New members of the Philippines forum, introduce yourselves here - 2021

Dear friends, I would like to obtain some informations about The Philippines. Regards, Patrick

Hello PatrickLeclerc,

Could you please be more specific on the type of information you are looking for?

This would be easier for us to help you. 😉

Cheers,

Cheryl
Expat.com team.

Patrick- There are tons of info online as well as you tube videos you can watch to learn about this country. You tube videos are GREAT! JIMMY

Hello, I'm Mike, I lived in the Philippines in 2005 and 2006. I am a psychologist and I was burnt out and needed a break so I moved to the Philippines. I met my future wife, Leonora and we traveled around Asia and eventually went back to the states. My wife and I decided to move back to the Philippines 2 years ago and started planning our move. We decided to move to Iloilo, Manila was more than I wanted to deal with; not a fan of any really big city anymore. My wife came here last October and I arrived in February this year. I am really enjoying myself, in spite of the Covid restrictions.

Hi Michael I'm a psychologist too also in the Philippines from Canada

Hello. I need help if possible? Thank you. I am looking to move to PH from Mauritius. Any ideas? Thank you in advance.

Hello Professor Stygian,

Welcome to Expat.com  :cheers:

Could you please be more specific on the type of information you are looking for? It is about visa, accommodation etc?

You may create a new thread on the Philippines forum in order to ask your questions.  ;)

Cheers,

Cheryl
Expat.com team.

I wanted job in manlila

Hi, Only baby says " i want "  ;)

anmolsarwade wrote:

I wanted job in manlila

There are databases with offers of jobs as e  g the one DOLE has  (=Department of Labor  and Employment.  NOT the ffruit company.)   
Some of the general ones are onliine e ghttps://www.jobstreet.com.ph/en/job-sea … base-jobs/

Plus there are some websites
with job offers for separate business types
as well as local ones and Facebook groups.

Hi everyone, Joel here!

I am a Filipino-American who moved back here in the Philippines in 2015 after almost 30 years in the US. Yup, that's more than half of my life and living here was challenging at the start but it definitely became worthwhile. I've learned a lot of the traditions and culture of my fellow Filipino and can even cook a bunch of pinoy dishes now. 

As for my career, I am a Registered Investment Advisor (RIA) fiduciary, registered in CA USA helping other US expats in this region with their cross border financial planning. I'm single and I live alone here in Alabang, which is a really nice place. I am a highly extroverted person and just loves to socialize, unfortunately the pandemic made it impossible for my free spirit to really do what it loves, and am really hoping that things will get better.

I love to sing and perform on stage. I enjoy theater and movies, who knows I might get to find people here who have similar interest, that would be amazing!

I would really love to connect with you guys here and exchange knowledge and experiences. It helps a lot most especially in this unprecedented time we are living. Hope everyone is doing well and let's all stay safe.

Hello Joel.
Welcome.  You have had plenty of time to adjust, I hope it all goes well. I am still learning and I am in Cebu.
regards  Bruce (ex-Oz)

jnb913 wrote:

I love to sing and perform on stage. I enjoy theater and movies, who knows I might get to find people here who have similar interest, that would be amazing!.

I suppouse no probem to find that in Phils by karaoke/videoke   :)

Hello everyone,

My name is Mike it is nice to meet everyone. I am new to the forums. I have been here in the Philippines for a few years now. I am part owner of a import / export business in Cebu. It is just the four of us in my small office. Most days are very boring. I look forward to taking to you guys.

Hi Mike, welcome to the forum, enjoy.

Cheers, Steve.

Hello Mike.
Welcome and I hope we can help. I am on Mactan. Been here 3  years, married 2  years. Enjoying my retirement. What does your business do ?  Which part of Cebu are you in ?  regards  Bruce

Hi Julien, my is Rickey Schneider. I visited Bacolod city, in 1973. It was a short visit, 3days. I was able to meet several people. I lost contact. In 1980. I was introduced to a woman who lived in Iloilo, and we pen paled for a couple years. She left an impression on me in regards to the city. And I thought to visit it some day. Life has given me the time and opportunity to that. And if all is well the spring of 2022. I would like to visit. My primary business in the USA is rocks, gems, minerals. I thought to find rock carvers, as lm fond of turtles, it would be turtles, I would provide the stone. Any thoughts would be much appreciated. Im without contacts, and thought the forum would be helpful?

Reguards.            Rickey schneider

"Iloilo"
I havent been there, but several say its very calm. quiet low voice people - in diffference from city Cebuanos, who shout when they talk   :lol:  - and the two I knew from there speak low.

I thought I had contacts to all occupations   :)   but sorry I dont know any rock carvers.
There are databases for work adds and with job seekers, but I dont believe rock carvers look there. 
I believe better chance if you post in Facebook groups, local where you want them to be located and/or if you find a special group in the Philippines about such.

((Almost all bargains I have found  have been through local or specialiced facebook groups or by gossip  :)   Filipinos are good at trying to connect people and get a piece of the cake to themselves.   After telling to only two we are buying a type of business, we have got close to 20 offers just in same municipaly, all with very cheap asked price so we havent even bothered to haggle.))

