Some Visa Extensions Discontinued

johnross23 wrote:

Under normal circumstances, this would absolutely not be a very big deal as people would simply be able to get their stuff together and pop over to their favorite neighboring country in ASEAN quite easily.  :top:

Unfortunately, that's not the case now. See Ocean Beach's post #30 in this thread about getting into Thailand for an example. AFAIK, Cambodia's and Indonesia's current requirements are quite similar. Not sure what's up with the Philippines. Anyway, this is what is causing people to panic, not so much the getting-expelled-from-Vietnam part. You can't just jump on a plane these days.  :cool:

I saw on social media recently a company offering 'complete' relocation service to Thailand, including support with Visas, transport from airport, apartment, driving licence...and if you are German, as an added bonus enjoying schnitzel at their restaurant:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w9kj3r1zs0htx4q/Thailand-relocate-fb-ad.jpg?raw=1

No clue if it's legit or not.

THIGV wrote:

I didn't see the original comment that you referenced but people should think twice about Mexico.  COVID is at Level 3 of the CDC's four level system.  By contrast, Vietnam is Level 1, of course that's if you can find a way to enter.  Mexico may be open and you can enter without either tests or vaccination but you may not come back to the US quite that easily.  If you are planning to transit through the US, it would probably be best to take a month and get vaccinated first.  Major cites may be a lot worse than resort towns where expats may be going, but it's still a crap shoot if you aren't vaccinated.

OTR57 discusses some options in post #84

Ontheroad57 wrote:

Bali is opening “soon” as well.  Their vaccination programme is apparently going to plan for the island.
They have a retirement Visa for $800 PA.   
I go there on Visa runs , I like it , but too many Australians.😆😆😆

Got friends in Thailand & Mexico as well.   Thailand is getting desperate.....we'll be seeing relaxed  Visa programmes coming since the days of regular scheduled Travel are long gone.   
Thailand have started Tourist arrivals in Phuket.....so far , as of yesterday only 20 customers have booked till July 9th.   Only  F*+kin 20......they're budgeted for 2500 per day in the “soft” opening period.

They're hoping for several MILLION tourists by Christmas. 😳😳

Mexico has the best option.  NO quarantine, No PCR test & 6 months visa for $40.   Provided you stick to the safe regions...Puerto Vallarta , Playa del Carmen, etc you'll be good.   Great weather , reasonable cost of living & with a $5 ladder you can climb the wall into US & A as borat would say. 😆

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

To quote my visa agent:

"It is said that automatic extension is ended this month and that all foreigners must find a way to leave Vietnam".

I wouldn't trust this agent with the shirt on my back, since the automatic extension has been extended until 30 June.

Didn't she say the same last year and you relayed the news to us?

Danger is if we don't believe her, next time it may be true. Remember the story about the boy who cried wolf

HenryJo wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

To quote my visa agent:

"It is said that automatic extension is ended this month and that all foreigners must find a way to leave Vietnam".

I wouldn't trust this agent with the shirt on my back, since the automatic extension has been extended until 30 June.

Danger is if we don't believe her, next time it may be true. Remember the story about the boy who cried wolf

My agency also says this on their web site, and they also say that they can do extensions if you get a residence registration letter.  So maybe I can get another month.

"June 5 at 10:23 AM
We can assist to extend tourist visa for foreigners both in the South and the North.
You need to get residence registration letter from where you are staying. And submit your passport along with the residence registration letter for visa extension."

paulmsn wrote:
HenryJo wrote:
OceanBeach92107 wrote:

To quote my visa agent:

My agency also says this on their web site, and they also say that they can do extensions if you get a residence registration letter.  So maybe I can get another month.

"June 5 at 10:23 AM
We can assist to extend tourist visa for foreigners both in the South and the North.
You need to get residence registration letter from where you are staying. And submit your passport along with the residence registration letter for visa extension."

everyone is suppose to have a residents registration letter anyways, even Vietnamese............right?

The agent confirms that I can apply for another one-month visa, but advises that I check back with them near the end of the month for any updates.  Good news for me.

goodolboy wrote:

everyone is suppose to have a residents registration letter anyways, even Vietnamese............right?

I've never needed one before for a visa extension.  I asked my landlord if I get it from him or from the apartment managers, because I don't know.

paulmsn wrote:
goodolboy wrote:

I've never needed one before for a visa extension.  I asked my landlord if I get it from him or from the apartment managers, because I don't know.

visa extension or not as far as I know anyways everyone is supposed to have one when living here. Its up to your landlord to do it. I am registered online & recently moved to a new place & my GF still had to go with my new landlady with my PP etc to the local "police place" to register my move & same for her too.

goodolboy wrote:

Everyone has to register including Vietnamese who live away from their homes (their family book).  Asking for a copy of the registration, however, is not something most people do even though it doesn't cost them a thing (probably because as paulmsn said, they thought they didn't need it.  As the saying goes, everything was fine until it wasn't.) 

