Moving to Mombasa

Hi,
I am planning to send my 9 year old from the UK to Kenya.
We plan on him living with a family member who is a kenyan citizen and be under their care.

Could you please advise on the process/requirements?

Will monthly monetary support from myself be taken into account?
If not, what is the income they need to have in order to be accepted?

My daughter did something similar with our granddaughter, who was sent to Kenya to live with us and go to school.  My wife handled the process, so what is below, is an outline of what was done.

Your relative will need to apply for a Dependent Pass with Re-entry Pass (otherwise the Dependent Pass gets cancelled if your child leaves Kenya).

I assume that he will go to school.  If so, he will also need to be registered in a school and confirmation of this, from the school provided to Immigration.

Do a written and notarised guardianship order before your child leaves.  This should include clauses that your relative has permission to make best interest decisions in terms of healthcare and education - this is more a safety net than a requirement........just in case.

Moneywise, Immigration didn't ask - children are always dependents by default.  As I recall, Immigration were more concerned with the reason for my granddaughter being in Kenya ie; to attend school and the details of the school.  It won't harm to make a declaration that a certain amount will be transferred on a monthly basis.  Overall, it was a rapid and hassle free process.

It's not uncommon for UK based Kenyans to sent children to be educated in Kenya, due to the dissatisfaction with the lack of discipline in UK schools.  9 years is a good age to do this.  Much older and many Kenyan schools don't like accepting UK educated kids, as they are perceived to be mannerless, without respect for adults and simply too difficult to handle!!!!

Hi thank you so so much for your response, it has made things much clearer to me now!
Do you know how long the process usually takes? And how long did it take for you and your family?

It took a couple of weeks as I recall (but it was a few years ago).  We had to find the school and have her accepted, first.  The admission letter could then be presented and Dependent Pass applied for. 

We initially forgot to have a re-entry permit put in her passport (this is not automatic), to the Dependent Pass got cancelled when she travelled to the UK to visit her mum.

It wasn't a difficult process.

Okay that sounds great.
These days it seems like everything visa wise is done online, Did you do it all online or did you have to visit the immigration office for it?

Thank you for your help by the way x

We applied before the online processes were introduced.

You are welcome!