New members of the Ecuador forum, introduce yourselves here - 2021

Hi all,

Newbie on the Ecuador forum? Don't know how to start?

This thread is for you ;)

We invite you to introduce yourself on this topic, to share with us your expat story if you are already living in the country,
or to tell us more on your expat projects in Ecuador if you are planning to move there.

It will enable us to help you better but above all to wish you a warm welcome.

Welcome on board!

Hola! My name is Sharyn and I am moving to Ecuador in 2022. I retire on May 6, 2022 at 4:00pm (in 482 days as of this post, lol) and hope to be in Ecuador within 30 to 60 days after that. I have been planning my exodus for several years now and can't wait! I visited Cuenca and the Yunguilla Valley last March for my pre-retirement exploratory trip and fell in love! It was everything I had hoped for and more. The people, the country, the food....everything! I'm looking forward to to exploring every area of the country and to making new friends. Hasta luego!

Hi! I just signed up here in the last week...in hopes of finding out more for my quest of pursuing my present ongoing compelling to relocate to Ecuador.  I tend to be fairly intuitive, and "go with the flow" of the heart-zone...though I do my best to balance it with  enough...but not too much...critical input from my "noggin". 

Being self-employed in my late 50's... I'm presently pondering the best "game plan" for my extended (hopefully eventually "permanent") stay there. Ideally, I'd like to continue my present work full-time in the Loja area that I am being drawn to... where I can continue my work online and locally with music and "sound healing" related work I have been doing for over a decade...and wouldn't trade for anything...though, to
help create the best "reasons" for my stay there, I'm somewhat open to some notions of a "plan B, C or D, if needed.

I'm not a "degreed" professional, so that works against me in going the "professional" route, visa-wise... with any luck (of a few more "ducks" lining up), I may be able to do some level of being an "investor", but there seems to be a process for that as well.  Though my Spanish is mediocre at best (being an ESL teacher for many years...but mostly focused on the Japanese community in the US) do happen to be fluent in English AND Japanese... which, may be more useful below the border in Peru...(and I have much interest in Peru as well, but not the strong "pull" I feel for being right where I want to be in Ecuador...in Loja...just north of Peru!)

Any input or insights for a hard-to-categorize Ecuador aspirant like myself would be most appreciated!  Ideally, I'd like to continue my work for another decade full-time...(in Ecuador!) and maybe semi-retired after that.  So I feel like now is the time to start moving forward with following my hopes in this regard. 

Thanks for any helpful insights!

:D

Delighted to hear your excitement, Sharyn!  I know the feeling!  Though we're likely on very different pathways, it's sure fun to dream of new beginnings in such a colorful place, isn't it?  And you've actually been there!  How KEWL is that?! Love it that you're counting down the days!  :D  ( I've only been watching many YouTube videos and such...but am quite eager to touch down there and begin my adventures!)
All the very blessed to you, Sharyn...as you happily count down to "touch down"!

:)

Thank you, Steven!  :cheers:

Hello there! I have been trying to find our forever home outside of the US. My wife and I are hoping to travel to Ecuador sometime this year and experience first hand why so many people choosing to move there. I have been researching different countries using the wonderful YouTube channel for about a year now. I have a cousin that lives in Costa Rica and loves it. But, Ecuador sounds so amazing. Hopefully, over the next couple of years, we can develop friendships here and eventually travel to Ecuador and find our forever home.

What's wonderful about Ecuador is the variety of options when deciding where to settle. The different regions offer a home to anyone looking for anything really....you can live in a colonial city, on the beach, in a warm and lush valley, at the base of the Andes Mountains, in quaint and quiet villages....I can go on and on. But what really makes the country so wonderful are the people so no matter where you decide, Ecuador is a great choice!

Sharyn! Wow! I feel like I'm looking in the proverbial mirror! The only difference between your story and mine is our respective retirement years - I'm 2023. When I began researching countries in 2016, Ecuador stole my heart. The people, food, music, and gorgeous countryside – what's not to love!

