New members of the Bulgaria forum, introduce yourselves here - 2022

Hi all,

Newbie on the Bulgaria forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country,
or to tell us more on your expat projects in Bulgaria if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Hi everyone,
I came back from the UK after being several years abroad in different countries and it looks like I need to re-discover Sofia (and Bulgaria) again. Many things have changed in the mean time, incl. myself. Hope to benefit from this group exactly as the foreigners who moved to Bulgaria and maybe make nice contacts with its members.
For the time being I am babysitting a cute 1y and 4 mo old girl, whose parents are working and completely new to Bulgaria. We all speak English and would like to get connected with other English speaking families with children for possible meet ups in a park or children centers.
Annie

We would reply but we don't understand how people make contact on the expat website as it has not been explained. Charles

Faculty wrote:

We would reply but we don't understand how people make contact on the expat website as it has not been explained. Charles

Use the private message service - Sorted :)

Chris, the private messaging is the speech bubble icon in the top right hand corner.

I'm moving to varna Sept 2022 and looking for work and a place to stay until I rent a appt

Hi, I'm Tanya!

I just joined Expat, and I'm excited to introduce myself and make new connections.

I'm a Bulgarian and live in the city of Plovdiv where I run my small skincare business. It's a cosmetic studio called My Beauty Time.

I'm happy to share my experience with you and contribute to the quality conversation in this forum.

Hello, we are new to the group and joined because we are thinking about moving to Bulgaria from the UK.

We are coming over next month to look at areas and properties so are gathering as much information as possible before we go!

Hello I am trying to make friends in the borgas Karnobat region.
My partner and I have a house near Karnobat and use it as a holiday home.
We would very much like to make new friends and meet up when we out there.
Can you help at all.
I am new on here not really sure where to start. 
Donna.

Hiya.
I am new on here and was wondering if you still had plans to move to Bulgaria.
I am trying to make friends.
My partner has a holiday home near Karnobat  near Borgas.
Would you like to make friends.
I would love to hear from you. 
Donna.

Hey I live in Sofia moved here after coming on and off for the last 20 years, kids off to uni in Amsterdam now so thought why not, changes every year so assumed if we moved we'd be able to keep track better!

Hey i am Richard from the netherlands new here and i am trying to find out how far the possibilities are in bulgaria for living off the grid, i can find many homes inside towns that are stil connected to many stuf, but i prefer to be as less dependant as i have to be, i understand fully wont be possible but i would like to be free to do on the land what i would like, trying to go for a earthship concept home in the future aswel and maybe find more to do this with currenty its just me and 1 good friend searching.

Richard Vdf Beekman wrote:

Hey i am Richard from the netherlands new here and i am trying to find out how far the possibilities are in bulgaria for living off the grid, i can find many homes inside towns that are stil connected to many stuf, but i prefer to be as less dependant as i have to be, i understand fully wont be possible but i would like to be free to do on the land what i would like, trying to go for a earthship concept home in the future aswel and maybe find more to do this with currenty its just me and 1 good friend searching.

Hello Richard. Welcome. If you are meaning living without public utilities like water and electric, it is really quite easy to find old village houses which have either never been, or have long since been disconnected from services. In the depopulated villages, this is very common. I have purchased a house where the only water supply is from an old well and although there was once electric, a complete rewire has now been done, encountering more problems with getting the electric company to re run a supply to the house. I am also having water laid from the mains as off the grid living is not for me.  I hope you manage to achieve your dream!

Thank you very much :) well i would like to find a peace where i got flowing water/wood atleast on the  ground itself lovely iff theres something standing already that could be renovated/ multiple would be even   better aswell, water flow would need be year round preferably, and doesnt have to be all to far offgrid, could be close to a town aswel where i could buy certain stuf that i cant provice myself yet with.  But i dont even know what region i would be looking at climate wise to find so stil orienting pretty much on where the best location would be to find this. Would love 4 seasons but no to harsh winters, could freeze bit but prefer not lower then -5 unles its a peak season going lower, Burgas everytime keep pop up , but might be better iff someone that live there alrdy  knows  a better region with what i look for

Hi we purchased a house in Morava, near Levski. Nice quiet little town with a few English people living in the village. 

We are not looking to live there full time. We will come and go. At the moment, we are renovating it. We love coming here. We are leaving today to go home after being here for few weeks having works done. While here we forget what day it is, we don't clock watch and we relax fully - even why working on house. 

We are early 50's so it will be a long time yet before we even think of living here permanently, but until then we enjoy coming over every few months. 

