New members of the Philippines forum, introduce yourselves here - 2022

Hi all,

Newbie on the Philippines forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country,
or to tell us more on your expat projects in the Philippines if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Hi,

covid changed things, hope things will get better so that we can all enjoy what we used to enjoy. Philippines is the best place to be and missed everything from the food, beautiful people, nice weather, beautiful beach and nightlife

Hi, I'm Rick.  I'm from Maryland, USA.  I married my Philippine wife in 2019 and retired to the Philippines in 2021.  We live in her home town, Tacloban City, where we're building a house.

Hi all
I have actually been living in Manila for a very long time. I am here with my daughter. I never joined an expat forum before and am giving it a try now
Many of my friends left because of Covid. I am hoping for a positive experience here.
I am from Botswana. My name is Kanana.

kananaduncan wrote:

Hi all
I have actually been living in Manila for a very long time. I am here with my daughter. I never joined an expat forum before and am giving it a try now
Many of my friends left because of Covid. I am hoping for a positive experience here.
I am from Botswana. My name is Kanana.

Hmmm, I hope you don't have a positive experience, maybe a healthy and wonderful experience instead.

Hope all is well for you and yours, I live in Iloilo and find it very beautiful here. Love and peace Mike

Welcome Kanana, I hope all is well for you and your daughter.

Welcome ^^

Hi, I've hear it's nice there. I like southern leyte as well and plan on staying there some when I retire soon.

Hello. My name is Peter. I am a Western Australian. I currently live in my home town Mandurah, which is about one hour south of the capital city  Perth.

The Philippines is only around 8 hours flying time from here via either SG, KL or HK. I have visited the Philippines more than 15 times so far. I have many Filipino friends.

I decided to retire or semi retire there, and I am building a home near Ormoc city (next to the golf course), Leyte. I also own a lot in Cebu city.

For the moment I am 'trapped' in WA by Covid and for family reasons. So I am keeping busy and working toward a permanent move who knows when?

Peter VK6 PBS

peterzapfella wrote:

Hello. My name is Peter. I am a Western Australian. I currently live in my home town Mandurah, which is about one hour south of the capital city  Perth.

The Philippines is only around 8 hours flying time from here via either SG, KL or HK. I have visited the Philippines more than 15 times so far. I have many Filipino friends.

I decided to retire or semi retire there, and I am building a home near Ormoc city (next to the golf course), Leyte. I also own a lot in Cebu city.

For the moment I am 'trapped' in WA by Covid and for family reasons. So I am keeping busy and working toward a permanent move who knows when?

Peter VK6 PBS

Welcome Peter.   Didn't know travel to Pinas (Philippines) is just 2 hours longer than if you travel to Sydney.   :D

Aussie friends had been inviting me to the  Outback but with my limited time off work for vacationing, I much prefer being with my beach buddies in Philippines.   

Now Phillippines, that's where the best beaches are and having a property in Cebu, you are well positioned in the middle of it all.

Hello everyone! Thank you for enjoying and loving my country. Well, I just travel back last November 06, 2021, here in my country(Philippines) and I am from Laguna. I am a certified Caregiver and I've been working in Malaysia for 7 years and 10 months. I loved taking care of the elderly and kids too. Hope I can find an Aupair who needs a caregiver or babysitter. Thank you for spending your time reading my short story.
Stay safe everyone!   :)

Hi new member here … soon to be retired Aussie looking to spend the next couple of years in Phillipines. Travelling to Manila in April for a month … will meet my good friend in Subic, and plan to holiday and check put a few areas of interest to use as my base for when I come over again later in 2022. I enjoy hiking, walking, motorcycle riding  …

Great site and forum … looking forward to interacting with like minded people.

DaveGramps wrote:

Hi new member here … soon to be retired Aussie looking to spend the next couple of years in Phillipines. Travelling to Manila in April for a month … will meet my good friend in Subic, and plan to holiday and check put a few areas of interest to use as my base for when I come over again later in 2022. I enjoy hiking, walking, motorcycle riding  …

Great site and forum … looking forward to interacting with like minded people.

I recomend you to check what LOCAL restriction there will be INSIDE the Philippines when you arrive.  I havent followed, but last I heared it was very hard inside Manila still.

American here and we are still under advise that Pinas is on Alert Level 4 (high Covid).    I am hoping this gets changed in the coming months as I already am planning my trip mid-year. 

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/co … hilippines

Now having said that, I know of PInoys (Dwight Ramos and Thirdy Ravena) who travelled recently to the country from Japan and they seem to be outside of quarantined hotel in less than 2 weeks.   They are both basketball players and they are already seen practicing for the Gilas national team. 

This is in stark contrast last year when, same scenario, players flying in to the country but they had to be quarantined for 2 weeks in their hotel rooms.

