Any opinion on Monumental Health insurance.

Hello. I've recently bought a property in the Sosua/Cabarete area.  Seems reasonable to now get health insurance.

I'm Canadian. In relatively good health, and was recommended: "La Monumental de Seguros" for health insurance by a broker in Sosua.  The main reason given for this insurance over PALIC, HUMANO, etc.. is the relative stability of the yearly premium as I get older.

My main question is: "is this insurance widely accepted within the Dominican Republic"?

Any thoughts?
Any bad (or good ) experiences with this Insurance company..?
thanks in advance.

First welcome to the forums!   

Congratulations on your purchase.

Monumental is not one of the bigger players in the  Health Insurance game here.  Humano and Universal are the biggest and in my opinion the best. I have a large group with Humano.

Pricing -  here insurance  is priced yearly.  To now there has been little difference in age, sex, smoker and drinker statuses. In many other countries insurance is priced based on a lot of variables.  Here  a 5 year old pays the same price as a  30 year old or a  60 year old. Prices go up at  65 in most companies. 

Those days are coming to an end.  Two of the larger companies announced changes in pricing structure to allow for age bands.  Soon they will  differentiate between male and female, smoker vs non  etc.

All the changes were put on hold with Covid hit! I expect  a big change in how things are done  once this pandemic is under control and we have the vaccine.

My group has not had a  price adjustment in   19 months due to covid hitting  when I should have gotten a renewal rate.  Its coming.  Group rates are based on the  group   use experienced.  So the better  the group is managed the better you control rates. AND  if you take a policy  directly with a company, you get their average experience. I do not know which is better! 

If I was you -  I would get insurance sooner rather than later!  If you need more info I am happy to message you privately.

yes please PM me.  Maybe I should expand my search to other Brokers.

Can you explain what residents (non expats) without health insurance do?

DRVisitor wrote:

Can you explain what residents (non expats) without health insurance do?

For doctor's visits, they pay cash before they see the doctor as well as any studies. 

Emergency room/clinics: They are either denied treatment or are required to post a substantial amount of cash to be attended.

If you are considering a public hospital, it would be worth the effort to visit one and view the conditions.

Generally speaking, you have to supply just about everything, right down to gauze, bandaids, drugs, etc.
The doc gives you a prescription and you go to the nearest pharmacy to buy it.

I consider medical insurance to be the #1 item on my budget

Exactly right. Without insurance cash is king. 

In an emergency this is a big deal. You  would be taken - somehow - to a public hospital if there is no immediate way to pay for services or post a large deposit.  Depending on the issue  this can be several thousands of dollars.

And what is generally cost of a doctor's visit (basic problem)?

Also, hospitals are both public and private? What % of each?

Cost depends on doctor location and specialty.

Who knows on the % .  All you need to understand is you do not want to go to a public hospital for any reason!

Cost  I have seen ranges from    1,000 RD to   2,500 RD  for a visit.

That is what a co pay would be in the states with insurance. If you have insurance no cost for visit?

There are copays depending on your coverage and the cost of any particular doctor.

With my group its  20% copay  out of hospital.   we pay 100% in hospital up to plan limits.

So besides emergency or surgery, etc what is the benefit of insurance if you are a healthy person?

Same as at home.  As we age you need regular checkups and tests.   You are also likely to suffer from parasites and amoebas here.  If you live in tourist areas you are exposed to viruses brought here from all over. 

The best we can hope for with insurance is to have it and never ever need it!  Insurance is about risk management.

Also factor in the high possibility of traffic accidents here!

i have monumental fir my employees  and there is a co pay

Sana el Jardin Secreto  santiago

Almost all plans and companies have a co pay