Some Visa Extensions Discontinued

OceanBeach92107 wrote:
THIGV wrote:
gobot wrote:

I have never heard of any country expelling all residents who are not working, "cleaning house" of foreigners. And there is no retirement visa.

Not having a retirement visa seems to be a conscious decision of the Vietnamese government, and one that has been pointed out innumerable times on this forum.  Given that other ASEAN countries have such visas means that they are fully aware of the possibility and yet chose to ignore it.  Perhaps they have examined the impact of such visas in the Philippines and Thailand and decided they don't like what they see.  Even spouses of citizens are subject to either 3 or 5 year renewals.  Perhaps they simply feel that the gain from non-working foreigners is not worth the trouble.  We can argue day and night but it is their decision.

Actually, there IS a "retirement" visa here, and in some ways it's better than one of Thailand's options; in other ways, not.

In Thailand, if you deposit 800,000 Thai Baht (todày about $25,550 USD) in a Thai bank, you can get a retirement visa (other options based on income of at least 70,000 THB a month).

But you have to be at least 50 years old.

In Vietnam, you can get an investor TRC for a 3 billion VND (about $130,253.00 USD) in an authorized company's bank.

But there is no low age limit (maybe 18 years old?).

Not an option for someone without assets and on a pension or two, but people such as my upwardly mobile, upper middle-class 40 year old nephew could probably do that easily.

Also, as surprising as it seems to be, some retirees over 65 years old have saved a half million dollars or more for retirement, and they have significant equity in homes on which they have been making mortgage payments for 20 or 30 years.

I'm definitely not saying whether it's a good or bad idea to make that kind of investment.

I think a lot of people here would say it would be crazy to take good money and make a significant investment like that in Vietnam.

But for some people, it's a good option.

Vietnam also has a 1 year investor visa for a smaller amount invested (I forget if it's in the hundreds of millions or billions; Ciambella posted the new amounts a while back)

So certainly not as easy as retiring in Thailand.

Maybe comparable to the Golden Passport in Portugal?

The Thai option seems more feasible, the VN one sounds like a lot of risk. I doubt too many people would want to risk 130k just to get a DT visa. As you said, it is an option.

paulmsn wrote:

Hm, I would have thought that I am liable for the contract.  Still, if I have to leave early, I would make a deal with him, because it's not his fault, either, and he's not likely to be able to rent the apartment quickly with so many expats leaving.

Legally, you are, but most landlords do not force the contract wordings on the tenants in situations that are not within the tenants' control such as sudden change in employment, visa, family tragedy, etc.  I've seen *many* landlords allowing tenants to break contract when they knew the tenants were in a bind. 

I think you should talk to them right now, telling them that you *may* have to leave before a certain date, that you're not the only expat who is hit with this news, and that it's never your plan to break the contract.  Wait to see their reaction before offering the compromise.

Don't wait until you know for certain, do it today.

I think this will all blow over once they actually sit down and think about this ridiculous decision. It may come back to bite them on the arse.

colinoscapee wrote:

I think this will all blow over once they actually sit down and think about this ridiculous decision. It may come back to bite them on the arse.

I'm kind of looking forward to going to Mexico .....maybe run into OB there playing in a Mariachi band😆
Unless your a Movie star or Indian cricketer , getting back into fort Australia could be difficult.

Ontheroad57 wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

I'm kind of looking forward to going to Mexico .....maybe run into OB there playing in a Mariachi band😆
Unless your a Movie star or Indian cricketer , getting back into fort Australia could be difficult.

Get back into Oz, not so hard, leaving again is the problem. My brother recently returned without too many issues.

Ciambella wrote:
paulmsn wrote:

Hm, I would have thought that I am liable for the contract.  Still, if I have to leave early, I would make a deal with him, because it's not his fault, either, and he's not likely to be able to rent the apartment quickly with so many expats leaving.

Legally, you are, but most landlords do not force the contract wordings on the tenants in situations that are not within the tenants' control such as sudden change in employment, visa, family tragedy, etc.  I've seen *many* landlords allowing tenants to break contract when they knew the tenants were in a bind. 

I think you should talk to them right now, telling them that you *may* have to leave before a certain date, that you're not the only expat who is hit with this news, and that it's never your plan to break the contract.  Wait to see their reaction before offering the compromise.

