Looking At Moving to Greece & Working Remotely

Hi All,

I am a South African born Greek living in South Africa, Cape Town. My family and I are wanting to make a move to live in Greece, We all work online and are able to work remotely provided we have high speed internet (Fiber Connectivity).

We have been looking into Kefalonia or Lefkada, if anyone is able to advise on the Internet connectivity at either of these locations, or anywhere else that would be appreciated.

We are going to come over and rent initially and see from there, we look forward to making some good friendships and living the Mediterranean Life.

Jason, Tamara & Isabelle

Hello,

My opinion, experience.

OTE is the initial telephone company when it belonged to the state and was the only provider. Now called COSMOTE and is does not belong to the state, I don't know what shares owned by whom. Has branches named COSMOTE and GERMANOS (bought by cosmote).

There was/is OTE in every part of Greece, even remote areas, that is they have their own buildings with their own antennas, installations, etc. So landlines and some antennas are rented by cosmote to other telephony and internet providers. From this perspective COSMOTE has the best and most stable internet. For a number of years cosmote has upgraded to fiber.

Connectivity I was told is related to the distance you are from the DSlam, not sure I remember the exact spelling. As I understand it is the device that does the distribution for each area. For example I am about 4 kilometers from the DSlam and thus am usually around 12 Mbps, sometimes more, sometimes less depending on how many people are online at that time. This I measured about 4 years so now it may be better. Cosmote has fiber on its network but at home you have to request it as I understand.

You can google search for cosmote, vodafone, wind, etc in Greece and see their offers and “promises”. There is another provider that is wireless like radio waves. They promise 100 Mbps and no fluctuation because there are no cables involved. If you are interested I have kept somewhere their info for my future reference.

I can phone to cosmote for you if you want and inquire about connectivity in Kefalinia and Lefkada. I will tell them that it is for professional use and see what they propose.

I hope that I have given you some insight. I would guess other people will give more clarity from their experience.

Leon

We work remotely from the Argolid, Porto Heli, good internet with Cosmote, but we live in the port, connection not as strong in the more remote country villas.

Hi Leon,

Thank you so much for your response! I would be so grateful if you could inquire on my behalf what broadband offerings there are in Kafalonia and Lefkada and what the pricings are more of less.
Also the 100Mbps Wireless Radio could be a viable options, if you have this information that would be wonderful.

Thank you again!
Kind Regards,
Jason

I had a cottage way out in the countryside with mountains around and people said the only good reception was with Vodafone and the only one worth having.