Good info thanks, the plan is that I arrive in Manila, and my friend picks me up at airport and drive to Subic SBMA where she lives, this is our base for the next 4 weeks.

Hello everyone,
I'm Joe from Maryland, USA.  I've been in the Philippines since the beginning of September 2021.  I married my Filipina wife in February 2021 via an online marriage service out of Utah USA, and was able to register the marriage and obtain a travel exemption to come to the Philippines. Since then, I've accomplished the SRRV visa and Philippine drivers license.  We are renting a house in Angeles city Pampanga, but are looking for a place of our own in central Luzon.

I signed up because I wanted to hear from some of the retired US expats concerning Medicare, tax preparation, and other important topics such as good hospitals and doctors.

Please feel free to contact me anytime.

^If your wife is Kapampangan and knows how to cook, brothers, you are lucky.

They are known for creating classic dishes  sisig, morcon, menudo, caldereta, estofado, embotido, asado, lengua, lechon, chicharon, afritada, bringhi (paella), tabang talangka (crab meat), the "tocino" or pindang and their native version of the longaniza.

My source for that list is wiki.

Hey, welcome

DaveGramps wrote:

Good info thanks, the plan is that I arrive in Manila, and my friend picks me up at airport and drive to Subic SBMA where she lives, this is our base for the next 4 weeks.

One thing I like in this forum is just learning via topics from members.  In this case, Subic Bay.

I found this video of someone videoing his/her driving around the area in May 2021.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_iE3gQv3z4

Great video thanks …

G'day, I'm James, 63 years young, and live on the Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia. I've been to the Philippines twice, and plan on traveling to CDO late May for a couple of months. I've done a lot of research looking for the best place to meet a possible partner, and have decided CDO ticks all the boxes. Not too 'touristy', less congested, and a good location from which to island hop .

My plans were to book an airbnb downtown, and proceed from there... I would appreciate any advice from locals in the area, and a possible catch-up for a beer. I look forward to contributing to this forum, and becoming acquainted with some of you.

Welcome James.   CDO is a very nice place.   And you're lucky it's just an 8 hour flight to Queensland.  Mine is 13 from US to  Japan (or SoKor)  and another 5 to Philippines.  Add in the layover and it easily gets to 20-hour flight.

Hi, my name is Jim Fox and I am married to a wonderful Filipina now for 20 years. We currently live in Florida but are seriously considering packing up and moving to the Philippines. There is so much to navigate that I decided to join this group. We are looking at Das Marinas/General Trias area. I look forward to getting questions answered and maybe meeting some other expats in the same area.

welcome...

HI, I'm Big of Norfolk, VA.  Just discovered this and curious to learn the latest on travels to the Philippines.  I have some friends there who I've not seen for quite some time now other than online and would love to come there some time this year if possible.

Hello to all,
I'm Mark currently living in Fort Worth Texas. I'm moving to Philippines on March 28th. Im going to settle in Ilagan area. I'm still trying to iron out some of the paperwork and could use advice. If anyone has used or knows a good company for the $35000 Covid insurance let me know.  Also transferring the SRRV Deposit has me confused.  I hope it's ok to ask this here. Thanks.

Big Mad Wolf wrote:

HI, I'm Big of Norfolk, VA.  Just discovered this and curious to learn the latest on travels to the Philippines.  I have some friends there who I've not seen for quite some time now other than online and would love to come there some time this year if possible.

Its opened since recently if fullfil vaccination and covid insurance demands.

laymanm65 wrote:

Hello to all,
I'm Mark currently living in Fort Worth Texas. I'm moving to Philippines on March 28th. Im going to settle in Ilagan area. I'm still trying to iron out some of the paperwork and could use advice. If anyone has used or knows a good company for the $35000 Covid insurance let me know.  Also transferring the SRRV Deposit has me confused.  I hope it's ok to ask this here. Thanks.

Thats a more complicated question, which better is discussed in a special topic  (-s).   There are such allready to look in them if you need to ask anything more. (I havent read them proper myself.)

coach53 wrote:
Big Mad Wolf wrote:

Its opened since recently if fullfil vaccination and covid insurance demands.

laymanm65 wrote:

Hello to all,

Thats a more complicated question, which better is discussed in a special topic  (-s).   There are such allready to look in them if you need to ask anything more. (I havent read them proper myself.)

That is good to hear Coach53.   TY.  Would love to catch a flight hopefully around September=October. 

I also wish to spend time of my vacation visiting nearby provinces in Metro Manila for R&R.

Whoa, why many quotes on the reply?

jfox, try the YouTube channel The Philippine Info channel. Steve lives in that area and is recruiting many new expats to that area to form a support group. Sounds like a bunch are arriving soon. Good luck.

Hi!

I have been living in the Philippines since 1997; ex-Hong Kong for 16 years prior.