I've flip-flopped a lot between Cuenca and Ibarra, but have finally settled on Ibarra. (Lots of reasons). I was so excited to read your post this morning, Sharyn - it brought tears to my eyes to "meet" you. Everything about Ecuador brings tears to my eyes - happy, happy, tears! And I'm soooo happy for you, as well - it takes a courageous woman to make this incredibly bold journey!

Toda la mejor, Sharyn, see you down there!  :top:
Terri

You're going to fall madly in love with Ecuador! Be sure to post when you go down to check it out - I'll be excited to hear how awe-struck you are!

All the best, Terri  :top:

You will really love Ecuador

Dottore Lucas

Hola, Terri! Welcome and very nice to "meet" you! I can't wait. I think about it all day, wake up thinking about my move and I even dream about it. Why did you decide on Ibarra? I am starting in Cuenca and using that as a base while I get my ducks in a row (insurance, cedula, etc.) and explore different areas. I'm thinking about moving every year so I can experience all the different regions. Definitely Salinas, Santa Isabel, Loja and more are on my radar. My options are unlimited!  :)

I already do! How long have you been in Ecuador? Loja seems very nice. Why did you settle there?  :)

Absolutely Salinas and Loja! You go girl!

I don't know much about Santa Isabel - I'll Google it. I chose Ibarra for many reasons; it's at the base of a volcano, it's a moderate climate (I don't do hot), it's relatively small and quiet - I dunno - I just got hooked on Ibarra. I'll see how it goes, though  . . . who knows? I might check out Cuenca as well (probably will) and Cotacachi.

I'm not as adventurous as you, Sarah - I just want to settle and get a teaching gig.

Like you, Ecuador is all I think about. And now I'm thrilled to have a kindred spirit to share with!

Thanks for replying, Sharyn - Tenga un día fantástico.
Terri

Terri,

Definitely check out Santa Isabel. It's in the Yunguilla Valley so the temperatures are ideal! Not too hot and not too cool. I stayed at the Inti Kamari resort when I was there last March. Talk about beautiful! And some of the best food I've ever had.

Awesome, Sharyn, thanks! I'll definitely check it out  :top:

I've been a member of the forum for a while and can't honestly remember if I posted in this topic yet. My wife and I have pretty much narrowed the early retirement country to Ecuador. Still trying to nail down an area so we're going to attempt a tour in June/July, covid permitting, and then make the move in early 2022.  We're both beach people and I'm more adventurous. She's definitely looking @ south coastal, La Libertad to Playas area. I'd prefer more towards Olon, but I'll take beach any way I can get it. If anyone has any ideas, I'm open to ideas. All as I sit here in MD, USA and think about getting away from this winter weather ;-)

Good for you guyz! I hope you get to go down for your first look around. I'm shooting for later in the year to check the areas I think I'll like. Right now it's Ibarra (north of Quito), and most recently I've been looking at Ambato. I make my final move in 2023.

Unlike you, I prefer the milder temperatures in the mountains, but I know once I'm living in Ecuador, I'll be visiting the beaches as well.

All the best to you guyz!

:top:

Hi I am Scott.  I purchased an apartment in Quito and will split my time there and the US.  Just looking to benefit from expats already there.  No specific questions yet but glad to have found this forum

How do you find other threads?

goldman13 wrote:

No specific questions yet but glad to have found this forum

How do you find other threads?

Welcome to the forums of expat.com, Scott.

Click on the word 'Ecuador' (several lines from the top of this page, to the right of 'South America') to go to the Ecuador forum welcome page.  There you can select other threads .. or type keywords into the searchbox on the same page to bring up lists of existing forums.

cccmedia
expat.com experts team

Hola, imanaillacapangichic, салэм, сан байна уу,  Añyoung haseyo. Hi there. I will be moving to Ecuador this summer and am looking to connect with any Mongolians, Kazakhs and Koreans as well as other cool people. I am a professional singer and professor of Quichua and ESL  and am working with musicians from the above ethnic groups and have been singing with Indigenous Ecuadorians and speak Quichua and Spanish. My husband was recently elected as the first  Indigenous Ecuadorian congressman to represent Ecuadorian immigrants so we are moving back home for the time being. Warm blessings to all.  Naomi

Hi Naomi:

https://expatsecuador.com/visas/visa-updates-2021/

I don't know her name but a Korean woman married to an Ecuadoran is the director of a "coro" chorus in Loja.

