New members of the Philippines forum, introduce yourselves here - 2021

Thank you

Hello, and I am 64 and single and looking to retire next year. I did a long visit in Nov. 2019, and last years was canceled so  back November 2021. I have narrowed it to Colombia, Dominican Republic and the Philippines so I appreciate you allowing me into the forum.

Welcome Carl from one Seattleite to another. I am not currently an expat but I lived in Bacolod for 2 years in the early 70's and am hoping to move back in a year or so. My wife and I currently reside in Vegas.

Wow! Sounds like Heaven... I looked it up ... and I've changed my mind from Cebu to Pampanga because of what you said . Thanks for sharing your wonderful story... I'm a Christmas baby ... best gift my Dad and Mom ever got... they are both gone and I miss them terribly
Ruth

hi everyone i am filomena lim 86 years old a retired US nurse now living in the philippines. i am very thankful to be in this group and glad to have you all.

stay safe everyone

filomenalim7535 wrote:

hi everyone i am filomena lim 86 years old a retired US nurse now living in the philippines. i am very thankful to be in this group and glad to have you all.

stay safe everyone

Welcome to the forum, enjoy.

Cheers, Steve.

Welcome Filomena! Glad to have you here.

Welcome Ruth!

Welcome Carl! Yes it is cheaper to live here in many ways.

Welcome Matt! Tough choice on where to live, some good books on the subject.

Welcome aboard retired nurse.I am Jimmy in Baguio city retired English teacher.Also new to this forum.

Filomena,

Welcome. Glad to have you on the forum.

Las Vegas huh? I worked out at Indian Springs on the Predator drone for 2 years. I was Sooo glad to get out of the desert. Being from the Pacific Northwest I'm used to tall treees, green grass and plants that grow for more than just 2 or 3 months out of the year. I couldn't deal with the heat and dust every day. And driving in the vegas area is almost a contact sport. I seen better drivers in Korea.

carlisom78 wrote:

Las Vegas huh? I worked out at Indian Springs on the Predator drone for 2 years.

I lived in Henderson for 13 years, then moved to the Philippines.

There was an interesting movie a couple years ago about drone pilots, always waiting permission from the CIA to take out a target. Sometimes they would watch our troops on patrol at night with heat seeking abilities to check if there are any enemy combatants that might ambush them.

Filo-I dont know where you are living now or plan on living but if you prefer cooler weather I can highly recommend Baguio City. Have lived here almost 9 years in July. Locals around here treat seniors with respect . Low crime rate. Taxis everywhere for transportation. Mid 70's year around and cooler at night.jan and Feb are winter months but never any snow. Mid 50's to high 50's at night then back in mid 70's again next day. Rainy season easily adaptable June/July to Oct/Nov usually dry again 1st week of Nov. Mostly sunny days here. Dont need air con or a heater so that helps a lot on utilitiy bills. Just about every barangay has a senior citizen place for seniors to hang out. Decent health care here not like the expensive cities like manila. I also like Palawan Puerto Princessa but still too hot for me there. Message me my private email if you want further information. Take care and stay safe! Baguio Jimmy [email protected]

Ruth-Pampanga is near Manila and very hot down there. I have been thru there. I cant recommend it to anyone planning on living here. Baguio is the best place OVER ALL in my opinion. Do your research on all possible places to retire before you come here, There are also many videos on you tube to help you decide. Everyone has certain needs, likes and dislikes. I fell in love with Baguio when I got here. I was actually here in Baguio for a few days 15 years before I retired here. On a short vacation while teaching English in Korea. I decided then I would live here some day, Been here 9 years. This is my home.! Good luck and stay safe! JIMMY in Baguio

Bob, I've watched hours and hours of that type of video when I was deployed with the predators to Afghanistan and Iraq. On a single trip I personally loaded over 120 hellfires missiles under the wings of our predators. They had a habit of going out loaded and coming back empty.

carlisom78 wrote:

Bob, I've watched hours and hours of that type of video when I was deployed with the predators to Afghanistan and Iraq. On a single trip I personally loaded over 120 hellfires missiles under the wings of our predators. They had a habit of going out loaded and coming back empty.

From what I heard, Creech AFB  are where the unmanned drones are controlled. The movie I watched had some interesting human sides to it. One character said he would rather be flying F16's in combat, than sitting safely in a metal hut thousands of miles away remotely dropping ordinance on suspected terrorists.

I guess it would weigh heavily on a persons mind that he can actually see the person whose life he is about to end, compared from dropping bombs from an aircraft and never actually seeing the enemy.

If I remember correctly after taking the combatant out they would have to confirm the hit with the drone cameras, in this case it showed the mans arm dangling from a tree.