Don't wait until you know for certain, do it today.

Actually, I messaged him when I first found out about this, and after thanking me for telling him, he said if I need any support, please send him a message.  I don't think he's that worried about it.

I am French, living in Vung Tau at the moment. I entered VN before March 2020 with a 3 months tourist (DL) visa that I renewed until now every 3 months (at the beginning) or every month (since November 2020).
My visa agent in Vung Tau told me today that there is no problem for the futures extensions... But I couldn't certify that before watching the stamp on my passport (at the beginning of June).
It woul be interesting to know if someone (in Vung Tau or elsewhere) got a tourist visa extension since the beginning of the week.
Thanks in advance :-)

colinoscapee wrote:
Ontheroad57 wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

Get back into Oz, not so hard, leaving again is the problem. My brother recently returned without too many issues.

Issues.....? You meant toilet tissues.😀

You read the News in Oz today......they're sold out of Toilet Paper again in Melbourne .  It's heading for another lockdown.   
He should have taken a shit load of toilet paper with him from  here......could sell it for a fortune.

On a brighter note.....my agent told me I'm OK for getting further 3 mth extensions on the DN.
So far,  so good.

Ontheroad57 wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:
Ontheroad57 wrote:

Issues.....? You meant toilet tissues.😀

You read the News in Oz today......they're sold out of Toilet Paper again in Melbourne .  It's heading for another lockdown.   
He should have taken a shit load of toilet paper with him from  here......could sell it for a fortune.

On a brighter note.....my agent told me I'm OK for getting further 3 mth extensions on the DN.
So far,  so good.

Two words....bum gun!

I have believed the "borders are closed" for a year. Guess I'm an idiot.

Yesterday downtown met two retired guys from New Zealand, they arrived 5 weeks ago and did the quarantine. Living on high floor in nice tower on the Q4 canal.

"What? Five weeks ago?" I say, astounded.
Business visa. Probably dodgy but they are here. Squeeked in just before latest flareup.
Now their visa agent is getting them 2 year TRCs. Sheesh. So easy.

I'll just stop believing everybody in Clownworld 🤡

gobot wrote:

I have believed the "borders are closed" for a year. Guess I'm an idiot.

Yesterday downtown met two retired guys from New Zealand, they arrived 5 weeks ago and did the quarantine. Living on high floor in nice tower on the Q4 canal.

"What? Five weeks ago?" I say, astounded.
Business visa. Probably dodgy but they are here. Squeeked in just before latest flareup.
Now their visa agent is getting them 2 year TRCs. Sheesh. So easy.

I'll just stop believing everybody in Clownworld 🤡

Those dodgy business visas are part of the reason for the current crackdown. A VN guy was just caught in the North supplying business visas from his three recently registered businesses. If someone is will to pay 4k for a visa,more fool them.

colinoscapee wrote:

Those dodgy business visas are part of the reason for the current crackdown. A VN guy was just caught in the North supplying business visas from his three recently registered businesses. If someone is will to pay 4k for a visa,more fool them.

It is the inscrutable tower-of-power of hierarchical dealmaking. The hidden network of rewards.
Successful expats follow the Five Stages of Transition:

Example: vehicles running red lights

Denial -  "Whoa, that guy just ran a red light. Guess he didn't see it."
Anger - "Holy smokes, look at all those guys. Don't they know there is a law?! Dangerous!"
Bargaining - "Is it normal to drive crazy? Am I a racist? I don't see dead bodies everywhere."
Depression - "I'm leaving. Vietnam is full of morons. And the roosters."
Acceptance - "Let's see, any police? Nope. Ok, when in Rome..."  Runs red light.

There is an update on SNVI's facebook page:

"We would like to announce that :
(+) Hanoi Immigration currently stops accepting tourist visa extension applications.
(+) Saigon Immigration is still accepting tourist visa extensions at the moment (Your last entry was in South Vietnam and you must stay in Saigon at the time).
We will keep you updated if there is any new news."

Now I've been told that Immigration is taking 10 days to process applications, so I won't know if I get an extension until Friday.

paulmsn wrote:

Now I've been told that Immigration is taking 10 days to process applications, so I won't know if I get an extension until Friday.

paulmsn did immigration tell you that when you submitted the request for an extension directly to them or are you about to get screwed over by a money hungry agent? If your using a agent for hundreds of dollars make sure the extension (that's if you get one back) isn't signed by DONALD D. DUCK.
Rick

Same advice that I got.