Thank you.  I am already enjoying this site.

Thank you so much for the information. My husband is Saraguro from Loja , so we will be there often. Naomi

Welcome! Everyone is forthcoming and open - when you post a question, you'll get engagement, for sure!  :top:
How is it going in Quito?
How long have been in the city?
Is it everything you hoped it would be?

All the best to you!
Terri

Hello everybody.  Glad to have this resource.  Enjoying my time in Cuenca so far.  The 3rd city I've visited in my quest to determine if Ecuador will be my new home base.Thankful for the questions answered so far.

Best,

JD

Hi, JD -

I'm scheduled to go to Cuenca in June. How does it feel, Covid-wise? Are businesses open? Are people masking and observing protocols?

Thanks for any observations.

Natalie

Yes it seems the same here as most places I've been in Ecuador.  All the businesses are open.  Everyone wears masks on the street in the buses and whenever they enter a business.  Someone at the door will take your temperature and make sure you sanitize your hands.  Once seated in a restaurant it's fine to go maskless while you're eating.  I heard they had some recent problems in Guayaquil but I had no issues while I was there last weekend.  I've only been here for a few days but everything seems to be fine, a good balance between safety and “livability “. Also def the most beautiful place I've been in Ecuador so far.  But I'm headed to Galapagos for a month the end of April and I expect that place will top this one on a different metric.  Good luck with your trip.  I'm sure you will love this place

Thanks very much for the report!

Sure no problem. Hope you have a great trip.

Hi every one,

I'm Ligia for years have been reading Cuenca high life and I yearned to move to
Cuenca, I'm  in Cuenca right now with my daughter I have looked for places to buy, beautiful condominiums but interest are too high, I have family in Biblian and he recommends for the end to next year that the interest will go a little low.  If anyone is interested I highly recommend the realtor she is great,  Priscilla is very helpful in understanding your needs.  I want a balcony facing he mountains, windows in all the bedrooms and nothing facing any building. I'm leaving Sunday and now the protocol is lockdown so we are in the Centro in the fifth floor BNB apt no heat I'm freezing that is one of the downs of these properties,  but if you plan to move make sure you buy a heater and you will be able to enjoy Ecuador's economy, food, people and culture.

Adios,

Ligia

Hi every one,

I'm Ligia for years have been reading Cuenca high life and I yearned to move to
Cuenca, I'm  in Cuenca right now with my daughter I have looked for places to buy, beautiful condominiums but interest are too high, I have family in Biblian and he recommends for the end to next year that the interest will go a little low.  If anyone is interested I highly recommend the realtor she is great,  Priscilla is very helpful in understanding your needs.  I want a balcony facing he mountains, windows in all the bedrooms and nothing facing any building. I'm leaving Sunday and now the protocol is lockdown so we are in the Centro in the fifth floor BNB apt no heat I'm freezing that is one of the downs of these properties,  but if you plan to move make sure you buy a heater and you will be able to enjoy Ecuador's economy, food, people and culture.

Adios,

Ligia

Dear Ligia,

Welcome to the Ecuador forums of Expat.com ...

It is customary to reserve this thread for the self-introductions of new members of Expat.com ...

However, I am violating protocol to point out the number-one rule for arriving Expats in South America...

Do not consider buying property until you have lived in the target area for at least one year.

I might add .. especially during a pandemic.

If you need an explanation for this, I would be glad to comply, though on another thread.

