How much would I need?

Greetings,

I'm a Malaysian who wish to one day live in Norway, possibly by my early 30's.  A dream house/location of mine would be a small cottage in the woods but yet still less than 20 minutes drive away from local market store or petrol station for me to get my supplies needed. This was inspired by a YouTuber called "Leena Henningsen" where I believe her place that she live in would be perfect and ideal for me and my dog.

How much does it cost for a foreigner like me would need to be able to afford a place like that and still manage to live comfortably for the rest of my life? My plan was to work for the next 10 years to which I could make a estimated figure of $220 000. I would' t mind working there for 1 or 2 years first before deciding on purchasing a the small cottage. So, would $220 000 be enough? PS: I don't spend much, just enough to get through the day would be enough for me.

Cheers!

there are way too many uncertainties in your post to be able to offer a concrete amount of money that would enable you to do this.

First, are you even able to move here legally? You would need a citizenship that allows settling here, or a visa. Visas are not given on the basis of property ownership so you would need a job, studies, or a family connection to the country.

Second, the property. Here's an example of what you could get for a million NOK in the country. That's about half your proposed budget. A lot of these are cheap because they need a lot of renovation to be liveable: https://www.finn.no/realestate/homes/se … ISHED_DESC

Note that if you want to live in the place permanently, it cannot be a vacation property or "fritidseiendom".

Then there's the question of what you need to spend on groceries, and how you plan to manage the rest of the money.

Yes, I would enter legally most probably through getting a job, that's why I'm planning on getting at least 10 years experience in business management and marketing here before I try applying for a job in Norway.

About the cottage you mentioned that needed renovation in order to be live in, would it be expensive as well? My budget of $200k would be taking into consideration that what I would have by the time I attempt to move there permanently, given that I would be able to get at least a min of an average job there in the business industry, I believe I could manage to sustain myself I think. Thanks for responding!

Yes, I would enter legally most probably through getting a job, that's why I'm planning on getting at least 10 years experience in business management and marketing here before I try applying for a job in Norway.

About the cottage you mentioned that needed renovation in order to be live in, would it be expensive as well? My budget of $200k would be taking into consideration that what I would have by the time I attempt to move there permanently, given that I would be able to get at least a min of an average job there in the business industry, I believe I could manage to sustain myself I think. Thanks for responding!

renovations are expensive here, especially bathrooms. And of course the level of renovation needed varies widely by property and isn't specified in the ads themselves. So I'm afraid I cannot provide you any specific assistance there, especially since I have no personal experience with Norwegian renovation projects. All my friends who've done it said it was not cheap though.

Right, anyways, thanks for your information, really appreciate it!

Hi,

Someone once asked a rich Norwegian man, "how much do I need to be rich?". The Norwegian man replied "Just a bit more"

The first thing you need to realize is that everything in Norway is grossly expensive. The whole system runs on greed and is very materialistic.  Because everything is so expensive it creates a vacuum of greediness because nobody wants to be any less than anyone else, so prices go up etc.  All of this becomes more prominent the closer to a city or large town you live.

Today, $220,000 USD is approx 1.8 million Norwegian kroner. That may sound like a lot, but believe me, by the standard here, it's not.  If you use the money wisely then it would give you a good start, but please focus on the keyword "wisely".  My advice would be as follows:

Learn the basics of the Norwegian language before even coming here. When it comes to speaking English, Norwegians are split into 2 groups. One group are VERY nationalistic and proud and will not want to entertain you unless you speak Norwegian, because to them, their Country is the best in the world and as an outsider you are privileged to be here and have to show them the respect they feel they deserve (plus those types are usually terrible at English, but let's not talk about that) ;)

The other group of people have evolved beyond the small, closed doors community mindset and are usually more traveled and more importantly, have come to the realization that Norway's international business relationships are growing all the time, so the need to be proficient in English is beneficial and not seen as a betrayal of the establishment, but as a benefit to society in the years to come, so in other words, speaking English is not a problem for them at all and they will actually help you to learn Norwegian gradually rather than slamming their fist on a desk and demanding you learn it.

What I'm getting at is, you need to think about what kind of work you would like to do and then check if speaking fluent Norwegian is going to be necessary or down to the employer's discretion. In some places, to even get a job as a cleaner you need to speak Norwegian, not because it's needed, because mops and cloths don't speak Norwegian, the employer might be inclined to make it mandatory for reasons mentioned above.

At some point you will need to know some Norwegian, you can't escape it really so it's good to learn some, but not because some proud a-hole demands it, but rather because it will be useful for communication skills, reading road signs, supermarket signs and prices etc. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against speaking Norwegian, but I am against arrogant butt-wipes who try to belittle you because you don't. (I'll provide some free learning links at the end to help you get started).

So, first, finding a job as quickly as possible is of paramount importance, otherwise your money will disappear VERY quickly. You want to find some way to get an income and support yourself and presumably pay your rent on a temporary apartment so you don't need to dip into your savings for those expenses.

Once you've done that, go to the bank, for instance DNB and make an appointment with a financial advisor who will help you with safe investments, they will put your money to work and make it grow. Explain that this is an investment towards a property and they will be happy to help you.

Norway is a place that can, and does suck people in and spit them out at regular intervals. It can be a great place to live and thrive, but you absolutely have to be wise about it.

There technically isn't a one-line answer to the question you asked, but the above is good advice from a veteran who has been though all the pitfalls and come out the other end.

If you want to check out housing prices by different areas,  start here https://www.finn.no/ and when you get to the page click the icon with a picture of a house labeled Eiendom then on the next page click the link which says "Bolig til salgs" (property for sale). On the next page you can then in the left column choose which areas to search, set a max price etc (Use Google translate if necessary). I'd forget places like Oslo and Trondheim as the housing market is on another planet and in those areas you have the law of supply and demand in full swing. Advertise property at a crazy price and hope someone will pay it, someone does pay it because they want to make a huge profit on it, sold!!! (so yeah, don't go there) because unless the cycle of greed is broken it's just going to continue. It's already becoming impossible for many Norwegians, so coming in from the outside is not the ideal situation.

As for starting to learn some Norwegian, you can begin here https://www.ntnu.edu/norwegiancourse/no … on-the-web when you get there, click on the link which says "Go straight to NoW"
The "foreign" students just happen to speak perfect Norwegian, but let's not talk about that ;) but it will give you a good intro.

OK, got work to do - hope his helps a little. I will just mention that your money can get you a place to live / buy even if you ignore everything above, but if you want to do more than just exist, then please be wise. :)

Thank you for your response! Well since I have a Degree in Business, I planned on working in those fields, however, I look it up as most of them required to speak/write fluent Norwegian which kinda sucks. Hence, I'm just gonna work here in my country for a few more years to gain some more working experience while trying to pick up Norwegian at the same time.

Probably a wise decision.

Get some more experience whilst learning some Norwegian, continue to save money and research the system here then you'll be much better equipped with a greater chance of success.