Power wheelchairs and mobility scooters

Can anyone there advise me on the practicality of getting around on a either a power wheelchair or mobility scooter? Most countries either have lots of cobblestones or lack of handicapped curbs, or broken sidewalk full of dog poop. Or lots of dirt roads. I'm an independent person but life has become too expensive for me here in Florida. I narrowed my search to Panama, Colombia, Argentina and Brazil. Panama is last on the list and I don't know why. Argentina and Brazil are just about tied. Argentine borders aren't scheduled to reopen until January 2022. My home is up for sale in two weeks and I can't afford to stay here. I'm behind in almost everything. Between pension and SS, i get $2200.
But having to hire hour a cleaning lady and someone to run errands added to rent has more than half of that gone. Drs fees, copays , food and medicine are eating up the rest. I speak some Spanish and can always make myself understood. I'm still at that point that by the time I make out a word or phrase, translate it, the speaker is two sentences ahead of me. I can work on that thru listening to tv and speaking it. Portuguese, not so much.
I can almost read it. It's close to Spanish despite its differences. So my question to you all, if you were a 70 yr old widow, looking for a simpler life, where would you choose and why. I should mention I can walk, just not far. I have a benign condition where when I stand up, my heArt rate doubles, sending my BP crazy high and if I walk it just gets worse. Where I am now, I can order groceries in line and have them delivered. I want to get out and have coffee, pick out vegetables, etc. So, guys, any suggestions? I've been looking at Sao Paulo and Rio.
I don't know anywhere else and what about Dengue in those places? TIA, Karen

07/02/21

Hi, Karen,

It's easy to understand why you're ready for a change.  Still, you're very brave -- good luck to you!

Unfortunately, I can't offer you a lot of good news about Brazil.  This is a wonderful country for living in many ways, but accessibility here usually ranges from poor to non-existent.  Sidewalks, where they exist, generally are poorly maintained.  Curb cutouts are installed sporadically.  Public works in general are better the farther south you go -- São Paulo, Campinas, Curtitiba, Foz do Iguaçu, Florianópolis, Joinville, Blumenau, Porto Alegre -- but south of São Paulo, you'll have to deal with a real Winter every year.  Brasília might be worth researching.  It's well-maintained by Brazilian standards, and relatively flat, unlike most of the other major cities.  Uber operates in all major cities, and is cheap in comparison to the US.  The crime situation is better in the cities I've named than in Rio de Janeiro.

A good private health plan in your age range will probably cost $200 - $250 per month.  Medicare will not cover you here, although you should keep paying your premiums so that you can go back and use it, if necessary, without being hit with penalties.  Insurance does not cover medications; if you can use generics, they're relatively inexpensive here.  SUS, the national health plan, is ok for emergency care, but has long lines and wait times for routine or elective services.  Check with the manufacturer of your mobility device, and of any other equipment necessary to your health, about how you could get it serviced in Brazil.

Brazil is effectively monolingual.  Learning some Portuguese, even with an online service like Duolingo, will pay big dividends. 

To get a rough idea of living costs in different Brazilian cities, or cities anywhere, for that matter, check out www.numbeo.com.  It shouldn't be your only source of information, but it's a useful benchmark.

The best of luck in exploring your options.  Any other questions on Brazil, please hit us up.  :top:

Just my 2 cents here. Argentina is on the brink of economic collapse and definitely would not be an option for me. But this is on the perspective of someone who still needs to find a job to make a living, for a retiree which has his/her funds from overseas actually the worse the economy of a country tanks then the more value of your dollar/euro against local currencies.

But if you want like to choose a country in Latin America to spend your retirement Brazil is not a bad option in terms of healthcare, transportation and facilities for handicapped people. However as retiree I would choose smaller cities and not the main big ones, for quality of life and security reasons I would stay away from Rio or Sao Paulo cities themselves. Brazil has very good and quiet cities outside their capitals, especially in the State of Sao Paulo. I live in Campinas city myself which is medium size city with all the accommodations needed for quality of life (broadband internet, reliable utilities, not a high crime rate, etc).