The landlord received a copy when he registered you, but it's up to you (not you, goodolboy) to tell him at the time of registration that you must have a copy *with wet signature* for your record.  It's not different from asking for a receipt of your hotel bill.

goodolboy wrote:
paulmsn wrote:
goodolboy wrote:

visa extension or not as far as I know anyways everyone is supposed to have one when living here. Its up to your landlord to do it. I am registered online & recently moved to a new place & my GF still had to go with my new landlady with my PP etc to the local "police place" to register my move & same for her too.

Yes, I know about registration and have been registered at every place I've lived, but I never needed a registration letter for Immigration.

paulmsn wrote:

Yes, I know about registration and have been registered at every place I've lived, but I never needed a registration letter for Immigration.

It sounds like they may be looking for a document called Phiếu Khai Bao Tạm Trú or Mau N12.  The form translates the title as "Registration Card of Stay" but Google says "Temporary Residence Declaration Form."  The form is bilingual.  You fill it out and take it to the local police for verification (the infamous red stamp) and drop off 35-50K VND.  I know my wife always paid a small fee for this but it may have been a legitimate charge.  This document used to be required for renewal of a VEC 90 day stay, back when they could be renewed without a border run.  I no longer have the link but you should be able to find a downloadable version of the form. 

Note for those who are critical of the fact that I no longer reside in Vietnam:  This information was provided in good faith and of course is subject to correction and updating.  :cheers:

THIGV wrote:

It sounds like they may be looking for a document called Phiếu Khai Bao Tạm Trú or Mau N12.  The form translates the title as "Registration Card of Stay" but Google says "Temporary Residence Declaration Form."  The form is bilingual.  You fill it out and take it to the local police for verification (the infamous red stamp) and drop off 35-50K VND.

At least in An Phu my wife used to have to pay 500,000 coffee money for mine.  Not every time but maybe every other.

SteinNebraska wrote:

At least in An Phu my wife used to have to pay 500,000 coffee money for mine.  Not every time but maybe every other.

I thought at first that creeping senility had made me off by a factor of 10, but then I realized that my wife would have gone apoplectic about the idea of forking over 1/2 a million to the local police for anything, let alone this old bag of bones.  :huh:

THIGV wrote:

It sounds like they may be looking for a document called Phiếu Khai Bao Tạm Trú or Mau N12.  The form translates the title as "Registration Card of Stay" but Google says "Temporary Residence Declaration Form."  The form is bilingual.  You fill it out and take it to the local police for verification (the infamous red stamp) and drop off 35-50K VND.  I know my wife always paid a small fee for this but it may have been a legitimate charge.  This document used to be required for renewal of a VEC 90 day stay, back when they could be renewed without a border run.  I no longer have the link but you should be able to find a downloadable version of the form. 

Note for those who are critical of the fact that I no longer reside in Vietnam:  This information was provided in good faith and of course is subject to correction and updating.  :cheers:

I talked to my agent and they just want any kind of proof of residence, and it doesn't have to be a hard copy.  My landlord registered me online for the coming month of July and sent me a pic of the printout, and that will be sufficient, apparently.  It has my address and apartment number and "danh sách khách đang tạm trú", with my name, date of birth, nationality, passport number, arrival date of the day before and  "ngày đi DK" (departure date?) of 31/07/2021.

THIGV wrote:

...You fill it out and take it to the local police for verification (the infamous red stamp) and drop off 35-50K VND.  I know my wife always paid a small fee for this but it may have been a legitimate charge.  This document used to be required for renewal of a VEC 90 day stay, back when they could be renewed without a border run.  I no longer have the link but you should be able to find a downloadable version of the form.

Don't suppose she got a receipt?

You've started to add a disclaimer to your posts. :joking:

HenryJo wrote:
THIGV wrote:

Only for the benefit of a few individuals who regularly object.  Of course on a forum like this one, anyone is free to take anything any way they choose, regardless of where the poster resides.  There are a few individuals who reside in Vietnam, whose advice and observations I would never take too seriously.  :top:

THIGV wrote:
HenryJo wrote:
THIGV wrote:

Only for the benefit of a few individuals who regularly object.  Of course on a forum like this one, anyone is free to take anything any way they choose, regardless of where the poster resides.  There are a few individuals who reside in Vietnam, whose advice and observations I would never take too seriously.  :top:

You have to live it to know it.......never believe all you see on the internet as good up to date advice on a country you have not lived in for years. There are those that live in a Vietnam dream world & those that live in the Vietnam real world. I certainly would not take as gospel anything someone says about a country, its laws, its customs etc & given from someone who does not even live there.

