New members of the Cape Verde forum, introduce yourselves here - 2022

Hi all,

Newbie on the Cape Verde forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country,
or to tell us more on your expat projects in Cape Verde if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Boa tardi! My name is Phillip (or Felipe). I just moved to Praia and will be here until April for the purpose of studying Portuguese and Kriolu. I will be taking Portuguese classes at a local university. I'd be interested in meeting up with any expats nearby for a drink or a coffee. If anyone knows where to take Kriolu lessons, please send them my way. Obrigado!
Boa tardi! My name is Phillip (or Felipe). I just moved to Praia and will be here until April for the purpose of studying Portuguese and Kriolu. I will be taking Portuguese classes at a local university. I'd be interested in meeting up with any expats nearby for a drink or a coffee. If anyone knows where to take Kriolu lessons, please send them my way. Obrigado!
- @FelipeGeorge

Hi Felipe,

Benvindo à Praia. This is also where I live. And, when you say that you will be here till April, I take it that you mean 2023? I'd certainly be open to meeting up for a coffee.

There are several schools and private individuals who teach Kriolu. I'd be happy to share names and contact numbers with you in a private message.

Cheers,

Angelo
@FelipeGeorge

Hello. That is exciting. Can you give me the University information? I would love to do the same? I'm in the US but will retire soon and desire to spend time on the island. I appreciate all the jnfkrm
@TLADY8TY you can take Portuguese lessons here:

Camões – Centro de Língua Portuguesa
Campus de Palmarejo - Universidade de Cabo Verde.

They have a Facebook page where you can find more information. Classes are helped at the Universidade de Cabo Verde campus.

You can contact the director, Mariana Faria, about enrolling in lessons at this email: [email protected]

They are charging about $4.5 an hour for Private lesson, which is what I am doing.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Best,
Felipe

So awesome! Thank you very much. @FelipeGeorge

@Julien
Hello my name is Andy,
         Honestly I really don't know what the hell I'm doing? However of all nations, I've got my sights set on beautiful Cabo Verde!!
          I live in USA and want to leave. Not impressed here...The island life of Cabo Verde would suit me just fine!! So I think?
         So here I am reading you guys stories and taking them in with great enthusiasm.
Cabo Verde was the last place I looked at and, well hell the last became the first!!
       Cheers and I'll be following along.
                                             Andy
Hi everyone,

Welcome on board!

Seems that you have found your little paradise, Andy!

Have you visited Cabo Verde ? Hopefully, you will find lots of information on the forum.

Regards,
Bhavna
Hello everyone,
My name is Adetunji,I am so happy to be in this forum ...Cape Verde has been a country I have be looking forward to coming....Love to be there to teach My mathematical skills....Also love to meet with different people 
Hello awotunji2014u,

Welcome to Expat.com1f603.svg

How can we help you?

Is there something specific that you are looking for on this forum?

Feel free to ask your questions.

Cheers,

Cheryl
Expat.com team
Im here I have few qualifications and skills under my sleeve, I have painting skill I'm an experience house paint I live in Santa Maria and I am looking forward to get a job if you could help with that
Im here I have few qualifications and skills under my sleeve, I have painting skill I'm an experience house paint I live in Santa Maria and I am looking forward to get a job if you could help with that
- @Okoisama

Hi Okoisama,

The best way to get a job in Cape Verde is to walk around with your resume and speak directly to potential employers. Since you have experience painting houses, you should talk to construction companies or contractors.

Unfortunately, there are not many jobs available, there are hundreds of other job seekers, and if you cannot speak the language of the emoloyer, it will be quite challenging.

Best of luck,

Angelo
@Cheryl thanks greatly,
I'm here to meet friends and be free ..... also wish to get a teaching job
@Cheryl thanks greatly,
I'm here to meet friends and be free ..... also wish to get a teaching job
- @awotunji2014u

Hi Awotunji,

Welcome to the CV forum.

Getting a teaching job may not be feasible. Do you speak Portuguese fluently? If not, there is no way to get a teaching job as a public school teacher. In addition to the language, there are other criteria and constraints.

Please take the time to review the other topics on the forum. There have already been many discussions about the prospects for teaching in Cape Verde, as well as dozens of other threds regarding living and working in Cape Verde.

Regards,

Angelo
Hello awotunji2014u,

You can try posting on Jobs in Cape Verde. You my find some luck there1f609.svg

Cheers,

Yoginee
Expat.com team

@expat.com  Hi my name is Samuel Thomas from Nigeria

@FelipeGeorge Check out this site:  learnkabuverdianu.com/ I actually take a class with Catia, twice a month via zoom and it's been the best experience!

@banditrider2

Hi. I have been living on the Island of Fogo since Jan 24, 2022 and love it here. However, what I suggest is you plan to spend 3 months in Cabo Verde to make sure you would like to live here. All the islands here are a bit different so you should spend time on several if not all of them before making a decision. For a retiree it's great here but if you will need to work that may be a problem for you. I would also suggest you learn Portuguese and/ or Kriolo as the vast majority of Cape Verdeans do not speak English.

@Julien Hi Julien, nice to meet you. I just wrote a post about moving to Cape Verde. I am a bit lost here since I never lived in Africa. I am looking for accommodation for a month in Praia or on Sal that would be my base to explore the islands I do not know. I was in Mindelo and San Antao and I loved Mindelo because of all the music, the dancing and the warm people. If you have some free time can you please help me?

Thank you, Alessia

Hi,

I invite you to follow this topic on this new thread: https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1013440

Thanks!

Closed