Moving to Sri Lanka solo

Hello everybody,

Moving to Sri Lanka is a challenge in itself, but even more when you decide to go alone. If this was your case when you arrived, we would like you to share your experience. It might help other people who are also preparing for this new life in Sri Lanka.

Do you have any tips for people who are about to move to Sri Lanka on their own? Is the country suitable, for instance, for a single woman?

What was your state of mind when you arrived in Sri Lanka?

What type of accommodation did you choose: house-share, self-contained accommodation or apartment complex?

How did your integration go once settled? Do you think that being alone made it easier to make friends?

Did you encounter any particular difficulties, being alone when you arrived? If you had to do it all over again, would you take a chance?

Thank you for your contribution!

Cheryl,
Expat.com team

Hi Cheryl,
People in Srilanka are easy going and they are collaborative.  they respect foreigners. Me and wife were in Sri Lanka for 2 years and our stay in the country was safe.

thanks,

Ashwin

Moderated by Cheryl 2 years ago
Reason : For security reasons, do not post contact details on the forum please.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Now not the time to travel to Colombo , Srilanka bcoz lots of political problems going on there.
Shortage of food & restaurants are closed or Higher prices , cost triple than year ago.

Cheryl

Your choice of location will depend on what you intend to do here. My wife and I live near Hikkaduwa and despite fuel and cooking gas shortages along with some foodstuffs increasing in price we still love it here. Personally I would try and steer clear of Colombo and Negombo I find them expensive and not particular nice areas to live, but that's just my personal opinion. You can rent a reasonable 2 bed villa in this area for remarkably little as long as your not looking beachside. I holster we built our villa e rented a 2 bed house with a/c in both bedrooms for Lk Rs 100,000 a month not including utilities.

Hope this helps, if you need any further info feel free to message me.
@Cheryl
Hi
I'm moving there soon
Niroshi

@Cheryl I live in Sri Lanka, a very beautiful country, although it is going through an economic crash, it will be gone in the near future.  I will be ready to help you if you come to Sri Lanka.