The Dollar's Supremacy Over the Peruvian Sol

Peru's had its problems of late -- including a crushed economy, the deadly virus Situation, corrupt politicians at the highest level.

One attraction for Expats relocating to South America is the strength of the U.S. Dollar (USD) versus the Peruvian Sol (PEN). 

Viewing the five-year chart at the exchange-rates site www.xe.com, we see that U.S. currency bottomed out at 3.21 Soles to the Dollar in January 2019 .. and has been on a near-steady rise ever since .. rising to almost 4 Soles to the USD as of today.

This means that compared with early 2019, an Expat can expect to get about 25 percent more for his/her U.S. Dollar now.

Is that enough to make the difference in where an Expat relocates in South America?

You make the call.

cccmedia

One month later .. the weak Sol has only gotten weaker versus the U.S. Dollar.

The current exchange rate is 4.1 Soles to the Dollar.

Source... xe.com USD-PEN charts

Exchange rate in early October.

Dollarized Expats continue to reap benefits from an exchange rate that favors U.S. Dollars over Soles.

The current exchange rate is 4.14 Soles to the Dollar.  That's almost an extra Sol per dollar since late July, two-and-a-half months ago.

Source... xe.com USD-PEN charting

I'm booking my flight this week to come at the end of the month and I have to figure out whether to deal direct on an apartment or go through realtors again.  Maybe you can give me some guidance.  I'm retired and going to be renting.  The prices are sure right.

For my next trip to Miraflores/Lima, I expect to book an apartment via Airbnb.com ...

The pandemia pricing at the site is customer-favorable, especially when you figure in a monthly discount, which seems to kick in for stays of 28 days or longer at many listings.

There are safeguards in the AirBnB system, such as designating super-hosts and including listing-reviews, that you may not get with a Spanish-language realtor.

cccmedia

Sol remains weak versus Dollar.

The U.S. Dollar remains above the four-Soles level as of today, December 13, 2021.

For about four years 2016-19, the Dollar was valued at about 3.3 Soles with minor fluctuations.

In recent months, the exchange has stabilized with the Dollar worth slightly more than four Soles.

Source... xe.com USD-PEN charting

Sol is stronger.

The Peruvian Sol has strengthened some
versus the U.S. Dollar this year.

The Dollar is currently worth 3.93 Soles,
according to xe.com.

cccmedia
At the rate the US is creating dollars I am not surprised.. However the US😔 is not the only one that creates money.🙄

we see that U.S. currency bottomed out at 3.21 Soles to the Dollar in January 2019 .. and has been on a near-steady rise ever since .. rising to almost 4 Soles to the USD as of today.

You know I was looking at Menu Prices for Restaurants in Lima (from Google Maps) and it still looks like I'm gonna be Paying $9-$10 USD per Meal.

Are there Street Vendors/Smaller Restaurants that aren't on GMaps in Lima that have Meals for like $4-$5/Meal?

I'm booking my flight this week to come at the end of the month and I have to figure out whether to deal direct on an apartment or go through realtors again.

What did you decide for this^^?

I was thinking of either a Realtor or Airbnb....I think I can get a Place for $500USD/Mo on Airbnb....saving all the Time/Cost of a Realtor (+ the Airbnb would come Furnished).

Dear TGGOAT,

Welcome to the South America forums
of Expat.com ...

Prices are higher in the fancy sectors
such as Miraflores and some streets
in Barranco.

You can find almuerzos  for under
5 US in many other sectors.

I would avoid buying food from
street vendors except under
two conditions...

1.  You have an iron stomach.

2.  You're in Thailand.  Everybody
eats the tasty street food in Thailand
without problems .. though
I don't know why. 

cccmedia
I see you offer to provide a list of
"high interest" women in Lima ..
a través de  your offer at
rosterbuilder.co .. "in 30 days."

30 days seems like a long time
to wait for this result in the
Digital Era.

What say you?

cccmedia

As a side note, I eat from street vendors Anticuchos ;)  they are best on the street, not sure why.  Never gotten sick, but they are on a grill so.. :-)  Also fresh bags of orange juice.    yes, $5 meals are not hard to find, but for $10 you can get amazing meals!