I probably missed it somewhere….but did OB move back to the US permanently?

Diazo wrote:

I probably missed it somewhere….but did OB move back to the US permanently?

I doubt that it is permanent but he did leave Vietnam.  OB Departure thread

No…just another coffee fund. But hey, it is how it is done here. We pay everyone where I live just to get along and have piece in the family. From the teacher to the doc.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:
THIGV wrote:
gobot wrote:

I have never heard of any country expelling all residents who are not working, "cleaning house" of foreigners. And there is no retirement visa.

Not having a retirement visa seems to be a conscious decision of the Vietnamese government, and one that has been pointed out innumerable times on this forum.  Given that other ASEAN countries have such visas means that they are fully aware of the possibility and yet chose to ignore it.  Perhaps they have examined the impact of such visas in the Philippines and Thailand and decided they don't like what they see.  Even spouses of citizens are subject to either 3 or 5 year renewals.  Perhaps they simply feel that the gain from non-working foreigners is not worth the trouble.  We can argue day and night but it is their decision.

Actually, there IS a "retirement" visa here, and in some ways it's better than one of Thailand's options; in other ways, not.

In Thailand, if you deposit 800,000 Thai Baht (todày about $25,550 USD) in a Thai bank, you can get a retirement visa (other options based on income of at least 70,000 THB a month).

But you have to be at least 50 years old.

In Vietnam, you can get an investor TRC for a 3 billion VND (about $130,253.00 USD) in an authorized company's bank.

But there is no low age limit (maybe 18 years old?).

Not an option for someone without assets and on a pension or two, but people such as my upwardly mobile, upper middle-class 40 year old nephew could probably do that easily.

Also, as surprising as it seems to be, some retirees over 65 years old have saved a half million dollars or more for retirement, and they have significant equity in homes on which they have been making mortgage payments for 20 or 30 years.

I'm definitely not saying whether it's a good or bad idea to make that kind of investment.

I think a lot of people here would say it would be crazy to take good money and make a significant investment like that in Vietnam.

But for some people, it's a good option.

Vietnam also has a 1 year investor visa for a smaller amount invested (I forget if it's in the hundreds of millions or billions; Ciambella posted the new amounts a while back)

So certainly not as easy as retiring in Thailand.

Maybe comparable to the Golden Passport in Portugal?

Lots of people are on "student visas" in Thailand.
You can change your course of study every few years  with a wide  a range of subjects from Thai Language, Culture, Buddhism, Thai Boxing etc ...   Enough for anyone to study till they hit 50 years old n can switch to the Thai Retirement Visa ..
Of cos you can switch to the Thai Elite Visa anytime too.
This one has no age limit, is valid for 5 years n u will be treated like royalty ...

The other thing is that you can use the full range of banking services as a foreigner while in TL
There is 90 day reporting but this can be done online n its ok to be late for up to a week ..

The story has made it to the local news:

Expats fret as Vietnam tightens visa policies

Many foreigners are stressed over the uncertainty of their present and future in Vietnam, especially during pandemic times, if visa policies are tightened.
Over the past month, Olivia Taylor (name changed), an Australian residing in Ho Chi Minh City (HCMC), has been living in "a state of nervousness."

She's been informed that authorities were going to stop renewing both tourist visa and business visa extensions.

Taylor, who has a tourist visa, has been waiting for Vietnam's borders, closed over Covid-19, to open up for everyone. She has been in Vietnam for nearly two years and works as an English teacher. She is not planning to return to Australia because it will be expensive for her to stay in quarantine there (more than $2,300). Furthermore, she loves being in Vietnam, where she has felt safe during the pandemic, and wishes "to be part of" the life here.

So she asked her school where she teaches to apply for a work permit which would cost her around $1,000. Taylor has 10 days left, "but I still don't know if my application will be accepted or not. I hope that everything will work out for me."

Story continues (with comment section at the bottom):

https://e.vnexpress.net/news/news/expat … 90502.html

johnross23 wrote:

The story has made it to the local news:

Expats fret as Vietnam tightens visa policies

Many foreigners are stressed over the uncertainty of their present and future in Vietnam, especially during pandemic times, if visa policies are tightened.
Over the past month, Olivia Taylor (name changed), an Australian residing in Ho Chi Minh City (HCMC), has been living in "a state of nervousness."

