Global Affairs Canada interferes with DR Residency Applications

I was advised and confirmed today that suddenly the DR is requiring all Canadian Residency documents must be “Authenticated” by Global Affairs Canada effective immediately!

They will also no longer permit the Toronto consulate to process documents. GAC will not allow in person services. Documents must be mailed and estimated to take 5 weeks to process. Then they are sent to the Embassy to be stamped!

My lawyer there (Lishali) and all embassy/consulate members here are stunned.

Yep, we are the "other" family going through the same thing.  We are about ready to cancel the process (even after all monies spent) and just come and stay illegally like many others.  This is ridiculous.  We are not rich, sold our home, all household items (only 10 suitcases for 4 people) and sold vehicles, and renting a temp place until our flights.  We have our flights booked but now we are dealing with this bullcrap because the DR Consulate can't get their bureaucratic red tape together and of course with no notice at all even knowing that Lily was in process of these applications.  Very disappointed newly retired Canadian.

Wow!  This is a big deal!

Is this "authentication" by Global Affairs equivalent to the apostille process that those of us from Hague Apostille Convention signatory countries must do? If so, I'm surprised this wasn't already a requirement.

Lily is fighting this for us but I personally believe the Canadian Government strong armed the DR ministry to make this sudden change. I'm in a similar situation to you.  Let's hope there is resolution quickly

Are you serious? I recently got my RS vis and I just arrived in DR trying to apply for residency.....this is going to destroy me!

If you already got approved for Step 1 of your Retiree Visa before you went to the DR then you may be fine.  This just started.  Talk to your lawyer to see if it's required.

I was advised yesterday I'm getting my stamp. I can mail the documents into Global Affairs and when Authenticated, they can mail them to you here or send them via courier to you or your lawyer down there. Check with your own lawyer.

Yes thezuber, I was thrilled to hear this as well.  Phew!  😁

We have a condo in Punta Cana and just bought land in the Vista Cana project to build a home to eventually be there for either 7 months a year or full time.  We had planned on filing for residency once house gets started in maybe 2 years.  Can you explain what this change in applying involves or causes to help in our preparation.  I plan on doing real estate there as that is our careers here in Canada now.  Hope to do that in both countries each year travelling back and forth when needed.  Any help would be greatly appreciated

Wow, more red tape. We just arrived two weeks ago with our temporary retirement residency visa. Believe me it is not an easy process, it took about 3 months to get every thing together and now they are adding another 25 days. The main problem is that there does not appear to be a definitive set of rules, even the Dominican requirements are sketchy on what has to be postulated or not. What we learned, assume that everything need government authentication and that takes a lot of time.

SoldbyMike, it should not affect you if you are not already mid process.  It just means that when you do apply, you will need to send most of your documents to Canada Global Affairs in Ottawa first before sending to the DR Consulate.  At this time, it takes an estimated 25 business days to complete plus mailing time.  Apparently length of time is still longer due to COVID.  At one point, this process could be completed in person but that service is not available during COVID.  Just allow yourself many months to get all of your documents together and you will be fine.  And use an immigration lawyer because DR requirements are vague and change frequently.

Soldbymike - read through the pinned residency post for details on what the qualifications are for residency here. If you plan to work here, you will need residency or a work visa.