Driving an imported car in Serbia

Hi everyone,
can I get a local insurance and drive my car with a US plates in Serbia, or do I need to have it registered?

Thank you

You would need International insurance for the beginning. After the inspection has expired it would need to be registered and imported properly. If you are moving to Serbia you can import it as part of the household goods with a tax free percentage. Some insurance companies here might insure it but it will be rather expensive.

Hi Kneeland,
Moving to Serbia, means that if I buy a property or open a business in Serbia; I will be able to apply for temp residency and the car will be tax exempt?
Also, does the tax exempt applies to all cars? I have a 2016 Range Rover Sport with only 18K miles.

If you purchase property or open a business you can apply to temporary residence (after 5 years temporary you can apply for permanent). The tax exemption is on the total value of the household goods. I can only recommend considering consulting a lawyer that deals mainly with immigration. I can recommend you a good one if you want.

Dale

I guess the tax exempt will take place once the person gets their PR., as for the lawyer, I have been talking to one that I met via referral. Thank you for the information.

I'm Italian but I live in Serbia where I have residence and where I pay tax.
I have to register my Italian car in Serbia and change car plates.
I know that there is a convention between Italy and Serbia and I do not have to pay import (custom)
tax.
Do you know what I have to do?
I need a Kontakt of a reliable person/agency that can manage the matter.
All those I contacted asked me a lot of money (up to 6.000€) with the excuse of customs duties which, on the other hand, do not have to be paid.
Thanks.

I believe you need a letter from customs about the legal import before you can register the vehicle. Try contacting the customs office in your area. I believe you will have to pay a small amount but not sure how much. I would go there and ask. Most agencies will charge you all kinds of money because you are not Serbian (sad but true). A lawyer that deals with import for foreigners might help also. Wish I had more info.