She's been informed that authorities were going to stop renewing both tourist visa and business visa extensions.

Taylor, who has a tourist visa, has been waiting for Vietnam's borders, closed over Covid-19, to open up for everyone. She has been in Vietnam for nearly two years and works as an English teacher. She is not planning to return to Australia because it will be expensive for her to stay in quarantine there (more than $2,300). Furthermore, she loves being in Vietnam, where she has felt safe during the pandemic, and wishes "to be part of" the life here.

So she asked her school where she teaches to apply for a work permit which would cost her around $1,000. Taylor has 10 days left, "but I still don't know if my application will be accepted or not. I hope that everything will work out for me."

Story continues (with comment section at the bottom):

https://e.vnexpress.net/news/news/expat … 90502.html

How come the headline is in bold?

Especially since it doesn't match what is said in the first paragraph. I.e. '...if visa policies are tightened.'.

HenryJo wrote:

Especially since it doesn't match what is said in the first paragraph. I.e. '...if visa policies are tightened.'.

Headlines are usually in bold, and if you actually go to the linked article, you will see that the "...if visa policies..." text is within an italicized synopsis of the situation, not part of a paragraph in the story. 

They did indeed tighten policies, before loosening them a bit, but the synopsis holds -- we are stressed.

paulmsn wrote:
HenryJo wrote:

Headlines are usually in bold, and if you actually go to the linked article, you will see that the "...if visa policies..." text is within an italicized synopsis of the situation, not part of a paragraph in the story. 

They did indeed tighten policies, before loosening them a bit, but the synopsis holds -- we are stressed.

I did go to the linked article - always read the original ariticle.

BTW, are you sure you read it? There's nothing in italics.

Also, not disputing that we are stressed. Just commenting on how the article is written. Headline should say something like 'Expats fret due to uncertain Vietnam visa polices'.... or something to that effect.

I was just told by my agent that they will be able to renew my extension for one month, and that I should bring my passport in next week.  Only two more months needed after that -- things might work out, although construction on my friend's house stopped, so there is a chance it might not be ready for me to move my stuff in at the end of September.

HenryJo wrote:
paulmsn wrote:
HenryJo wrote:

Also, not disputing that we are stressed. Just commenting on how the article is written. Headline should say something like 'Expats fret due to uncertain Vietnam visa polices'.... or something to that effect.

You should lodge your concerns with the news service.

colinoscapee wrote:
HenryJo wrote:
paulmsn wrote:

You should lodge your concerns with the news service.

Did comment on article on the site telling them headline was 'sensationalist'. Guess what? Comment was never approved, so it never appeared. Seems the news outlet is not big on constructive criticism or could be that they're big on censorship. Ironic!

paulmsn wrote:
HenryJo wrote:

Can you tell us specifically which policies were tightened, when it happened, which policies were loosened and when that was?

Looking too hard for a left-brained description and explanation of immigration policies can be dangerous to your health...

HenryJo wrote:

Can you tell us specifically which policies were tightened, when it happened, which policies were loosened and when that was?

Immigration told visa agents in May that they would no longer offer the free monthly visa extension for those entering after 01/03/2020 and that they might not extend both questionable work visas and tourist visas.  I got this from my own agent, but others reported it from their agents, too.  I believe it was mentioned in news articles, but not as an announcement to the public.  Then about a week later they automatically extended visas to 30/06/2021 for those entering after 01/03/2020 and they extended my tourist visa, also.  I don't know what happened with work visas.  Maybe others can say.

paulmsn wrote:
HenryJo wrote:

Immigration told visa agents in May that they would no longer offer the free monthly visa extension for those entering after 01/03/2020 and that they might not extend both questionable work visas and tourist visas.  I got this from my own agent, but others reported it from their agents, too.  I believe it was mentioned in news articles, but not as an announcement to the public.  Then about a week later they automatically extended visas to 30/06/2021 for those entering after 01/03/2020 and they extended my tourist visa, also.  I don't know what happened with work visas.  Maybe others can say.

Something I didn't mention in my OP, because I didn't want to cause more confusion: she did say it was "possible" that immigration "might" relax the new restrictions AFTER the election, but of course, I couldn't wait and count on that slim chance with my visa expiration date so soon then in the future.

OceanBeach92107 wrote:

Looking too hard for a left-brained description and explanation of immigration policies can be dangerous to your health...

With this post you've proved the causal link between IBS and 'Looking too hard for a left-brained description and explanation'.  ;)  Expert medics have been scratching their head for years.

Forget medical experts we should come to you for pearls of wisdom.

