Uniao Estavel - Permanent Residency Process Question

Hey there, I'm currently going through the process of getting my residency via Uniao Estavel. I'm currently gathering my documents and have a few questions.

1) My FBI background check -- Has anyone had any problems with this? On the check they only put my first and last name, and the last four digits of my social security to identify me. Is that enough for the Federal Police to accept that? Are more information or supplemental documents required?

2) Appostilled - I have the apostille certificate for my documents, however they only stapled an extra paper to the original document and the the document themselves. Will the Federal Police accept these..  it seems like that would be easy to fraud

3) Citizenship -  I've been hearing different things about the process after I get my residency. By having a "companion" does that mean I'd only have to wait one year to go through the naturlization process from the date of me obtaining my residency?

Thanks!

07/10/21

Kevinho1

Sounds like you're in pretty good shape.

1. Your FBI Background Check sounds right.  My entire SSN was x'ed out on my last one.  As long as it's on the standard FBI stationary and apostilled, there should be no problem with the Federal Police accepting it.

2. Every authority apostilles documents differently.  Most apostilles are affixed in a way that separating them from the underlying document will damage and invalidate both the apostille and the document, but if yours are less firmly attached, just be careful not to actually detach them, and you should be ok.

3. Yes, as a partner in a legally registered união estável, you can apply for naturalization as soon as you have at least one year of continuous residence in Brazil after the issue date of your CRNM; time spent in Brazil before you receive your CRNM doesn't count.  You'll need a fresh FBI Background Check for your application, and you'll need to pass the CelpeBras exam to demonstrate your mastery of Portuguese.  There are several threads here on Naturalization and CelpeBras that should be helpful to you.

Good luck, and congratulations!

Thank you so much!

abthree is correct. I am looking at my report and it does have my middle initial. I have the Sec of State certificate with the apostille on the back of the same. With a big warning if the stape is removed it is not vaild.

Hi there,
I can answer only on the first and your second question.
Yes it is accepted (at least for me) only first and last name and only the last 4 digits of your social.
I am 63 and married to a Brazilian the last 9 years.
Second question
The Apostile was attached to the results from the FBI with a round type of staple. I have seen this type with big organizations :) like the government.
Do not forget to translate the docs in Brazil with an approved translator by the Brazilian government!

Your FBI results will accepted only within 3 months of their issue from USA. I was sweating for them to arrive on time!

Sorry cannot help with the last question!
Good luck