Welcome, Karen,
Interesting question. I am sure the cost of living would be less in BR, but first, in order to live in BR you have the immigration obstacle.
Unless you have family, meet the requirements of a retirement visa, it is difficult to obtain permanent residence.
SP and Rio are large cities and do have better ADA-type sidewalks, but like many places, you are correct as to deteriorating sidewalks and ramps.
I notice it right away here. Many sidewalks are paving stones with trees planted years ago and now half of the sidewalks are difficult to walk even for normal healthy mobile people.
This site has a good magazine section under the "discover section". You can read articles by ex-pats and where they live. Also, the US State Department has information as to places to live.
Portuguese is a difficult language. You can get by with some Spanish in many places.
I would look at the Brazil Consulate and all countries' sites as to a visa to be able to live and see if you can see if you meet any requirements. 
I am sorry you are in such a time crunch.
Have you looked at other states?

07/02/21

Karen,

If you haven't considered Belize, you owe it to yourself to check it out.  It's inexpensive, welcomes retirees, and is easy to get to for friends and relatives from the US.  It has a British/Afro-Caribbean culture somewhat like Jamaica or Trinidad -- and it's English-speaking.

Karen,
Your letter is clear and detailed, and its a pretty tall order.  YOu sound determined enough to do what it takes to live as best you can.  Heres a few reflections:

I would agree with Abthree about Belize ... there are actually five separate "races" that co mingle and survive together there, the blacks, those of Iberian descent, the chinese of slavery descent, the american expats, and the mennonites of low German descent ....all of them are pretty poor and a little down, so everyone cooperates and gets along pretty well.  Corozal or Orange Walk are a little more gentle than the central city.
But wherever you go, what is going to be most critical is the relationships, friendships, mutual support that you can work out with other people.  You cant make it alone ...but there`s plenty of other people all over who are in similar circumstances as yours and linking up with them for mutual support and community, wherever you find yourself,  is going to make the most difference in your quality of life.
Im actually 70 and technically single myself but different attitudes and resources, I can still get around in a car or on my motorcycle, a five mile walk is not a strain either, and I have a strong romantic relationship and local family connections here in rural Brazil.
Ive been working on Portuguese for years and Im finally making a little headway, we can handle basics and then Google translate handles the rest.  You could definitely fit in in my group home in Maryland, the rent is low and the town tolerates scooters even on the roads, but you would have to make friends with my two tenants living there now before that could happen and they are both a little wary right now, but you would certainly find them to be modest and friendly .....

Hi Karen:
I live in Rio de Janeiro. The weather is wonderful, like ‘normal' Southern California weather.
The sidewalks are cobbbly, broken and hard to navigate. Supermarkets and pharmacies have ramps, but not all other businesses.
There are many outdoor restaurants facing the ocean.
I believe you should research the Covid 19 situation in any country you are considering. Brazil is only about 13% fully vaccinated so we go out less than we did prepanemic.
Would follow Abthree's advice to get an idea of living costs.
Top medical coverage in Rio is expensive, can run up to $700/800 per month.
Good luck in your search.
Paul

Thank you all, everyone, for your generous and wise input. I shall look harder at Panama and Mexico. I might even look at Asia. Thank you all again.

Hi Karen:
I made one mistake in my previous reply.
Top medical coverage in Rio- should read $350/400 per month, per person.
I was quoting the cost for 2 people.
Good luck in your

I have been a few times to Costa Rica on business.
It is the most stable county in Central America and believe many Americans retire there.
Regards,

Paul

@trixiesmom2u 

Hi Karen, 

I hope all is well! I can't speak for the above countries specifically (although I will be traveling to Brazil in the fall). Whenever I go on vacation I try to find a mobility scooter with large wheels. They are called [link moderated]. They work extremely well on dirt roads, cobblestone, gravel, etc. They are pretty heavy duty. The lighter mobility scooters don't work too well with this. They serve a purpose in other ways but if you are going to be using the scooter on uneven terrain you have to go with a 4-wheeler with large wheels. My personal favorite is the EWheels EW-72. If they have those available to rent where I go I try to select that one.

Hope that helps! Safe travels.