TC-in-DaNang wrote:

Same advice that I got.

From a agent or immigration?

Rick

Agent. Lynn Visa.

This visa crap is going to come back and bite immigration on the arse.

Vietscam has got a dodgy reputation for a reason.

Nothing surprises me what happens here.....it's a peculiar form of entertainment in a way.

Nothing will change....I feel sorry for the young kids here that are following in the footsteps of fools & corrupt greedy clowns that are running the joint.

Telling it how it is.

Budman1 wrote:
paulmsn wrote:

paulmsn did immigration tell you that when you submitted the request for an extension directly to them or are you about to get screwed over by a money hungry agent? If your using a agent for hundreds of dollars make sure the extension (that's if you get one back) isn't signed by DONALD D. DUCK.
Rick

Everyone has to make a living & every business has to make a profit to cover office rent, salaries etc. I personally dont begrudge my agent one penny of what I have paid them over the nearly 14 years living here & am quite happy to pay them for their services if it saves me the hassle of doing it the DIY rout involving filling in all sorts of paperwork, sitting waiting could be hours in a immigration office in the vane hope that I have done everything right. Who knows what exactly the % cut between agent & immigration anyways?
Far as I am concerned say for example the service they provide of getting the drivers license (copy of UK license) through the agent , all I had to do was show up at the license office & meet the agents rep, all the paperwork was done, all I had to do was sign on the dotted line & get my photo taken, she did all the leg work & after a week the Vietnamese license was delivered to my apartment by Grab. 120usd total as I remember & money well spent & not like 120usd gonna break the bank is it. Nothing against the DIY rout if you'r short, just not for me & many others to save a few bob!

colinoscapee wrote:

I don't know.

There's only two categories of people who are starting to get denied extensions.

First group are tourists who have been here now for 14 months without any sort of border run, and many of them have been getting a free extension without anybody checking up on them.

The people who entered the country before March 1st of 2020 have been paying for extensions.

But again, they are on tourist visas.

There's nothing in the issuing of any of those tourist visas that implies that the country should keep allowing them to stay here forever.

In fact if you follow that link that you shared much earlier in this thread you will see that the wording tells people that they are getting their visas extended for free while they are preparing to leave the country.

So that's been the way it's been since last June when they did the first free extension: always with the implied understanding that people are making a good faith attempt to leave the country.

And according to my agent, immigration will still accept a letter from an embassy if there is a problem allowing that person to re-enter their home country.

As for the second group, including me, while I have felt Justified using the 1-year category DN Business Visa to explore music business opportunities here, you were correct when you first told me a few years ago that I was getting an "illegal visa".

Of course the truth is, when it's issued it's not an illegal Visa.

But 90 days later when you don't have a work permit to go with it,  THEN it's an illegal Visa.

So (in hindsight) the trick has always been to make it through the next 9 months without doing anything illegal, especially illegal employment.

Then I could leave the country after one year and re-enter with a brand new Visa and start the cycle over again.

I think THIGV was also justified to be perturbed with the whole process, since people such as himself had to jump through way more hoops in order to receive a fully justified marriage-based VEC or TRC.

I think the only people who are going to get bit by this are people like me who ran out the clock.

Because the only people really being inconvenienced by this are people in those two groups.

colinoscapee wrote:

Maybe (crazy speculation) this could nudge Vietnam closer to some sort of legal retirement visa?

Who's being hurt the most by this in Vietnam?

I'd say it's landlords.

I don't know that bar owners and store owners and taxi owners and other people who benefit from long-stay visitors have much pull with the government.

But I'm thinking that landlords collectively have more pull.

If enough of them start looking for a collective way to get more people into the country so that they can rent their property and maximize real estate values, well, some sort of legal retirement visa could open the door for that.

I'm also guessing that most of the higher-ups in government are also property owners.

And those people are much smarter than I am.

I still believe that Vietnam doesn't feel it has any reason to be opening up for too many more foreigners, but when enough Property Owners start to see that their investments are incapable of turning a profit...

OceanBeach92107 wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

Maybe (crazy speculation) this could nudge Vietnam closer to some sort of legal retirement visa?

I'd say it's landlords.

