New members of the Greece forum, introduce yourselves here - 2021

Happy Thanksgiving from the USA! My wife and I are planning to move to Europe in 2022. My wife was born and raised in Romania and misses the European culture and being closer to her family. We have visited Greece in the past and have always felt at home there. From the research I've done,  I find the Kalamata area very appealing. If anyone is from that area, I would appreciate any input on your opinion on general life and any specifics.

Hello,Kalamata area generally is extremely lovely,it has a fine micro climate,more rain than Attiki which leads it to be much greener.Somewhere down there has some famous huge petrified ancient trees I would like to see.Of course kalamata has changed over the years,its less rural but get out a bit and in minutes you will see wonderful countryside and many ancient sites,Food is superb there as its a high growing area.there are lots of extremely sweet small fishing villages along the coast lines.I am in the Attiki area but get to the countryside at my cottage.Down on the Peloppennes would be my choice over others but not right in Kalamata as all towns now are much too congested and air quality can be poor.There is an airport but its not so far to Athens now with the new roads.

Hi I'm samadhi madushika. From sri lanka. I was work in Hong Kong last 4 years as a house keeper and nanny. I have work experience and recommendation letter from my before employer. I was work as a registered nurse in sri Lanka private hospital sence 7 years. And 10 years laboratory technician. I'm looking for a job in Greece as house keeper or nanny. Please I hope and wish get chance to work in greece. Thanks. My contact +94740630117, +94705667612

Hi there my name is Christos and I run a medical clinic based in Athens, [link under review]. I am here to assit/help answer to any questions you may have regarding your stay here in Greece

JoshuaH57 wrote:

... My wife was born and raised in Romania and misses the European culture and being closer to her family.

Hello,
Greetings from Romania!

JoshuaH57 wrote:

... From the research I've done,  I find the Kalamata area very appealing. If anyone is from that area, I would appreciate any input on your opinion on general life and any specifics.

- We also plan to move to Greece in a few years (retirement) and we did some extensive research... we also chose city of Kalamata. I have been to Kalamata 3 times and I liked it every time. We intend to spend all our holidays in that area, until we can move there permanently (in about 5 years).
- The summer climate it's hot, but there is always a breeze from the sea and everything is very bearable. Winter is mild and temperatures never drop below 4-5 degrees Celsius. The city is somehow located on the north-south axis, with the Gulf of Messinia in front and the Taygetus Mountains behind. This keeps the city safe from the cold winter winds that could come from the north. From my point of view, the Kalamata area offers good climatic conditions for living there permanently.
- From Athens to Kalamata there is a new highway and the traffic is very good. The journey takes only 2.5-3 hours, so the acces is easy. It's also a small international airport near Kalamata, but I think he's most operational in the summer time. I don't know for sure, must be studied.
- Kalamata is a city where you can live in winter without any problems, as it is not strictly a summer destination. It is a quiet and safe town that stretches along a beautiful public beach. In summer, the road near the sea (Navarinou street) is extremely picturesque because of the terraces, restaurants and cafes. There is also a central pedestrian area (Aristomenous area) with many shops and restaurants.
- From Kalamata you can make quick trips all over the area and everywhere there are small villages/towns extremely picturesque. The area is green and the relief is spectacular, especially in the western part. The people are very friendly and almost everyone speaks English.

If you have specific questions that you want answered, let me know.
Cheers,

Hello to all!

I am Ricky from Romania (54 years old) and I intend to settle with my wife in Greece for retirement (in about 5-6 years). For the last 15 years we have spent our holidays in Greece and we love this country... we love the climate, the people, the food, the music etc. Basically, we feel that Greece is a warm and welcoming country and that is why we want to move here. We chose the southern area, the city of Kalamata.

Hi,

I invite you to follow this topic on this new thread:
https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=969307

Thanks!

Closed