I have experienced all the islands except the West half of Mindanao. I love the remote islands for their unique flora, fauna and indigenous cultures. I enjoy to sail, kayak and go caving with my lady from Davao City. I deliver yachts around Asia and I build websites with an emphasis on something called Search Engine Optimization.

My lady of 13 years seeks relaxation in making pies, pastries and breads. Two years ago she asked me to make a website for her Davao pie shop/bakery and it was so successful that we were inundated with requests from around the country. We now also have a pie shop and bakery in Makati City to satisfy demand. Her brand comes from my home in 'Somerset' and she aims to make 'home-baked goodies' that will satisfy everyone who has ever experienced food in the UK, Australia, New Zealand or America. She also bakes Filipino favorites.

I am apparently retired (according to my driver license) but spend most of my time seeking adventure, which is everywhere in this most diverse and exciting country.

If anyone wants to chat about somewhere or something from an expat perspective concerning the Philippines then I may have some answers from an alternative perspective.

martyn27 wrote:

My lady of 13 years seeks relaxation in making pies, pastries and breads. Two years ago she asked me to make a website for her Davao pie shop/bakery and it was so successful that we were inundated with requests from around the country. We now also have a pie shop and bakery in Makati City to satisfy demand. Her brand comes from my home in 'Somerset' and she aims to make 'home-baked goodies' that will satisfy everyone who has ever experienced food in the UK, Australia, New Zealand or America. She also bakes Filipino favorites.

:top:   Pastries have good chance to succeed in the Philippines by few Filipinos have oven and they love sweets   :)
I know one personaly, who started a few years ago succeeding, and know of one other big success
(One foreign financed to his Filipina wife just break even,  perhaps they dont make enough sweet   :)   or- its wife's family working - perhaps they dont work good.)

during the pandemic we have had good sales to mixed-nationality families, foreigners and Filipinos who have worked overseas, but since Level 1 came into effect we have notices a marker drop in online sales . . . maybe we need more sweet pies and pastries . . .

any advice appreciated, our website is [link moderated]

not sure if you access the website link directly, try a search for English Pork Pie Philippines and you will usually find us at the top of the page :)

Big Mad Wolf wrote:
coach53 wrote:
Big Mad Wolf wrote:

Re Batac, it is in Ilocos Norte.

Batak tribe is at PALAWAN.    Is there an  other tribe named that similar as Batac??

This is Batac, or at least where this pretty Filipina is at filming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzf5PIXIlSE

Oh I had never heared of. Although that video say they are Bataqueño.

This is Batak tribe at Palawan. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_M8Kl_Ngtc  I didnt find any better video at a hasty search  :)

And here is Tau Bato tribe at south Palawan.  (Bato mean mountain).   [url][link under review]

Haha no worries bud.  Heck, after seeing your video, maybe  Estresistencia would change mind and film Batak instead of Batac.   :D

Big Mad Wolf wrote:

Haha no worries bud.  Heck, after seeing your video, maybe  Estresistencia would change mind and film Batak instead of Batac.   :D

haha   
I started with asking if Batac = Batak. 
In the Philippines its common they name several different places same name, big ones too!!!
E g Quezon CITY ISNT in Quezon PROVINCE!!!   On top of that there is a Quezon TOWN which is in Quezon MUNICIPALY, which ISNT even  at same island as Quezon PROVINCE!!!
And north of Davao there are two big villages with same name, so I wonder how many have went to wrong...
A Filipina looked at text telling where a long distance bus will go to go home to NORTH Palawan , entered and fell asleep. When she woke up she was at a same named places at SOUTH Palawan around 400 km wrong   :lol:

Hi Gents, and Ladies. As usual I'm getting things in the wrong order, having made several posts, but not yet introduced myself.

I'm Glen, Australian born, 53 years old, worked in various countries like Iraq, Kuwait, Jordan, Falkland Islands, Germany, Malaysia etc. I'm a healthcare worker (and not oil industry if that's what you're wondering), which explains why I'm still needing to work. Also, I'm a British citizen, and primarily based in Scotland where we have a house - in the lovely Scottish Borders region.

21 years ago met my Filipina wife in Cebu, and we now have two school-aged kids, and I'm really good with that - happy family guy, I guess. Her family comes from Bantayan Island in northern Cebu, so we invested in a mango farm and student accommodation near a community college, which we visit for a couple of months per year. Neither are particularly profitable, but I enjoy going there and seeing the growth and progress, and all the energy being there in the Philippines brings. We breed Belgian Malinois dogs and my brother-in-law keeps fighting cooks, that crow all through the night, keeping me awake, which no-one else locally seems to bother about.

I joined this site because I like the expats I've met in the Philippines - crazy, original folk, usually with interesting back-stories and life outlook. So I'm up for a bit of chat and commentary. That's about all. Best wishes.

@Julien Hello , was looking to get some phone sales work calling the US. Super experienced an need work asap ,thanks .

Closed