What Paperwork Do I Need Upon Arrival As An American?

Hello,

I am planning to relocate to Cape Verde, and I am wondering which documents I need upon arrival to get my residence permit?

I heard something about a police statement from my country, but I have lived all over the world and I have never had to get this and don't even know what it IS.

Can someone advise on this and if it is possible to get it while overseas and not in The States?

Hi Triston,

Hopefully you will find someone else to help who is as well versed on this subject. Good luck!

Best regards,

Angelo

Triston wrote:

Hello,

I am planning to relocate to Cape Verde, and I am wondering which documents I need upon arrival to get my residence permit?

I heard something about a police statement from my country, but I have lived all over the world and I have never had to get this and don't even know what it IS.

Can someone advise on this and if it is possible to get it while overseas and not in The States?

That's an interesting question.
I would think that your visa and passport would answer it.
I'm also relocating to Cabo Verde.

Yes, let's find someone well versed in this particular matter as Angelo has suggested.

#DeColonizeTheMind

Hi George,

I've already been in touch with Triston. I provided him with links to the things he requires, but the list of documents is extensive, and the ones to obtain in the US when you're not there is a little tricky (or you can get around the document once you know why they ask for it). I also offered to do the work for him. But I'm not sure he wants my help. This is why I wished him luck in finding someone else who is as knowledgable about the subject of CV entry and residency visas including all the docs required and how to get them, as I am.

You and I have only discussed the subject of business and investments here on the forum, but we have never had the need to discuss the issue of visas as you don't need a residency visa. I have helped many expats with this.

Cheers,

Angelo

Geder wrote:

That's an interesting question.
I would think that your visa and passport would answer it.
I'm also relocating to Cabo Verde.

Yes, let's find someone well versed in this particular matter as Angelo has suggested.

#DeColonizeTheMind

Hi Angelo,

Got it!

(I was just sticking my nose...  :lol: )

On a serious note, I just received my 2nd COVID vaccine shot! Yay, Yay!

How is Cabo Verde handling the pandemic?
I heard the COVID numbers are rising on the islands.

We are continuing to downsize, declutter, sell, and get rid of stuff.
With eyes wide open, we are going forward with our plans to get to Cabo Verde.

And to others reading this; you got to do your homework and listen to the experts when they give free advice.
Make sure repatriating to Cabo Verde is RIGHT for you before you buy your plane ticket!

#DeColonizeTheMind

Olá George!

(I was just sticking my nose...  :lol: ) LOL. My friend, noses are for sticking into stuff so that people have a higher likelihood of being helped.

On a serious note, I just received my 2nd COVID vaccine shot! Yay, Yay! How is Cabo Verde handling the pandemic? I heard the COVID numbers are rising on the islands. Good for you. Hope you do not suffer more than the typical vaccine reactions. It certainly gives you more flexibility as well as greater protection.

CV has always had an elevated level of infections and it has increased recently, however you need to keep in mind that 75% of the population is under 40 years old, so there has been very little suffering. There also have been just under 200 total deaths (unfortunately more than zero, the vast majority whom have been very aged or were people with other serious co-morbidities.

We've just started a program of vaccinations but it will be a while before a majoriy of the population has received their shots.

Notwithstanding, the borders have been open since last summer (requiring only a negative PCR test within 72 hours of arrival). Masks are required in public (indoors or outdoors). However, you don't have to wear a mask at the beaches which are open.

Cheers,

Angelo

Geder wrote:

Hi Angelo,

Got it!

(I was just sticking my nose...  :lol: )

On a serious note, I just received my 2nd COVID vaccine shot! Yay, Yay!

How is Cabo Verde handling the pandemic?
I heard the COVID numbers are rising on the islands.

We are continuing to downsize, declutter, sell, and get rid of stuff.
With eyes wide open, we are going forward with our plans to get to Cabo Verde.

And to others reading this; you got to do your homework and listen to the experts when they give free advice.
Make sure repatriating to Cabo Verde is RIGHT for you before you buy your plane ticket!

#DeColonizeTheMind

Exactly.

That's why I asked.

I have seen this request on some residency applications in countries, but sometimes they only include it because it covers OTHER countries that have these forms, so I am wondering if it might be the case here.

I have lived in over 20 countries and I have never been required to have this form (if there even is one), and I was always told having an American passport alone answers this question as criminals cannot get passports or live abroad if they have a record.

Your information As I uderstand it is accurate. I had a niece who lived in sal for 2yrys and all she needed  as a police letter stating she had no covictions for law breaking or outstaning charges bassically to say your ok.
Bwills

Hi Brian,

Been a while since we've chatted. Thanks for trying to help. Unfortunately, you are not correct in the case of Triston. His statement was innacurate. The process of obtaining a visa to enter CV as a visitor or extending that visa is one thing, but obtaining a visa to reside (temporarily or permanently) in Cape Verde is a completely different thing.

The immigration laws in Cape Verde are extensive, complicated and thus can lead to confusion and frustration. This is why I do what I do. I help expats cut through this complexity. Otherwise it can be very frustrating even for expats who are already here as residents and wish to simply renew their residency status.

In addition, Triston may be confusing the initial entry process (all he needs is a passport, return ticket, a hotel reservation and a negative PCR test) with the residency process. However, this thing about a police certificate has nothing to do with entering CV. It is part of the residency process, and obviously he will need to bring one with him as it would be quite an inconvenience to leave the country to go get one! He can even order one online and receive it online.

Your niece being in Sal for two years and renewing her residency visa is different from someone coming to Cape Verde and applying for residency for the first time. I'm also very familiar with the police letter issued by Ireland as my business partner is also Irish and it was a snap for him to get his letter while outside of Ireland. But, it is different for Americans. There is no police "letter" that is issued to Americans! And it can be difficult to get said certificate when you are outside of the USA because fingerprints are required (and you have to find a certified place where they can be taken).

Triston will need to provide a police certificate. That's always been the law in CV. It matters not how they do it in other countries. I have assisted many new residents including American expats with these immigration procedures. However, there are also some differences in the acquisition of a US police certificate for Americans who are in America vs those who are outside America when they are requesting the certificate. In addition, there are other even more complicating factors for Triston.

This is not as simple as it would have been for your niece. I have already privately given Triston some of the information he needs. But as I mentioned it is complicated. I also offered my services to help him get this done smoothly and accurately (there is a bit more to his story which I will not share on the public forum). However, I believe he wants to work through this himself without professional assistance. And that is perfectly fine.

Therefore it is necessary that he find someone else on this forum who is as knowlegeable as I am about CV immigration to provide him with all of the extensive information about the immigration and visa procedures that he seeks in order to reside in Cape Verde.

Cheers,

Angelo

P.S. To my great horror, I just realized that I never responded to your very last message to me (even though the answers are somewhat moot until you are free to travel from Ireland). I will do so shortly. My sincere apologies!

BWills wrote:

Your information As I uderstand it is accurate. I had a niece who lived in sal for 2yrys and all she needed  as a police letter stating she had no covictions for law breaking or outstaning charges bassically to say your ok.
Bwills

Hi Angelo no need for appologies .
There have been no new developments on my end since we spoke last. Once again thank you for all your help and I will be in touch once things start to happen on my end
Kind regards
B.wills

Brian,

Thanks for your patience. I had taken the time to respond to your last message regardless.

Cheers,

Angelo

BWills wrote:

Hi Angelo no need for appologies .
There have been no new developments on my end since we spoke last. Once again thank you for all your help and I will be in touch once things start to happen on my end
Kind regards
B.wills

Cant thank you enough for all the info you sent me and for all the help you are giving on this forum will be in touch B.Wills