Grade 5 level live in tutor

Hi, I have applied for a position with the Red Cross and if I am lucky enough to be the incumbent for this role my 10 year old son and I will be heading across to Nairobi this coming October. I'm not sure whether to enrole him in one of the international schools or to have him tutored. I was thinking of registering for home schooling here before leaving so as I could bring all the necessary collateral across with me for the tutor to work with during the 12 months we would be in Nairobi. That way he should be able to slot back into the Australian school system late 2012 without too many issues. 

What are your thoughts? I'm sure that I am not the only one that has thought about doing this.... so if you have, and you have come out the other side of the process could you let me know how it went or is going for you?

Thanks, I look forward to your feedback.

Cheers!

Hi bevlee,

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

I hope you get some feedback from other members very soon.

I wish you good luck
Christine

The International Schools in Kenya mainly follow the British or US curriculum.  Other posts on this site also indicate that the best ones are difficult to get into.

I don't know how easy it would be to find a competent teacher, once you are in country.  However, this method would be by far the cheapest option - the international schools are costly (unless your employer pays).

Thank you, yes I have researched the international schools in Nairobi and they are quite expensive aren't they, almost three times the cost of the private school my son is attending here in Australia which was a bit of a shock!  I have noticed that there are a few businesses providing the services of tutors so perhaps this is the way to go?

International schools here in Kenya are way to expensive. Unless your earning the big $$$ school fees will always be an issue. As for private tutoring there is nothing wrong with that. You have various centers like Kumon for math and english, the cultural centers for foreign languages and private tutors to come and teach your son various topics as per syllabus guides. If you need any more info just PM me and I'll help you the best I can.

I teach English & Literature in an International School here in Kenya. I graduated with an Honours degree in Education from Egerton University ( a leading University in Kenya)

We can arrange for private tution for your son and I am willing to help you get the best for your son and enjoy your stay in Kenya.
please feel free to reach me on [email protected]

Regards,
Philip.