TEFL or TESOL in Vietnam

There are a multitude of online TEFL courses on offer. After 30 years of teaching, I doubt that they can teach me much. But since they are so cheap, I might as well get one. Which of the cheaper ones would you recommend, not in terms of the expertise they impart (except for the CELTA and the Trinity(which are too expensive), most of them are probably pretty useless, but in terms of recognition and the ability to get them notarized in Vietnam.

Mine was online course TEFLback in UK and gets accepted
In reality there isnt any major difference, but some places want a certified qualification

Teachaway via
University of Toronto

i am interested in comments here. given my previous experience, my sole focus would be a recognised Cert as easily and as cheaply as possible

PS i am not even sure i will ever use or need, but i would like to have as some sort of Plan B, and it would be something to DO. :-)

Any online course would be accepted... however if you wanted to make sure why not take a local course here in VN

Good morning,

I am interested in doing a course to teach English in Vietnam.
I have been in Finance / Accounting for 30 years so I thought teaching business English could be a good option.
The question is which course do I do CELTA or TEFL or TESOL?

Or do I move to Vietnam?

If you could advise me I would so appreciate it.

Kind regards,

Catherine

TEFL

My opinion is the TESOL. I have a 2 year uni degree in that cert. Not that you need that but i think it best prepares you for the jungle.

There are two advantages to CELTA over other courses. 
1)  It has a substantial practicum component that will give you real teaching experience and a chance to see if you are really not cut out for the job.
2)  It is widely seen as the best by Vietnamese employers.  For the OP, this should not matter but it does.

The biggest disadvantages of a CELTA are also two:
1) Cost
2) Time (one month full time.)

THIGV wrote:

There are two advantages to CELTA over other courses. 
1)  It has a substantial practicum component that will give you real teaching experience and a chance to see if you are really not cut out for the job.
2)  It is widely seen as the best by Vietnamese employers.  For the OP, this should not matter but it does.

The biggest disadvantages of a CELTA are also two:
1) Cost
2) Time (one month full time.)

These are good points, but I would add for number 2 that it is commonly preferred by TEFL employers worldwide, not just in Vietnam, so it is quite useful to have if you would like to change to a more competitive country than VN, which has some difficulty attracting highly qualified teachers.

Also, the two disadvantages are what make the CELTA so valued by employers. Someone who has completed it is seen as a person who has invested significant time and money into preparing for a ELT teaching career.

Another point is that the CELTA is sort of a "boot camp" and there is still a strong "old boys" network element in the TEFL industry around the world. If you haven't done the CELTA, then you certainly don't belng to this elite group. In fact, you may need to get a DELTA to join the "club".

Of course, the reality for VN is that most language mills aren't concerned about qualifications. They need people who are active (NOT BORING) and can handle large classes of kids and teens. They are profit-driven businesses and that is their target market.

Of course, on Khao San you can get yourself a doctorate in theoretical physics. You can then apply with those documents for a teaching job at a university, and end up teaching fellow prisoners in a penitentiary.

thecyclist wrote:

Of course, on Khao San you can get yourself a doctorate in theoretical physics. You can then apply with those documents for a teaching job at a university, and end up teaching fellow prisoners in a penitentiary.

That's a little bit melodramatic.  :joking:

Not so sure about that. At least in western countries submitting fake documents is a felony and could land you in jail. Here in Vietnam everything can be solved with money, so, yeah highly unlikely you would be locked up.

thecyclist wrote:

Not so sure about that. At least in western countries submitting fake documents is a felony and could land you in jail. Here in Vietnam everything can be solved with money, so, yeah highly unlikely you would be locked up.

Many govt officials have been caught with fake degrees, their punishment, very little.

Fake

As this recent article from Thailand points out, the KSR (Khao San Road) is no longer the place to get your fake PhD and intergalatic driver's license:

Officials tracking down foreigners with fake IDs opening up illegal businesses in Chiang Rai
https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/crime/o … chiang-rai

Khao San Road was a hive of fake documentation until a crackdown in 2018 forced most of the illegal vendors off the streets.

Related article from 2017:
TOURIST TOUTS, KHAOSAN FORGERS BUSTED (PHOTOS)
https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/cri … ed-photos/

Ready to retire from my job as a guidance counselor in the US.  I have 1 year experience (and the recommendations to prove it ) as an English Exchange teacher in Japan.  I have a Master's degree in Education.  Do I need a TEFL?  My thought was to offer conversation/pronunciation practice to students at the Universities in Da Lat studying to be English Teachers.  Not looking to get rich, just want something to do as I enjoy the culture.

Thanks much!

Silvagirl wrote:

Ready to retire from my job as a guidance counselor in the US.  I have 1 year experience (and the recommendations to prove it ) as an English Exchange teacher in Japan.  I have a Master's degree in Education.  Do I need a TEFL?  My thought was to offer conversation/pronunciation practice to students at the Universities in Da Lat studying to be English Teachers.  Not looking to get rich, just want something to do as I enjoy the culture.

Thanks much!

Contact the uni in Dalat and get the information directly from them.

That was  one of my thoughts - glad my thinking wasn't off base!  I will keep doing my research and check back as needed!   Thanks!

Well to those looking for an affordable TEFL provider - "The TEFL Academy" has been pretty fantastic and I'm only around halfway through.

Equivalent to a DipHE/CELTA/Trinity or two years at University (Level 5) and accredited+regulated by both OFQUAL (UK) and DEAC (US).

It likely doesn't have the same prestige that a CELTA or Trinity CertTESOL has - but it has been endorsed/won awards from "GoAbroad" and it does have multiple marketing campaigns where it is offered at around 60% off.

Kynan Watcham wrote:

Well to those looking for an affordable TEFL provider - "The TEFL Academy" has been pretty fantastic and I'm only around halfway through.

Equivalent to a DipHE/CELTA/Trinity or two years at University (Level 5) and accredited+regulated by both OFQUAL (UK) and DEAC (US).

Those online sites will tell you anything to get your hard-earned cash. Celta is far superior to TEFL.