We do have friends in our village that live permanently and are from England. We choose this area because our close friends came out and purchased their forever home in this village. We came to stay a couple of times snd loved the feel. 

Sam 

@Julien 

Hi Julien and all the members on this forum. My name is Charles and i am married for 31 years with the love of my life named Connie. We are Dutch and we have two grown up kids. We are looking for a family home with a minimum of 3000m2 agricultural land but not more than 30/40 minuten from some nice beaches. Any help with our search about areas would be wonderful.

Charles

Just push the reply button and post to someine you want to meet with..

Good luck in your search.i prefer the sea..and reside in Pomorie.
Its 30 minutes from Bourgas and the airport..good bus connections too.. a wonderful town.
@Julien Dear,
I'm from Belgium but I'm living in Bulgaria for 3 years now.
I've been traveling back and forth between Bulgaria and Belgium.
I want to live permanently in Bulgaria and for this I'm looking for a job in Sofia, Pazardzik or Plovdiv.
I speak fluently Dutch, English and French.
I have a drivers license.
I have experience in nightlife, restaurant, hotel, agriculture, security and project realisation.
If anyone can point me in the right direction, many thanks in advance!
Greetings,

Dave
Hi everyone, I am not an expat (yet) but coming to Bulgaria again, as I liked it last time and might stay longer or for good.

Interested in everything bicycle.
@mick mcmullen

Hi Mick and Ilkay, good to read your post. Yunets is not too far from where we bought an old house in December 2020, in the village of Dyulino. which is further along the Dyulino Pass in the direction of Burgas. Our taxes are paid in Byala and we are also close to Obzor. Both towns about 20 minutes drive from our village. We live in U.K. and have started our renovation project. Both retired (sort of) 70+, Bryan still teaches as a supply lecturer at colleges in the term times in U.K. We know Yunets as we met a couple last year who have recently sold their house there and moved back to U.K. after many years in Bulgaria. Unfortunately Bryan is not into football! Unbelievable I know! He enjoys anything practical including renovating old cars, houses. His interests include light aeroplanes and cooking, which he is somewhat passionate about. He describes himself as idiosyncratic.  My interests are somewhat eclectic, meeting friends for coffee, I support Barcelona. I enjoy swimming, walking, natural environment, conversation, culture, travel,  music and live gigs.
Regards. Annette
Hello,

My name is Jitske. I'm from Amsterdam, Netherlands. While traveling last summer, I met my girlfriend. She is Bulgarian and that raises for me the question: am I able to move to Bulgaria or life here at least some time, combined with a bit of traveling back and forth.

Next autumn I'm going to stay here for at least a month to see how life would be here (in Sofia).

I'm the most worried that the English speaking community here is quite non-existing. Even many of my girlfriends friends are not speaking English, or barely speaking English. In Amsterdam I'm very used to having many expat friends and switching to English is very common. I'm very curious what you guys experience related to that?

(Besides the English also the aspect of Gay rights is something that plays a role. Coming from a very liberal place like Amsterdam, I'm maybe not so prepared to be gay in a country with far less rights and opportunities.)

At least, nice to meet you all!

Kind Regards, Jitske
Hi there!

we know Dyulino very well, our friends Ian and Cal live there. you probably know them? (in fact we probably had a look at the house you bought as we were house hunting at the end of 2000 and Ian showed us around the village at possible properties but we didn't have the money back then!)  would be great to meet up when you are back in Bulgaria, We could do with some tips on house renovation as its not my strong point!  We too are into live music, i used to be a drummer but havent played in anger for over 5 years now. email address is *. ill drop you an email with our contact details when we land next week!
- @mick mcmullen
Hi there! Thanks for your response. Yes, we have met your friends from Dyulino a few times, helpful and lots of useful advice as they have been here some time. It will be interesting to see whether the house we bought is one you looked at. We are here in Dyulino at the moment but leaving on 22nd as new term starts next Monday. We are looking forward to meeting up with you both. If you arrive before we leave then during the week. Otherwise exchange contact details and be in touch soon. I am not sure whether this message is being received privately or added to the post. Tried the bubble this time!
All the best.
Hi all. I'm Sue and me and my husband (Richard) are looking to move from the UK (to retire, eventually). Has anyone had any experience of taking horses over and can they live on your own land 😬
Good for you..theres a great deal of help available..this site is new to me..but i used to use a site called
MYBULGARIA ( forums ) dont know if this site has them..or relies on readers to answer.. but good luck anyway.