I brought my passport in to my agent this morning to get a one-month visa extension.  She told me that 15 minutes before, Ho Chi Minh City Immigration had told them that they would no longer approve tourist visa extensions. 

She took my passport anyway, and told me that she would appeal to Immigration, and if they say no, she would try Hanoi Immigration, but she didn't seem hopeful and she warned me that if Hanoi also said no, they would require me to leave the country.  She didn't say how long they would give me. 

It is notable that she didn't even ask for the money I had in hand to pay for the extension.

paulmsn wrote:

I brought my passport in to my agent this morning to get a one-month visa extension.  She told me that 15 minutes before, Ho Chi Minh City Immigration had told them that they would no longer approve tourist visa extensions. 

She took my passport anyway, and told me that she would appeal to Immigration, and if they say no, she would try Hanoi Immigration, but she didn't seem hopeful and she warned me that if Hanoi also said no, they would require me to leave the country.

Please keep us posted.  <crossing fingers for you>

paulmsn wrote:

She took my passport anyway, and told me that she would appeal to Immigration, and if they say no, she would try Hanoi Immigration, but she didn't seem hopeful and she warned me that if Hanoi also said no, they would require me to leave the country.  She didn't say how long they would give me. 

It is notable that she didn't even ask for the money I had in hand to pay for the extension.

Do you use social media (Facebook)?

If yes, apply to join vung tau expats (I think there are two groups or maybe more). I noticed an influx of ads from visa agents this morning.

Not saying your agent can't pull through, but if she says 'cannot', maybe you can try these other agents. again, not saying they can do it definitely (I don't know). Just a suggestion. Don't shoot the messenger.

P s. I assume there are similar groups called 'ho chi minh expats'. Suppose you can join and trawl the ads on there too.

Ciambella wrote:

She checked with HCMC Immigration and they have definitely cut off tourist visa extensions for an indefinite period of time.  They just stopped.

She will check with Immigration again tomorrow (because as we all know, they change their minds often) and then will try to get me one from Hanoi if the situation is the same.  She suggested first that I contact my previous Hanoi agent, but they went out of business.

I asked her several times, but haven't got an answer on whether there would be a grace period if I fail to get an extension.  Because of that, I have to start packing today as if I have to leave before my visa expiration.  There's a flight I can take Saturday, so I have three days.  And a lot of stuff.

The agent just contacted me that HCMC Immigration changed their minds again.  They will resume processing visa extensions, so it looks like I will get one more month.  I had just started packing -- I think I will start getting rid of stuff I don't need, because this is likely to happen next month, I think.

paulmsn wrote:
Ciambella wrote:

She checked with HCMC Immigration and they have definitely cut off tourist visa extensions for an indefinite period of time.  They just stopped.

She will check with Immigration again tomorrow (because as we all know, they change their minds often) and then will try to get me one from Hanoi if the situation is the same.  She suggested first that I contact my previous Hanoi agent, but they went out of business.

I asked her several times, but haven't got an answer on whether there would be a grace period if I fail to get an extension.  Because of that, I have to start packing today as if I have to leave before my visa expiration.  There's a flight I can take Saturday, so I have three days.  And a lot of stuff.

These are tough times.

By the way, the agent gave me a warning about dealing with Hanoi Immigration:

"we also can send your passport to HN immigration to extend, but the problem is they sometimes review applicants (not for all)=>they refused to give visa extension and ask them to leave VN, we can't make sure 100% if it will happen with you or not".

Apparently HCMC either processes extensions or they don't, but Hanoi is more picky and could throw you out of the country.

Ontheroad57 wrote:

All of this debacle reinforces my theory that in Vietnam Never buy anything that won?t fit in a suitcase. ?

Just buy an old bike to get around on & basic essentials....since you never know how long your tenure will be.

Self funded retirees who don?t see the need to Marry anyone or teach English really don?t belong here.    Other countries have retirement Visa for them , which is my next move.

If this bail out does eventuate , the only foreigners left in Nha Trang will be broke destitute Russians & former Soviet Bloc euro trash.   A lot of them don?t have visas (no money) and report to Police every week for a checkin.   They?re stealing bikes, shop lifting , drug dealing etc....One house has 26 Ruskys living in it like rats.

The only good thing about that is ,,they?ve dragged down the rental market to ridiculous low prices.    Beach front 2 bedroom apartments going for 3 mill .   Thousands of them still empty ,,,can?t sell them & nobody will lease them.

The place is becoming  ? skid row? for destitutes from poor regions .

It?s a sad scene....and unfortunately the best days of Nha Trang are behind it.   
Maybe time to look at new horizons.

does this only apply to Nha Trang, or Da Nang, Vung Tau, etc?