I don't know that bar owners and store owners and taxi owners and other people who benefit from long-stay visitors have much pull with the government.

If enough of them start looking for a collective way to get more people into the country so that they can rent their property and maximize real estate values, well, some sort of legal retirement visa could open the door for that.

I'm also guessing that most of the higher-ups in government are also property owners.

I still believe that Vietnam doesn't feel it has any reason to be opening up for too many more foreigners, but when enough Property Owners start to see that their investments are incapable of turning a profit...

The visa problems go way,way back. Its not just the latest ruling, its many of the past rulings. Vietnam has a very low return rate for good reason. Will they ever learn, nope,I doubt it. Those crispy Uncle Ho's are the only incentive that drives most in this county. Just like my greedy landlady, she feels a 30% rent increase is valid, yet she will wait 3-6 months to obtain it and in the mean time will lose 50 million. Thats VN logic.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

I'd say it's landlords.

Thing is.....................is it down to Foreigners driving the rental market I wonder? From what I see here at Celadon City (as up market as it gets in Tan Phu) there are at very very best I would recon 30 foreigners living here out of in excess of 5,000 Vietnamese families & they are not all buyers they are predominantly renters from what I can gather. There is a steadily increasing workforce here that might not have the money to buy but have the money to rent. Average rental 65 to 75 m2, 2 bed 2 wc no furniture apartment is 10,000 million & I dont see many empty ones.

goodolboy wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:
colinoscapee wrote:

I'd say it's landlords.

Thing is.....................is it down to Foreigners driving the rental market I wonder? From what I see here at Celadon City (as up market as it gets in Tan Phu) there are at very very best I would recon 30 foreigners living here out of in excess of 5,000 Vietnamese families & they are not all buyers they are predominantly renters from what I can gather. There is a steadily increasing workforce here that might not have the money to buy but have the money to rent. Average rental 65 to 75 m2, 2 bed 2 wc no furniture apartment is 10,000 million & I dont see many empty ones.

Sure, no doubt.

I can't cut too wide of a swath with this argument.

But in certain areas such as Danang and Hoi An and Nha Trang and other places where the foreigner population is more significant, things may start to get just a bit too difficult for landlords to keep their properties occupied.

You are far more knowledgeable than me in areas of Real Estate.

I'm just going with what seems to be logical on the surface.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:
goodolboy wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

I'd say it's landlords.

Sure, no doubt.

I can't cut too wide of a swath with this argument.

But in certain areas such as Danang and Hoi An and Nha Trang and other places where the foreigner population is more significant, things may start to get just a bit too difficult for landlords to keep their properties occupied.

You are far more knowledgeable than me in areas of Real Estate.

I'm just going with what seems to be logical on the surface.

Ah right enough I was not looking at the big picture right enough just HCMC & probably Ha Noi too.

sorry to interrupt you guys, anyone use before the service from Visavoa

IvanSng wrote:

sorry to interrupt you guys, anyone use before the service from Visavoa

If you mean
vietnamvisavoaDOTcom, yes, that's my agent

Budman1 wrote:

Rick

I am using a reputable agent who told me this, and their fee for a one-month visa is $115.  I'd rather I didn't have to pay for this at all, but I don't think it is an unreasonable fee.

As far as I know, you can't go directly to Immigration for this -- they told me for the first one last year to go to an agent.

Back in September 2019, the VN Express reported information from DOLISA that there were 83,500 expats in the country.  Expat numbers 2019   Presumably that figure is down some now as there have been some departures and only rare entrants for the last 12-15 months.  I expect that figure does not include persons on tourist visas but it probably does include all those on business visas.  Now using a SWAG (Scientific Wild A** Guess) lets say that 50% of those are English teachers who either have or could have work permits.  An overlapping 50% are married to Vietnamese citizens hence totaling 75%.  A remaining 25% are on legitimate work related business visas, typically in the oil industry or as management with multi-national companies.  Again this group overlaps with the married cohort.  The remaining segment may actually be rather small.  It may be that those who are residing in Vietnam without marriage and without employment are only about 5% of the original number.  That would equate to about 4000 persons whose primary contribution is spending some $1000-5000 US in pension funds in the country monthly.  The impact of these governmental actions may seem massive to the individuals affected, and even perhaps their landlords and some restaurants and bars they frequent.  However, I am sorry to say that it is not much in an economy of  96 million persons.