Hi
I'm a retired guy that is thinking I'm going to move to around Davao city.
I'm from the USA and presently in the UAE.
I'm interested in how to transfer social security check from USA to bank in Davao or Tagum.
Once I figure that out then I hope to visit maybe in January. Earliest move would be a year from now.
Bubba

Hey Ike.. I take it that's ur name...  I'm tony and I too am prepairing to venture out in 2022 1st quarter if permitted due to restrictions.  But of course, have to wait for my passport .18 weeks... Yuk!  But it is what  it is I guess.  Going to fly into Cebu and hook up with a rental condo and take it from there.  have a safe trip and hopefully .. we'll see each other on the other side..LOL  Take Care Man!

Hi Ruth.. what changed your mind about living the Cebu area.. if you don't mind me asking.   I am planning on PI entry from the States 1st Qt 2022.. if the restriction go away..  Was strongly thinking about Cebu Mactan Island there abouts..  Cheers... Tony

Welcome all.  Search for info, there's a pull-down search menu on the main forum home page.

Best to keep Soc Sec going into a US account and do regular transfers.

Cebu City is extremely congested and it can take an hour (or more) just to get across town. Air quality not so good either. Mactan island not quite so bad but 60-90 min away from the nicer parts of Cebu City - Ayala Mall, IT Park, Crossroads, Lahug area, etc.

New guy here!

Currently living in the States and packing up to move in February when restrictions (hopefully) settle down. Married to a Filipina here in the USA and we have gone back and forth for the last couple years. We have a home in Dumaguete.

hey ppgfreak... is that name for ppg paint.. you a painter?.. LOL   where bouts you here in the US?.. i'm wanting to get over to PH.. 2022 Jan//Feb if all goes well... just waiting to hear about lifted restrictions. . wait .. wait and wait..

Hi all,

Jeff A here 55years old from Orlando Florida. Married Filipina in the USA and we decided to retire in the Phillipines.  We own a house in Davao City and rented it out a few years before coming to the Philippines just before the COVID-19 crisis hit in February (Here 6 months now).

Doing some referbs on the house, Paint inside and out, new inverter ACs installed, Bathrooms being redone. This has been keeping me busy. Look forward to chatting with you all and putting my 2 cents in whenever I can make a contribution to a thread.

If you have any insights and thoughts / pearls of wisdom you would like to share that would be great. I am always open to learning from those who came before me so I don't have to recreate the wheel if you know what I mean.

Thanks, Jeff A

Hi Everyone,

My name is Bob and I'm new here. I plan on relocating to the PI in a few years and want to learn as much as I can from other expats before I come there. I do have a quick question. My lady friend needs a laptop, and I have one to spare. Is it safe to send it in a Balikbayan box? I live in a Filipino household, and they send all kinds of things on a regular basis, including electronics, but I wanted to see if I could get a response here. I'm also looking to make some personal connections. I appreciate any advice.

Bob,

I sent 2 balikbayan boxes to the Philippines with clothing and some other items, but electronic Toothbrush was all we sent as far as electronics goes. We hand carried our laptops in the roller bags on the plain. I guess you can try to ship a laptop in a Balikbayan box but I wouldn't advise it. To me the risk is to great especially if it has personal information that can be stolen including your identity.

I hope this helps.

Jeff A

Regarding shipping a laptop in a balikbayan box, yes you can do it but I would put it in a padded carrying case. Then put it in the middle of the box with clothes or towels for extra padding underneath and on top.

Suggest wiping it clean first with a factory reset, but that will require her to reload software, like Office. If you don't have the applic software disks to send with it then just make sure you have cleared off all personal documents, email archives, contacts, etc. You really have to go through it as email apps often write backups to archives located all over the place.

It will be in a padded backpack in between towels. Thanks!

pnwcyclist wrote:

Suggest wiping it clean first with a factory reset, but that will require her to reload software, like Office. If you don't have the applic software disks to send with it then just make sure you have cleared off all personal documents, email archives, contacts, etc. You really have to go through it as email apps often write backups to archives located all over the place.

I used a formatted drive and installed just the needed software. Thanks!

Hi, Married and living in Manila.

Welcome to the forum Tyrion!

Cheers and I am trying to catchup on all the relevant threads; plenty of excellent information!

Even though I am a city boy, it is interesting reading about the challenges and adventures of the probinsanyo...  ;)

Sorry about the delayed response, I did not realize that I had any responses, not attuned to posting things yet. I practiced for many years in Kansas City, Mo. had a private practice and then went to mostly consulting work as I got closer to moving. This is my email address: [email protected], hope to hear from you. Mike

Brand new here!  Haven't moved yet, but planning on getting to the PH for 6 months a year starting in 2022!   Love to meet you all when I get there!   Smitty

evilsmitty wrote:

Brand new here!  Haven't moved yet, but planning on getting to the PH for 6 months a year starting in 2022!   Love to meet you all when I get there!   Smitty

Why only 6 months ?

Has USA too as e g Canada and Sweden, citizens lose benifits if not being in the home country minimum 6 months a year?

evilsmitty wrote:

Hi and welcome to the forum, enjoy. 6 months here for the good weather and 6 months back home with family, friends and the better weather too, what a way to go. I hope things open up soon so we can all travel.

Stay safe.

Cheers, Steve.

If you can work it that sounds like a good split between US and Phils.

evilsmitty wrote:

Welcome. That's what I do.. in normal years, lol. Stuck back in the US currently.

Closed