My thanks to the Home Office for the indulgence of allowing this departure from protocol .. in order to make an important point.

cccmedia

Hi occmedia,

I'm open to any suggestions, but I requested to see a furnished apt. To see By Veronica Arpi a realtor, and for some reason she made so many excuses for me to see it.

Ill be expecting your information,

Thank you,

Ligia

lorquera77 wrote:

Hi occmedia,

I'm open to any suggestions, but I requested to see a furnished apt. To see By Veronica Arpi a realtor, and for some reason she made so many excuses for me to see it.

I'll be expecting your information...

Dear Ligia,

For self-introductions, this is the right thread.  For ongoing conversations, please post on another thread related to your topic.  At the Ecuador forum welcome page, there is a list of threads .. and the search box at that page can be used to locate many potential threads on topics such as finding a place to rent or live.

Additionally, there is a thread listed at the Ecuador welcome page called Introducing Myself As a New Member.  Even though the name of that thread is similar to this one's, the other thread is not considered as exclusive as this one .. and does not fall under the Home Office's interpretation of an introductions-only thread.  So you could post there about any topic of interest to you as a new member.

I'm unclear what you mean by saying you are "expecting (my) information."  Perhaps you could ask me by starting a new thread or posting a question on another existing thread.

Please note that there is no letter 'o' in...

cccmedia

Hello,
My name is John.
I am married to an Ecuadorian.
His name is Antonio (Tony for short.)
I have an Ecuadorian Permanent Residency Visa and a cédula.
I will be eligible for naturalization in August 2021.
My husband and I live half of the time in Quito and half in Metro Cincinnati.
We are going to move from Quito to Guayaquil but find it difficult to find vacant, rental properties.  We are looking to move to Guayaquil because Quito is too cold for me.  (We aren't able to find a place in Quito that has central heat!)  I can tolerate hot weather better than cold.
We seek at least three bedrooms and two baths, a/c, in central Guayaquil, where pets are accepted.
We can budget up to $1,000.00 a month in rent but hope for something less than $1,000.00.
I am a U. S. Army vet and have a 100% service-connected rating secondary to PTSD, MDD, and bilateral hearing deficit.  (I am a Vietnam War Era veteran.)  Due to my ear surgeries and hearing loss, I am having balance problems, have fallen a couple of times, and incurred a break in each foot with each fall.
I was a Licensed Clinical Social Worker, Licensed Chemical Dependency Counselor, and Certified Domestic Violence Therapist.
Antonio was  born and was raised in Quito and is a graduate of La Universidad Central de Ecuador.  His major was in financial mathematics and he has experience, working for the Ecuadorian government as an auditor.
Presently, my husband has a job in the United States and will be eligible for U. S. naturalization this August 2021.
We are not sure if, later, we will move to Ecuador full time because I have a son and daughter-in-law who lives in Metro Cincinnati.
We also have family living in Quito, mi suegra "Mamacita," (Liliana) and mi cuñada (Mariana).

Hola!
My name is Patsy, I live in Quito with my husband Paul. We are originally  from Dallas ,Texas we moved to Quito Ecuador 4 years ago for a retirement adventure! We wanted to experience a different culture and learn a new language during our lifetime and as we approached retirement age Paul began his search ultimately the short list consisted in of 5 countries in South America and Ecuador just felt right, after a second visit we were in love.
We are loving our life here in this incredibly beautiful and diverse country, we have made  wonderful friends and continue to explore this beautiful part of the world.
I just happened on this site because I want to sell a washer/dryer tower unit that we brought with us in our container for our guest suite... it never gets used and I could use the space for storage!!
Best wishes on your journey!
Saludos,
Patsy & Paul

Hi Patsy

Do you think it's worth moving to Ecuador. Business opportunities if any pls do share.

Thank you

Now that we have marriage equality, I married my best friend.  We are now husband-and-husband.  Antonio was  born and raised in Quito and I, in the State of Oklahoma.  I am now living in Quito.  Are there any fellow Gay ex-pats in Quito????

Closed