@janemulberry I still don't understand top right hand corner speech bubble, please clarify.

Hello,
I'm from the US and hoping to retire in Bulgaria. I've purchased a small, rough home near the town of Levski. I'm coming to check the place out and to explore all of Bulgaria that I can next month.

Does anyone have recommendations for sites to see while I'm there? I'm flying into Sofia and spending time in VT city, but I have some time to meander through the country.

Also, any suggestions for 'must have' items when visiting a decrepit property for the first time?

Thanks,
Diana
Take light bulbs, a torch, paper and pen and a tape measure. Also a water bottle and a toilet roll.
@Nettie605 , you may have already found how to message. On my screen, if I look to the top right hand corner of the forum page, there's a row of icons. The one of the left end of the row looks like a cartoon speech bubble. When you have active chats the number of messages will show up there, you can click on it to access existing messages, and you can also start a chat from there.
The easier option is to click on someone's name in a comment they make, which will take you to their profile page. There's a white button prominent on the profile page saying "Send a message".

@jjitss
If you're an EU citizen, you have free right of movement. I believe there's some paperwork if you decide to make Bulgaria your permanent home, but you should be able to stay a fair length of time with no problem.

@Imadidi, I'll be doing the same later this year. I think what Berryd suggested sounds accurate. Though the light bulbs are only useful once you get the power on, so I'm also taking a small solar panel and battery pack. I'm hoping my place has at least one decent room that I can camp in. Also wondering if I'll need a hard hat and steel toe boots. 1f606.svg
Hi guys!

I am living nearby, in Serbia, but I plan to move to Sofia due to work soon. :)
Hi all, Shane from east Lancashire.

My wife and I have just purchased our Bulgarian home in a small village just outside of Byala, Ruse. It needs work but comes with an acre!

We will spend the next couple of years working on the property whilst still living / working in the UK. We're hoping to eventually retire and live in Bulgaria but that's a while off yet. It's a beautiful country and can't wait to start working on the property so we can spend a lot more time there.
Just back from Plovdiv. Just got my car on Bulgarian Plates, insurance and paid tax. I have bought a small place in Pirin. I live in Plovdiv officially. reason 10 percent tax max. Savings about 180.000 euro a year. Good food. Good wine Good weather. Cars new and second hand cheaper. Fuel cheaper.  What is there not to like. I am looking to buy a place in Boergas close to the beach. Why I come from the Netherlands and lived always close to the beach. I miss it.

@Dave Alpaerts Good luck you will get it on your path. Just believe in your self.

We have a small house in a village in the Pomorie municipality.  I'm here at the moment awaiting an appointment  with the  NHS for knee surgery.  Once this has been done I'll be moving here full time.
@ikbenrijkaangoud

Burgas is a nice city. Congratulations! and, it is in the South part of Black sea, which means warmer and sunnier than Varna. I hope all goes smooth for you.

Annie
@shane dobson

Hi shane Russe is a nice town..i met my wife there over 30 yrs ago.
We now live in Chatham kent
And Pomorie nr bourgas.
Wishing you luck in your venture.
@kaththomas2017

Hi kath..good luck with your knee op
I guess your not too far from me.
I live in Pomorie old town with my bulgarian wife.
Fantastic place..love this paradise.
@kaththomas2017

Hi kath..good luck with your knee op
I guess your not too far from me.
I live in Pomorie old town with my bulgarian wife.
Fantastic place..love this paradise.
@kaththomas2017.

Hi Kath.
I hope your operation goes well.
My partner and I have a holiday home about 45 mins drive from Pomorie.
It's a lovely  coastal resort and we have been many times
We are visiting Bulgaria this week and will hopefully be back in August.
Be good if we could make friends.
Take care. 
Donna and Kevin.   
Hi All,

I'm an American in the very early stages of looking into relocating my family of 4 (myself, my wife, and 2 children, ages 5 and 2) to Bulgaria.

My wife is Bulgarian, and has been living with me in the states since 2013. During this time we have visited Bulgaria many times over the years. I have spent almost a year total in the country, and my family and I have really enjoyed it.

We have many reasons we would like to move to Bulgaria. With our kids still very young, we thought this might be the best time for them to transition. We are specifically looking at Varna, or Sofia as these would be the easiest transitions for my line of work (IT Consultant). We are looking to move by September 2023.

Any websites with proper information to get started with the process,other than what the expat website already offers, would be much appreciated.
Closed