Covid-19 restrictions acquiring work permit

Hi all

I have been living and working in Vietnam for over two years already. I have a valid TRC as well as a valid work permit until mid August 2021. My question is, has anyone else been asked to fork out a large sum of money to pay for a health/police declaration and work permit application? I realise there is always this underlying foreigners amount that we pay. I'm just struggling to understand how the company I am working for has asked me to pay over just under 20mil vnd, almost double from my first permit. Their answer to the same question was that because of Covid-19 the process to get my work permit is going to take longer, the health declaration cannot be done at our usual medical centre and the criminal check cannot be done as well as they(the department)don't want to risk being infected and so they have out sourced the work to an agency which has assured my company that they can get all the documents without me having to go in. I am assuming they will pay for all these forms and this is why they have asked for the amount they have. I do not feel comfortable with this at all and it sounds fake. Obviously because of Covid our household has had to make do with less than a quarter of our previous income so to fork over 20mil when there isn't a clear indication as to when work will return to normal or is even going to go back to normal soon. This means I could be paying out money that we might need in order to survive further without a guarantee that we can go back to work. All this and the fact that our work permits are now no longer going to be 2 years, but less, makes me very uncomfortable.

Any insight or acknowledgements of the same would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you kindly
Joe

I paid a lawyer $200US back in 2012 to do my work permit.  (After that my center changed it's policy and started paying for the legal work.)   Most of the work is just legal grunt work, running around town to collect documents.  Most of it can be handled by paralegal employees.  It may be necessary to allow extra time right now but I fail to see how even with inflation it should take 4x the amount.  If some offices are closed they, and you, just have to wait.  It's not like they are going downtown every day and knocking on the door just to check.  I would be looking for another law firm.

What is your TRC , marriage?

colinoscapee asked a very valid question. If you are married to a VN partner then, according to VN law, you do not need a work permit - period. (Article 154.8 of VN labor law).
If the company, or someone else, tries to tell you differently, tell them to read the law.
Regardless of whether you are married or not, right now you are protected by the directive 16 lockdown restrictions forbidding anyone to go out for anything other than food or health emergency. Besides, your WP is not expired yet so don't worry. When the restrictions are lifted, if you wish, you may contact me. My wife worked as a chief accountant for an international brewery here in HCMC. She knows how to run all the paperwork and will be happy to help you at no charge. However, if you wish to pay her something, she will donate it to the other expats. However, there will be government fees you'll have to cover.

The work permit exemption status just means less paperwork when you get a job.. still have to apply but instead for a work permit exemption certificate.. jus true same process with another name

drutter wrote:

When the restrictions are lifted, if you wish, you may contact me. My wife worked as a chief accountant for an international brewery here in HCMC. She knows how to run all the paperwork and will be happy to help you at no charge. However, if you wish to pay her something, she will donate it to the other expats. However, there will be government fees you'll have to cover.

I can vouch for the integrity of Drutter's spouse who has been very gracious to me for almost two years now, and who knows a lot about visa (anything she doesn't know, she would contact the authority to get the answer.)  She has done that for me voluntarily before and followed through with it even though I've never pressured her for her help or taken advantage of her generosity.

I know of her plan to establish a non-profit organisation to help expats in all the difficult issues that we must face.  It's a laudable effort.  I wish her success in her endeavours.

Ciambella wrote:
drutter wrote:

When the restrictions are lifted, if you wish, you may contact me. My wife worked as a chief accountant for an international brewery here in HCMC. She knows how to run all the paperwork and will be happy to help you at no charge. However, if you wish to pay her something, she will donate it to the other expats. However, there will be government fees you'll have to cover.

I can vouch for the integrity of Drutter's spouse who has been very gracious to me for almost two years now, and who knows a lot about visa (anything she doesn't know, she would contact the authority to get the answer.)  She has done that for me voluntarily before and followed through with it even though I've never pressured her for her help or taken advantage of her generosity.

I know of her plan to establish a non-profit organisation to help expats in all the difficult issues that we must face.  It's a laudable effort.  I wish her success in her endeavours.

Deserves every expats support if she can achieve this.. kudos to Mrs Drutter... I'm sure it will be tough knowing how laughable some official channels can be.. happy to help if I can

Thank you very much for you support. I am happy to have your support.

Yes our TRC is through marriage.

Hi, thank you so much for the response. However I am not married to a VN woman. Does that change the outcome or does that law still apply?

Thanks
Joe

Yes our TRC is through marriage.

sjoe7329 wrote:

Hi, thank you so much for the response. However I am not married to a VN woman. Does that change the outcome or does that law still apply?

Thanks
Joe

Ok, so which answer is correct?

I got my TRC because I am married. My wife got it through the company she works for. She is not VN though. We are both from South Africa.

sjoe7329 wrote:

I got my TRC because I am married. My wife got it through the company she works for. She is not VN though. We are both from South Africa.

What you're saying is that your TRC is not the result of being married to a Vietnamese national, but as an "annex" (for lack of better terms) to another TRC.  Your wife is the main TRC holder through her company, and because you're her spouse who naturally must move to VN to live with her, you're also issued a TRC.  Do I understand you correctly?

Your statements threw people into confusion because the term "TRC by/through marriage" usually means "by marrying to a Vietnamese citizen who lives in Vietnam".

Yes that is correct my apologies for the confusion.

Ciambella wrote:
sjoe7329 wrote:

What you're saying is that your TRC is not the result of being married to a Vietnamese national, but as an "annex" (for lack of better terms) to another TRC.  Your wife is the main TRC holder through her company, and because you're her spouse who naturally must move to VN to live with her, you're also issued a TRC.  Do I understand you correctly?

Your statements threw people into confusion because the term "TRC by/through marriage" usually means "by marrying to a Vietnamese citizen who lives in Vietnam".

I had a feeling it would be that, but there are so many unclear posts about TRC's its always best to gain clarity.

To: Mr. Drutter. I would very much like to get some advice from your wife. How would I go about doing so? Thank you. Michael Burr

Please check your Private Chat. I have sent you a message there.