BobEnzyte, The majority of our Predator pilots felt that way. Every pilot I've ever worked with enjoy the actual experience of takeoff, flying, and landing. Once you've been in a position where you actually get paid to do something most people would do for free. It makes life SO MUCH EASIER to put into perspective. I was never a pilot, but as an aircraft mechanic for 39 years I was lucky enough to get paid to fly with my plane when it was scheduled to leave home station and remain overnight in a different location.

It was the most AWESOME fringe benefit I ever got to enjoy.

English gent, retired here. Been coming to Philippines since 1982. Worked here for a few years, bought and sold a few condos here. Live in Makati and currently unable to leave because of the pesky exit reentry situation with SRRV visa..but making the besto f it with trips to a great variety of places, despite the travelling hurdles.  Happily single and enjoying life !!!

Hey all. Was stationed in the Philippines in 88. Married to a Filipina for 31 years, 4 kids. Just recently got them all dual citizenship. Can retire in about 6 years at 58 years old. We vacation in the Philippines every year and want to snow bird...live 6 months in the winter there, 6 months in the states during summer.  Always looking for tips, advice, info, building/buying a home etc in Cebu, southern part....Dalaguete, Alcoa or Argao area. Read through lots of posts already and learned some too. Thanks for letting me join.

Welcome to the Forum Freebie, given your time here in PH. you could probably teach/help members by sharing your experiences. Enjoy.

Cheers, Steve.

Welcome to the forum Allen Evans, hope you contribute and enjoy.

Cheers, Steve.

Welcome Freebie! Glad you joined us and that you're able to still get around and enjoy. It's a beautiful country.

Welcome Allen! That's pretty much what I do - spend fall/winters in Philippines, although this year no luck of course. I'm familiar with the southern part of Cebu - very pretty but limited services/schools available in the small towns. Feel free to PM me for more info.

Hi Allen , are any of your kids school age and coming with you ?

In about 6 years, ill have 3 adult kids and 1 14 yr old school age daughter. That is a worry. With the pandemic, she's been home schooled to end last year and all this year. That would be the best option imo, but definitely depends on her at the time. A great question people need to think about that have school aged children for sure.

Allen Evans wrote:

In about 6 years, ill have 3 adult kids and 1 14 yr old school age daughter. That is a worry. With the pandemic, she's been home schooled to end last year and all this year. That would be the best option imo, but definitely depends on her at the time. A great question people need to think about that have school aged children for sure.

Yes depending of how self driven she is.
I went to highschool myself but around her age it got available to make tests for WHOLE courses at one time, which I loved so I could get rid of much at short time    :)

Hi all! Thanks for having me here. I'm a Pinoy living up Northern Luzon. I used to live in Australia for almost 6 years. I would try my best to give input to this forum from a Filipino's point of view. I can speak several dialects, including : Tagalog, Bicolano, Ilocano, English, some Spanish ( I need to polish more though ) :lol: .

We're living on the beach here in La Union for 2 years now. Still surviving these lock downs.

I used to work in Philippine National Railways in Train Operation Department, for 3 and half years. 2 Years in Manila 1 and half Year in Bicol Region ( That's why I learned their language as they said I need to learn it so they can't " sell " me ).

Then my partner and I went to Australia to live and work there for almost 6 years. I'm still holding my Permanent Residency in Oz for another 5 years.

Bengie.

bigpearl wrote:

Welcome to the Forum Freebie, given your time here in PH. you could probably teach/help members by sharing your experiences. Enjoy.

Cheers, Steve.

Happy to share what I know. All someone has to do is ask and happy to provide information based on what I know or have seen or experienced here.... etc.

Welcome Bengie!  Happy to have you here!

Julien wrote:

Hi all,

Newbie on the Philippines forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country,
or to tell us more on your expat projects in the Philippines if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Hello,

I'm living in BGC, I'm from Canada, 50 years old...just looking to see if there are any expats here in Taguig City that want to socialize.
Cheers!

Hi onefogarty, welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy  this forum, contribute and find some people to catch up with in Taguig.

Cheers, Steve.

Hi All, my name is Andre, born South African, married to a Pilipino and been working in the Middle East for the past 10 years. We have built a house in Quezon province and we are planning to move there in November this year for early retirement or maybe some consulting work or start a small business. Any ideas will be welcome.

Cheers

aklokow wrote:

for early retirement or maybe some consulting work or start a small business. Any ideas will be welcome.

You have a good idea allready   :)  = consulting .

In general to avoid to hard competition, start something few Filipinos can copy by:
/Missing knowledge
/or few, who can be interested in such business, have capital enough.

