Hi all, Question about renting and NIF

Im driving down to stick a finger in the dirt and get a feel for Portugal to see if its for me to live there.

As im from Denmark i think i can stay for 90 days without a visa (EU member) ?
I want to rent a flat/townhouse for 2-3 months, and probably some Airbnb´s here and there  i guess it will be comparable to a vacation, just not tru some travel agency.

Big question is: do i need a NIF for that ?

Thank you in advance

/Lars

Hi Lars.

I have been in Portugal as resident (NHR) from beginning 2019.

I went through a similar process before deciding to locate and become resident in Algarve from UK.

As you are an EU member you need no Visa to remain in Portugal for 3 minths or even longer.
(Freedom of work and movement between EU states).

No need to apply for NIF although, if you want or need then the process is very simple and I can advise

Good idea to remain and rent for a few months and look around.

If looking outside high season (July-Sept) then finding a 3 month rental ought to be simpler and cheaper too!

I am in Albufeira which is central and ideal if you are specifically searching in Algarve area.
I can also possibly offer a central large double room en suite at very competitive rental rate - but only during any of the months Jan-June.
More details if of any interest.

Hope this helps.

Alan.

No Niff required

Thanks for your reply Alan.

I will be driving down within the next 2 weeks :-)

/Lars

Best of luck and enjoy, Lars
I tell this to everyone considering living in Portugal..
Buy the Blevin Frank "Living in Portugal" from their website for under €10.
It saved my 50x its value on good advice and info.
NIF, NHR, Tax, House Purchase, Driving license, relocation, importing goods, inheretence taxation and CGT etc etc..
And no...I have no connection with them.

Though you don't need a nif, it is required for example to enter into a long term lease, buy a motor car, buy property and other formal acts. If you rent short term accommodation, hotels, etc - no need to have a nif.

Be aware that the right of movement is not absolute - there are some restrictions.  If you decide to stay longer than 3 months, you should register during the 90-120 day period (you can do so earlier) - this is done at the local municipality

Simple answer is no

@TonyJ1

Based on responses here, I understand you don't need NIF for short-term rentals. Just to confirm, does that include renting a furnished apartment (not airbnb) <  90 days or so?

Thanks

-Arul

@knylps dear Lars, not only do you not need a visa, but you don't need a NIF. If you exceed the threshold from which you are considered resident in Portugal, usually 183 days in any year, then you will be considered resident for tax purposes and you will need a NIF as the Portuguese government will want to collect taxes from you on your global income.

@slugsurmamates Hi there Alan (if I may?)

I hope I'm not breeching etiquette or anything but I saw your post and though it might be perfect for me.

It's my intention to come to the Algarve, notionally, on 14th or 17th January and, if possible, be armed with some information to set me on my journey to retirement there.

If you had something to let...?

I'm a quiet and bookish sort of a man but I do like to cycle and keep fit.  I think what I'm trying to indicate here is that I wouldn't be a lot of bother.

Get back to me with details if you're offer hasn't ben taken-up already.

Bob

Hi Bob,

You can send a private message to @slugsurmamates, maybe it will be easier for him to read it.

Thanks again.  I will get used to this site eventually ... I hope!

hello my name is conrad chua,need info concerning finding 1to 2months temporary accommodation in faro or taviraplanning to take 9 daystouring portugal wiyh norwegian cruiseline which end sin lidbon and extend my vacation for another 2months and do strial run living in algarve areanear faroto see if that is the area iwant to live full time next yeari'm retired will try to apply as resident using nhrsinceusing my retirement pension income to qualify for residencyany information ewoill be kindly appreciated, pls email me at chuaconrad @gmail.com

thank you

conrad chua

@conradmilpitas in the Algarve timing will be crucial, if the two months are after the summer that is better. otherwise you will be charged summer rates. Take a look at Algarve Long Lets as the site has the largest medium term portfolio in the region. Not sure how many in Faro but plenty in Tavira

@knylps hi as EU citizen, no limit on how long you stay and do not need a NIF. depending on date, use Algarve Long Lets in the Algarve as a source to find medium term options, but avoiding the summer.