Relocation to Cape Verde

Hello,

I am an American expat that lives in Europe now and am contemplating a move to Cape Verde for a few months, possibly longer. I have so many questions.

I am self-employed with my own business, and the only thing I need is reliable wi-fi. Which island is the best for expats and foreigners?

I would like to know the best places to rent and what is the price range for a modern, 1-2 bedroom apartment.

How difficult is it to get a residence permit or for those that are self-employed?

What are the best healthcare coverage options?

Thanks in advance.

Hi Triston,

You have many of the initial questions that most expats have when they are thinking about coming to Cape Verde for an extended period. Where in Europe are you living right now?

I've tried my best to answer your questions below:

Which island is the best for expats and foreigners?
There isn't a single "best island" for foreigners. It all depends on what you are trying to accomplish. If you're just looking for a sun & sand beach/water sports holiday, your best bet is Sal. However, there are barely any tourists there now, so it will be very quiet and most of the hotels are closed at the moment. If you are looking for a cultural immersion, São Vicente may be the best choice. If you're a hiker and nature lover then Santo Antão, Fogo or Brava may be the better destination. If you're looking for the most diverse experience including remote work, plus cultural and beach activity, hiking and gastronomy, then Santiago is the best choice.

Most US Expats live in Praia (the capital) on the island of Santiago. The Europeans tend to go the sun & sand route in Sal or Boa Vista (but Sal has much better infrastructure and accomodation choices of the two, so it's definitely better for longer stays).

All islands have fast Wi-Fi for remote working so this is not a differentiating factor by island. However, if you also want access to coworking space, then Praia will offer this alternative. My eGuide covers this question and much more about living and working in CV.

I would like to know the best places to rent and what is the price range for a modern, 1-2 bedroom apartment.
On most islands, including the capital, a 1 bedroom apartment (referred to as a T1 will run you about €200 unfurnished and €300 furnished in terms of monthly rent. A T2 will be about €50 per month higher. As you move out towards the countryside, you'll pay somewhat less. On Sal and Boa Vista you'll pay substantially more (perhaps +€150) as the demand from the European visitors is quite high (in normal times) and the supply of rental accommodations is low.

How difficult is it to get a residence permit or for those that are self-employed?
Before thinking of a residency permit, you first need to think about how long you might be here. If you are going to be here for more than 30 days (the length of a normal visitors visa), then very first and easiest option to consider is actually a multiple entry vistors visa. You can get this from the Cape Verdean Embassy nearest you (and you can apply by mail). This visa is valid for two to five years and allows you to saty for 90-180 days each time you visit during the visa's period of validity. You'll have to leave before the 90-180 day period, but you can then return without applying for a new visa. Ask the embassy to provide the 5 year visa that allows you to stay up to 180 days per visit, if you are planning to come and go over many years.

If you are planning to stay for longer periods (more than 90-180 days), you can apply for a residency visa which will allow you to stay without having to leave and return like the multiple-entry visitors visa. There are two ways to do this. You can either apply for the remote-work visa which is explained on this official website. Or you can come on a regular 30-day visitors visa and apply for a residency visa while you are here. In either case, you will need to obtain a number of documents to submit with your application AFTER you arrive in CV. All of the documents (except one) are obtained locally in CV so you'll have to do some running around to gather them. The only foreign document you will need is a police certificate from the most recent country you've spent more than 6 months before coming to CV.

Regardless of which kind of visa you opt for, you should ALSO register on the eVisa EASE website BEFORE you board your flight to Cape Verde. This will allow you to pay the €25 airport tax online and wil save you a lot of waiting and other delays in the immigration line.

There are no locally available health care coverages for temporary visitors to Cape Verde. Residents (temporary or permament) and citizens have a public health care program. Employees pay 8% of their salary, but if you are self-employed or own a business, it's hard to figure out what they will charge you to participate. Either way, you're better off obtaining emergency evacuation coverage from a private fireign insurer. But even without health care coverage, the local public hospitals and private clinics are very inexpensive for basic health and medical services. However, they do not provide much by way of critical medical care (whether or not you have the local public plan). For more complicated or critical medical procedures, you'll need to fly to Dakar in Senegal or the Canary Islands (which are the closest countries with such services), or to Brazil, Europe or the US...which is why you should have emergency evacuation coverage.

If you are looking to come to Santiago (Praia) or São Vicente (Mindelo), I can provide you with additional help. I have a group of English-speaking university graduates whom I coordinate. Any one of them can be assigned to help you physically locate all of the services you need and assist with the interactions with the local institutions, shops and providers as it can be quite daunting initially, until you adapt to the location in terms of finding your way around and learning the basics of the language. We can even help you find apartments in the safest locations; locate any public agencies, groceries, shops; register a business; locate some to clean & cook; etc.

Let me know if you have any other questions, or shoot me a message in the private chat.

Regards,

Angelo

Triston wrote:

Hello,

I am an American expat that lives in Europe now and am contemplating a move to Cape Verde for a few months, possibly longer. I have so many questions.

I am self-employed with my own business, and the only thing I need is reliable wi-fi. Which island is the best for expats and foreigners?

Thanks in advance.

Why do you not try Portugal?

Ivanildo,

Have you compared the cost of living in Portugal to Tirana, Albania? Tirana is at least as beautiful, has more cultural depth, and is much, much cheaper than Portugal. Cape Verde offers a wonderful cultural experience though it is not quite as developed as Albania. But the cost of living in CV is cheaper than Albania. And now we have cheap, superfast Wi-Fi and a very fast 4G cellular nextwork which is of great utility to self-employed digital nomads.

Now do you understand why Triston may be contemplating Cape Verde instead of a more expenisve location in Europe? I'll let Triston clarify his motivations.

You are of Cape Verdean descent yourself. I'm not sure why you keep pitching Portugal on the Cape Verde forum. Perhaps you should come back for a holiday and see how your homeland has progressed and why it is appealing to remote workers, digital nomads and foreign investors.

Cheers,

Angelo

IvanildoaBorges wrote:

Why do you not try Portugal?