/or ddo something for export/sold elsewhere, beecause such are less sensitive for close copying. (as long as there are raw material enough).

AK-Jobs are scarce especially in a pandemic. You best live here with your nest egg already established. Best way to live here is with a pension, in my opinion. Its sustained income that is safe for the time being. Philippinos are offered jobs before foreigners and that makes sense to me. Best wait a few years until we get thru this pandemic. At least get vaccinated for covid if you trust the vaccines. As all good things usually come to an end that goes for bad things as well. The world made it thru the 1918 Spanish flu and made her stronger and resilient. Take care and stay safe. JIMMY

Thanks guys for the advice Jimmy makes a good point though. Well we still in Dubai and at the moment no flights out so far until end June. Let's see by Nov or Dec as that is the plan to leave.

Btw you guys have experience, is it better to buy a new car or used? If used it's probably tricky to get the history on the car and the condition, any ideas?

Thanks

AKL- I dont know about buying new or used but I can tell you this:Dont buy any vehicle unless it is from a registered dealership or ORIGINAL owner. I assume a car purchase is no different from a motorbike purchase I did. I was the 3rd owner and it has been a REAL hassle getting the title transferred into my name, Have been trying a long time. Will know what final results are when I go to LTO next month. Original owner lives in Manila. An agent for her sold it to second owner and I bought it from 2nd owner 6 yrs ago and have been registering it every year under original owners name. New law July last year says buyer has to buy it from ORIGINAL owner or a dealership, I had to write a letter to the original owner in Manila and she emailed me back a few weeks later and said she didnt have time to help me as she was getting ready to have a baby and running a small business. Luckily I had 2 photo ids from her when she sold it to 2nd owner. They are black and white and not color.(Supposed to be Govern issued color photocopies) Have to sign 3(thee times) next to each ID)  Anyway  even tho I had a copy of deed of sale from original owner to second owner and second owner to  me I must have a deed of sale from original owner so its all a big mess now. Original owner says she doesnt have time to help me. I have a really cool guy at LTO who has been working with me to get this straightened out  so  he contacted the chief of registration at lTO and I saw him in person a few days ago. He said to come back in 2 weks.I hope it will all be over then. Do NOT buy any vehicle unless its the original owner. Thats my advice.Even tho I was the third owner of a 2012 Suzuki motorbike it only had 15 hundred kms on it so it was just like new.New one will cost about 70,000 pesos.I paid 35,000. Had it 6 years now and runs great!J2012 Suzuki 110cc "NEX' Its an awesome bike!  Low maintenance costs. Only had to replace the belt once. It will start slipping before it goes out so you know when to replace it. I keep a spare for when it does. Remember- If you buy a car and you get in an accident even tho its the Pinoys fault you will be responsible financially.(Its not meant to be a negative statement-just the truth from what I hear -It may or may not be true-I dont know)) I have had other people  here tell me that. Better off with a motorbike. Cant do much if any damage to another vehicle with a motorbike,..A car accident could be very costly..May God bless the wonderful people of the Philippines!.

aklokow wrote:

Btw you guys have experience, is it better to buy a new car or used? If used it's probably tricky to get the history on the car and the condition, any ideas?

Risky to buy used in Phils by they cn be reconditioned LOOK after flooding
and the normal is Filipinos DONT MAINTAIN their vehicles!!!  (although some maintain the LOOK but not the unvissible...  :)    Its so rare they maintain proper so rather many car sell adds say "changed oil"  as it would be something fantastic  :lol:  instead of suppoused to be general...

A "compromise" can be buying Suzuki minivan or with other top e g pickup assembled in Phils from surplus from Japan. I dont knpw if the engines are surplus or new.  "New" such cars cost from only around 240 000 pesois but most of them have only 660 cc engines in CARS so an 8 seater - some Filiipinos say 13     :lol:    -   had problem to get up at mountain highway with only 2 big foreigners and a tiny Filipina!!!  Not good use of a car if  even new ones need to be pushed uphill   :lol:    But they make them with 1000cc too and when order new there are other options too as e g 4 WD and automatic.    There are such assemblers I know of a bit south of Manila,  in Cebu and in Davao.

(omo) The best is to first get here & then carefully consider your next purchase (if any)...as for me it makes more financial sense to be able to "write off" immediately (longer anything lasts here the cheaper it gets) & also to whatever else I may plan to purchase in the future (omo).

https://youtube.com/watch?v=tGoN0XUvnfY … ture=share

I am married (15 years) to a Cebuana dual citizen.  We live in the US purchased a house in Argao (gated community Ocean front ) for 10million pesos a few years ago. Plan on retiring here in a few years PT at first FT later we purchased thru Primary Homes Development

Closed