THIGV wrote:

Back in September 2019, the VN Express reported information from DOLISA that there were 83,500 expats in the country.  Expat numbers 2019   Presumably that figure is down some now as there have been some departures and only rare entrants for the last 12-15 months.  I expect that figure does not include persons on tourist visas but it probably does include all those on business visas.  Now using a SWAG (Scientific Wild A** Guess) lets say that 50% of those are English teachers who either have or could have work permits.  An overlapping 50% are married to Vietnamese citizens hence totaling 75%.  A remaining 25% are on legitimate work related business visas, typically in the oil industry or as management with multi-national companies.  Again this group overlaps with the married cohort.  The remaining segment may actually be rather small.  It may be that those who are residing in Vietnam without marriage and without employment are only about 5% of the original number.  That would equate to about 4000 persons whose primary contribution is spending some $1000-5000 US in pension funds in the country monthly.  The impact of these governmental actions may seem massive to the individuals affected, and even perhaps their landlords and some restaurants and bars they frequent.  However, I am sorry to say that it is not much in an economy of  96 million persons.

If they had a better system in place this wouldnt be an issue. All the dodgy deals that go on with agents and officials needs to be cleaned up. Most countries adjust their visa systems every so often, in Vietnam it seems to be a monthly occurence.

Put a better system in place and minimise the problems. Illegal Chinese workers are the major issue here.

colinoscapee wrote:
THIGV wrote:

If they had a better system in place this wouldnt be an issue. All the dodgy deals that go on with agents and officials needs to be cleaned up. Most countries adjust their visa systems every so often, in Vietnam it seems to be a monthly occurence.

Put a better system in place and minimise the problems. Illegal Chinese workers are the major issue here.

How discriminatory is that???

😁😁😁

THIGV wrote:

Yet in Thailand, until a recent crackdown, a lot of expats lived there, sometimes for decades, without getting a retirement visa. As far as I know, they did their "visa runs" every 3 months, and that seemed cheaper and/or easier. A lot of expats don't have enough income or savings to get one.

I agree, a retirement visa would certainly reduce the number of illegals, the question is by how much.

I received a one-month visa extension, but the agent warns,

"the Immi controls strictly now so im not sure if they will agree to extend visa for you next time. If you are working here, you should do work permit ASAP to make sure that can stay here longer. Otherwise, must leave VN soon".

So I have to find out if there is any chance I can persuade Immigration to let me stay longer.  If no, then I need to start packing things up.

paulmsn wrote:

"the Immi controls strictly now so im not sure if they will agree to extend visa for you next time. If you are working here, you should do work permit ASAP to make sure that can stay here longer. Otherwise, must leave VN soon".

So I have to find out if there is any chance I can persuade Immigration to let me stay longer.  If no, then I need to start packing things up.

Im sure if you pushed the agent a bit to find a way, then a outcome will be found with the outlay of some nice crisp notes.

This is her view of Immigration's stance, and that's it.  There is nothing to indicate that they want money from me.  It's OK to be cynical, but cynicism without any basis is not credible.

I asked her for more info about Immigration, but it was past closing time, so I received no response.

paulmsn wrote:

This is her view of Immigration's stance, and that's it.  There is nothing to indicate that they want money from me.  It's OK to be cynical, but cynicism without any basis is not credible.

I asked her for more info about Immigration, but it was past closing time, so I received no response.

My cynicism comes from 14 years of doing visas and the fact a friend of mine has been doing visas for expats for the last 18 years. Lets wait and see what coffee money comes into play.

Laurent futur Nha Trang wrote:

I am French, living in Vung Tau at the moment. I entered VN before March 2020 with a 3 months tourist (DL) visa that I renewed until now every 3 months (at the beginning) or every month (since November 2020).
My visa agent in Vung Tau told me today that there is no problem for the futures extensions... But I couldn't certify that before watching the stamp on my passport (at the beginning of June).
It woul be interesting to know if someone (in Vung Tau or elsewhere) got a tourist visa extension since the beginning of the week.
Thanks in advance :-)

Today, I got one more one-month tourist visa extension from my visa agent in Vung Tau. Same price.

paulmsn wrote:

In which place do you live please ? Tourist visa ? Did you enter Vietnam before or after 1st March 2020 ?