welcome to the platform Jonathan.

Hello Jonathan,

Welcome to expat.com!

Thank you for this lovely introduction.

I really hope you enjoy your stay in the Philippines.1f60a.svg

Feel free to browse on the Philippines forum and to engage in any discussion that you like.

Cheers,

Yoginee

Expat.com team

Salamat, Thank you for the welcome :-)

Any recommendations for places to see, bars to try... or is there a forum for that?

@SilverBirch

Welcome to the group.

As for bars and restos...it all depends what you're looking for and where you're looking for them.

@SilverBirch Welcome. As for projects I have many, sometimes too many. One thing I like to do is work with bamboo. Bamboo is strong, splits easily and is cheap to buy. Mostly you need a good bamboo knife like a sundang but a hand saw, hole saws, a drill, utility knife and wood chisels also come in handy. Watch a few YouTube videos on how to make bamboo furniture and you're good to go. I haven't done a lot of bamboo projects but as I get more free time I will try some chair, loveseat and table projects. I recently made a trellis (see photo) to try and grow some alugbati so I can have more greens in my diet.

Ti071w.jpg

@kananaduncan

@Julien

Hello Cillian09carampatana,

Welcome to Expat.com 1f601.svg

Something you would like to add to this conversation?

I invite you to repost your message.

Cheers,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

Closed